Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 10:39 am 
We managed to find the only place it was raining on Sunday. Original destination was Nooksack Circque (sic) (who the heck can spell circue??) but we had a change of heart and ended up hiking the Goat Mountain trail instead. It was REALLY wet and raining pretty hard when we started up and originally we were going to go only as far as the look-out side which is accessed from a side trail about 2 miles in (1200 feet gain). We assumed that this trail would be easy to spot since it is mentioned in the latest edition of the Ira/Harvey guidebook to that area. But as an old friend used to tell me "ASSUME NOTHING". So we sailed right on past the blocked off trail and looked in vain for the trail which is described as easy to spot and follow. We kept on going and as we hiked the weather began to improve. We had to admit we had gone far beyond the point where the trail should have been discernible but we thought, "what the heck, we might as well do the whole hike now that we've come this far" and so we did. We are SO glad we missed the trail to the look-out site because the weather kept improving as we climbed as did the scenery. We never got full views of the surrounding peaks and ridges but did get several enticing glimpses and the sky was absolutely stunning. Some of the clouds were standing still and others were moving quickly across the sky -- billowing fog rolled over and around the ridges and the upper meadows of Goat Mountain were very colorful. Blueberry shrubs are dark red and Mountain ash also provided some fall color. Grasses are turning yellow and there were still a few flowers in bloom at the higher elevations -- paintbrush, asters, pearly everlasting. We didn't summit because it was getting late in the day but we could have gone on easily if we had had more time. I am not sure where the trail ends but we gained 3100 feet and were about 400 feet above the elevations listed for the end of the trail in the guidebook. There was nobody else on the trail. We had the whole place to ourselves. On our way back down we did find the trail that goes to the look-out site but it has obviously been closed off (a big branch obscures the trail) and it is apparent they don't want people using that trail anymore. I wonder why. We followed it a short ways but didn't hike to the end of it. We'll go back, though. By the time we got back to the car the sun was shining and it was hard to believe it was such a soaker when we started out. Fall color in these upper meadows is splendid. A worthy hike. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 10:53 am 
Here's one more photo of Goat Mountain. Karen
Fall color and fog on Goat Mt
Fall color and fog on Goat Mt

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Larry

Larry
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 4:08 pm 
A wonderful trip report. I would PAY for those kinds of days and that wonderful weather with fog and clouds and movement. Both images are stunning. Thank you, Karen

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 6:11 pm 
That fall color is nice Karen. Sounds like you lucked out big time in a number of ways BTW, I've found if I assume something, I'm wrong. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Larry

Larry
PostMon Sep 15, 2003 6:20 pm 
Newt the Newbie wrote: BTW, I've found if I assume something, I'm wrong. Right on, Newb! lol.gif