Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mason Lake, ALW 9-13-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 9:53 am 
Wasn’t quite sure which direction I was going to head to get to Mason today, but I knew there was going to be a “new” trail to Mason. The old trail was about 2 miles of steep and very rugged stuff. As I approached what used to be the junction to Mason and Bandera Mtn, the old sign was not there anymore. There was a white laminated sign saying the new trail to Mason was open but not completed. I didn’t exactly look, but didn’t notice the old turnoff to Mason at this point. So, I continued onward up the new trail. The new trail is quite nice. Still has a bit of steepness beyond a certain point, but is nicely graded. It continues what seems forever in the same direction (east, I believe). You just know you’re going way out of your way for going to Mason Lake. Passed a few trail maintenance workers with “VOW”, but couldn’t really tell what they were doing, since it all looked in great and completed condition. Fall color is coming out – particularly once you get out in the open on the upper slopes. You finally get to the junction where the new trail splits to Mason and Bandera. To Bandera you go straight up, and to Mason you backtrack a little to the ridge, then descend. Onwards I went to the lake. You’re soon at the ridge and you start the descent to the Lake. I’m not sure I understand the sign saying the trail is not completed because it sure looked complete to me! Got to the lake and Sable (my faithful hiking companion) went for several swims after sticks while I ate my Chicken Chipotle salad from Albertsons. After looking at the time, I realized, though it felt that miles were added onto the distance to the lake with the new trail (and probably a couple miles were), the time in getting there was (much to my surprise) not much different. Headed back and this time I DID notice the original trail to Mason at the original junction. All the fall leaves had just camouflaged it pretty well. Oh, and speaking of the fall leaves, the smell and the crunch of those leaves is absolutely fantastic among the cottonwoods. Aaaaahhhh! Oh, and FINALLY I did not get bombarded by bugs! Woo hoo!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 1:53 pm 
The trail is not complete: they haven't yet removed the sign saying that the trail isn't complete! lol.gif Another good report, cw.

Reuben

Reuben
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 8:18 pm 
Keep the reports coming CW up.gif I climbed a mountain/hill today and it had a vast view for 30 miles in all directions. I could see Santa Monica, Beverly Hills and downtown LA. Wow I felt like a Washington Mountain goat lost in cement city. frown.gif Fall colors, hit rampart ridge and Ingals for me. bawl.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Sep 14, 2003 9:00 pm 
I do not know if they are going to keep either of the old trails, does anyone else? Those with abuse in mind could still go up the trail to Banana Ridge (W. Defiance) and cross over on the Mt. Defiance trail. We used to like going up after work to Mt. Defiance, the new trail would make that trip too long.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 3:05 am 
the old old trail is so burned in, all it will need is folks knowing when to dodge uphill to take it. I'm not a big fan of extra distance, when I go in again I'll take the root climb over an extra couple miles any day!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Karen

Karen
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 10:28 am 
After several talks with volunteers and the Forest Service I have learned that they ARE indeed closing the old routes and do not want the old routes even shown on map. The old trails are "officially" closed though there is no reason why individuals who already know the old routes can't use them (I know I will probably use the old route as I like to make loops). Also, when I was up there on September 3 with friends one of my friends went up the old trail and ran into that nekkid hiker who was wearing a blue hat and nothing else. He was a fully clothed friend. She told me that he was an attractive fellow with a European accent and that he had a "good body" and was very polite. I wonder if that was the Snow Lake hiker. Karen Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder