Forum Index > Trail Talk > Local Lore Weather Predictions - Weather Patterns
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 3:05 pm 
Legend has it, according to local Native American Indian lore, when a lone cloud is seen hanging over Tahoma (Mt. Rainier), it will rain within a day. I saw that cloud up there today and the report is now calling for rain tonight. Has anybody else ever heard of this weather prediction? Or for that matter any other lore-type weather predictions herein Washington? I am sure some humorist will come up with some cockamamie story and that's OK, but are there any serious ones that hold true for the mountaineering clan that perhaps some don't know about? I myself think it a good idea to be able to decipher clouds formations and what they might mean as far as the coming weather goes.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 3:11 pm 
Where I am, it just started to rain. "Red sky in the morning, sailors take warning; Red skies at night, sailors' delight" http://www.crh.noaa.gov/unr/edusafe/whys/visual.htm

PostSun Feb 10, 2002 3:16 pm 
Funny you should mention it. Saw a lenticular clinging to the top of the Mountain yesterday around 4:00 PM and wondered if it would rain soon or not. It's sprinkling at my house now at 2:00 PM so I guess that meets the 24 hour criteria. Weather changes following the appearance of a lenticular cloud caps on certain mountains is a pretty well documented.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 4:57 pm 
If you can see Mt. Rainier, it will rain within 2 days. If you can't see Mt. Rainier, it is raining. agree.gif And how... rolleyes.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 5:29 pm 
There is some sort of weatherological explanation for the lenticular dealamajigger predicting a change in weather, but not being a scientific cloudologist I do not know what it is. Somebody told me once though, so I know it is true. It started raining in Ballard at 2 also. mad.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 6:28 pm 
This is a great topic! I knew about the lenticular cloud over Rainier thing, but I'd love to hear other proven weather predicters! The red skies in morning thing hasn't worked for me. I've read the scientific theory behind it before, but it still rarely holds true, as far as I've seen anyway. Anybody else have more?

IBEX

IBEX
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 6:50 pm 
With words like cockamamie and dealamajigger in the same thread, me thinks I could bend in with this topic. The pancake shapes clouds that form atop Cascade volcanoes are a good forecaster of incoming weather systems. On the leading edge of the approaching front, the atmosphere is unstable and nearly saturated with moisture. As the air is pushed up over the mountain, the air condenses and forms the linticular clouds. It’s a good bet it will rain within 24 hours, or sooner depending on the wind speed. A similar thing occurs with vapor trails left by passing jets. But, I’m not sure how the Native American Indians dealt with that phenomenon. Here’s my take on the “ red at night “ thing-a-ma-jobby. biggrin.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 6:57 pm 
"Red skies in Seattle...better than gray" http://www.shoal.net.au/~seabreeze/weather.html

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 8:17 pm 
You guys are awesome! It's no wonder as to why this board is growing so fast. I commend you! Really liked the info related I checked out. One of these days, I'll have to meet all of you, that's if I draw myself away from Snohomish County and Scotty's (NWOG.ORG) haunting me with continueous Mt. (beloved) Pilchuck stories <grin>. I did meet Salish and his friend Ross the other night at the Trail Blazers, plus T.B. aka. Backpacker Joe there a month ago. Further, I guess every once in awhile I come up with a good topic that's of importance or at least has some intrigue. I wonder what else will come up from the others? BTW IBEX, great photo my man, excellent.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Feb 11, 2002 12:41 am 
Well, if Red skies are forboding, then it must have been a bastard of a day after this... http://www.waterfallsnorthwest.com/junk/sunset.jpg

Curt

Curt
PostMon Feb 11, 2002 7:43 am 
Ibex has got it right. I've been using the jet tails thing for a couple years now and it's almost always right on. Big, wide, spreading jet trails means moisture up there and soon down here. From all I've read, he's got the lenticular thing right on as well. If you really want to get into mountain weather, check out "wow". The guy is great. If you join, you get a laminated cloud chart that is awesome for predicting summit day weather in advance. www.wowweather.com

salish

salish
PostMon Feb 11, 2002 9:41 am 
McPilchuck wrote:
You guys are awesome! It's no wonder as to why this board is growing so fast. I commend you! Really liked the info related I checked out. One of these days, I'll have to meet all of you, that's if I draw myself away from Snohomish County and Scotty's (NWOG.ORG) haunting me with continueous Mt. (beloved) Pilchuck stories <grin>. I did meet Salish and his friend Ross the other night at the Trail Blazers, plus T.B. aka. Backpacker Joe there a month ago. Further, I guess every once in awhile I come up with a good topic that's of importance or at least has some intrigue. I wonder what else will come up from the others? BTW IBEX, great photo my man, excellent.
Hey, it was good meeting you too, Ken. I'll think of you every time I tie on a Skykomish Sunrise! Ross & I are anxious to start participating at TB. Regards, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 9:34 am 
Curt, I checked out www.wowweather.com and you're right, it's a very cool site. I especially liked his explanation of the Puget Sound Convergence Zone, how it develops and why it exists. I love the collection of mountain condition cameras too.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 7:50 pm 
According to local Native American Indian lore, legend has it that if your altimeter/barometer watch indicates a rapid drop in air pressure then inclement weather can be expected. A guideline passed on for generations goes that if the air pressure drops more than .08 in/2.4 mb (a 80ft/24meter increase in elevation reading) within a three hour period, then seek shelter immediately. Expect high winds whenever there is a significant drop in pressure as the surface H and surface L tries to reach an equilibrium. wink.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Feb 14, 2002 12:25 am 
Benjamin wrote:
According to local Native American Indian lore, legend has it that if your altimeter/barometer watch indicates a rapid drop in air pressure then inclement weather can be expected. A guideline passed on for generations goes that if the air pressure drops more than .08 in/2.4 mb (a 80ft/24meter increase in elevation reading) within a three hour period, then seek shelter immediately. Expect high winds whenever there is a significant drop in pressure as the surface H and surface L tries to reach an equilibrium. wink.gif
But for those of us without watches that have barometers built in, it may be a little difficult to tell if there has been a .06 change or a .08 change. We're not all human supercomputers you know... rolleyes.gif tongue.gif