Forum Index > Trail Talk > Painted Hills - Info wanted...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Mar 07, 2002 5:12 pm 
I'm planning a long weekend trip to the Painted Hills (part of the John Day Fossil Beds National Monument) in NE Oregon around late April/early May for flower season. Anyone been there before and want to share their experiences and possibly (preferably!) good photo locations? Is it quicker to drive from the north via Ellensburg (I90/I82) or from the west via Portland (I5/SR26)? The Portland route seems quicker, but I've never driven it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Mar 07, 2002 6:40 pm 
My Dad works for the Park Service and has been to John Day numerous times. Lemme talk to him and see what he recommends for sights to see. As for driving, I'd guess that it's probably about the same either way. Try going in one was and out the other and you'll have your answers.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 4:44 am 
Try doing the loop using 19 or 207, both are drives tru pretty country. Higher elev with trees or farmland. Also try taking some back roads when you get in the area. I remember taking some nifty roads that snaked thru some lava canyons and open grazing areas where you had to wait for the livestock to move. Pretty much one lane dirt roads. That sometimes took a while as they just stood and stared at you not wanting to budge. Had views that only the locals would see. Never been on 26 to Portland but it looks pretty. I was in the Fossil area in mid May 2 yrs ago and it was toasty warm, dry weather with crystal clear night skies. Saw alot of different birds and wildlife. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 2:57 pm 
If you're interested in solitude in some interesting country w/lots of wildlife try Sutton Mtn. I'm a bit hazy on exact specifics-but there's a state hwy that goes from Spray to Mitchell, OR-probably 207--the Gird Creek road cuts off to the Northwest---you're driving back towards the John Day River, but you'll note a large dry streambed that heads back up into the hills to the South/Southeast-I know that's not very specific--but you'll know it when you see it--walk up that drainage-we used to go up in there about 3-31/2 miles and camp--should be some water--if you see anyone I'll eat my hat...This is a really cool place!

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 3:45 pm 
I just drove through Highway 126 on my way to the Olympics in Salt Lake City. Yes I am rubbing it in! I drove from Sisters, OR to Ontario, OR on that highway. I highly recommend everyone drive that highway becuase I thought it was really pretty! Passes at 4000 feet and just a dusting of snow at the top--otherwise dry the entire way. The only boring part of the highway was just outside of Ontario where there are a lot of Angus Beef Cattle ranches.

Art is an adventure.