Forum Index > Food & Grub > frying trout in the high country.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jun 17, 2004 11:03 pm 
Thanks MR. Curtiss!! you are the man in the high-country. thanks allso odanata..so much great info found here. I may try that cracker thing. I will only eat a few trout this year to supplement the food supply on a few 8-10 day trips. (my only major 3-4 trips this summer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Oct 18, 2006 5:26 pm 
Bump....Just thought that some people that haven't seen this thread would enjoy it as much as I have! up.gif

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostWed Oct 18, 2006 10:03 pm 
Hmmmm, sounds like a great idea for a campout... PIB's expertly fileted trout for breakfast, lunch, secondsies and dinner... slopers divebombing the lake...

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Oct 18, 2006 10:17 pm 
I take a pound of bacon on any overnighter where I am going to fish...I cook the bacon in the morning and same the grease to cook any fish that I keep for dinner in. It makes the fish taste great...I get alder smoked bacon...oh the taste is euphoric...this way I do not have to pack any butter just a little seasoning salt. I cook in a ten inch coleman folding handle pan...have been using the same for years now...I have skewered the fish in places where fires are okay...99.99% of the places that I go are above the alpine level where fires are not allowed...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Gil

Gil
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 12:10 am 
confused.gif
Quote:
99.99% of the places that I go are above the alpine level where fires are not allowed...

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 8:01 am 
As far as I know fires are not allowed above 4500 feet of elevation...

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 9:02 am 
The fire restriction is 4000' west of the crest and 5000' east of the crest. Even if you happen to be at a lake below this elevation there is often an arbitrary rule you can't have fires. A couple ridiculous examples that come to mind are Shovel Lake and Otter Lake. Both infrequently visited, plenty of wood, yet no fires allowed. dizzy.gif

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 1:25 pm 
Thanks I will remember that...

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 3:11 pm 
When I cook fish, I put a sharpened stick through the mouth and into the body cavity. I then push the stick through the tail meat and put it over the fire for about 30 minutes. When the fish is done, the skin will easily peel off to reveal the flaky meat. This techniques does not work if the fish is larger than 12 inches. For fish larger than 12 inches, lie the fish on a flat rock close to the fire.

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 3:17 pm 
So what do you do when you can't have a fire???

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 3:24 pm 
I generally stay away from areas that don't allow fires. In places where the rules are stupid, I might bend them a bit. There are some places in the alpine lakes which see only about 10 visitors a year or less.

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 3:38 pm 
Hopefully you are following those stupid rules and not lighting fires where they are not allowed...The best fishing is in the higher elevations...and fires are not allowed..thank goodness

-lol-

-lol-
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 3:45 pm 

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 5:29 pm 
I'm don't often eat fish, but when I do I use a non stick pie plate(also works good for pancakes in the morning), and I usually carry little packets of lemon juice and seasoning salt. This was a short hike so we had fresh lemons and lots of spices smile.gif
devils lake 005
devils lake 005

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
salish

salish
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 8:12 pm 
MtnWkr - that looks good! P-in-B: your memories of fishing and eating same in Ontario is interesting. My wife's family is from SW Ontario and one time her cuz came down with about two dozen frozen walleye fillets for us. He wanted to cook us dinner, which meant breading and frying the fish in lard, with several helpings of "canned potatos". It was the absolute best fish dinner I've ever eaten, hands down. A few weeks ago I did a week long kayak trip of the lower Colorado River, below Hoover dam. We paddled about 50 miles and every evening we'd catch tons of stripers (striped bass). I've never caught one before and I really enjoyed them on light tackle. Our camp cook is the best cook I've ever seen and works wonders with a dutch oven, but it was his fried stripers that sent us all over the edge. He breaded these fish in flour with some seasoning that I can't remember, then added a cajun seasoning to it. This was the SECOND best fish I've ever eaten.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.