Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Sisters Lakes, W. O. Douglas wilderness 9/15,16-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Sep 17, 2003 12:22 am 
My first ever hike in the William O. Douglas wilderness turned out to be a mixed blessing. It started off great with a long, nice drive on Sunday past Mt. Rainier and over Chinook pass down to the Bumping river road. 11 miles of decent pavement then turn into 7 miles of sheer heck. Rocks the size of baseballs make up the majority of the road surface. The rest is pothole. Daisy and I slept in the car near a nice meadow about one mile back from the trailhead campground, where some touron was running a generator. We started out fairly late Monday considering we slept at the trailhead, about 11 am. It took about two hours to reach the first lake. It's a very scenic little lake, with lots of meadows and a view of Tumac mountain. I played with the dog for a while, letting her swim out for a tennis ball a couple of hundred times, and then we headed over to the larger lake to find a campsite. We had the whole lake to ourselves and we found a great spot to camp. Then we headed straight south off trail through the area between the lakes to explore. This whole area is tiny rolling hills dotted with small clumps of trees and spotted with tiny lakes. There are pocket meadows everywhere. We could have wandered for miles, but dinner called. We got into the tent right after the sunset due to the cold wind. During the night, it started raining, and it never stopped, except to snow. All night it rained, but I had set up a tight camp, so we were OK. Tuesday was our day to hike to the top of Tumac mtn and see the area from above, but the rain and snow were continuous and the visibilty was about 50 ft. We hung out hoping the weather would change, and I played with Daisy every time the rain would let up a little, then back into the tent. About 4 pm I decided that the weather wasn't going to improve, so I packed up during a brief let-up, and we hiked out with a stop at the first lake again. On the drive back, there was heavy snow falling, and accumulating on the road, at Chinook pass. If I had known the weather was going to change so drastically, I would have done the whole hike as a dayhike, which would be about 10 miles and 2,500 VF for the loop that includes Tumac mtn and a section of the PCT connecting back to the Twin Sisters trail. It would be easier than it sounds due to the smooth trails and moderate grades. I will definitely be returning here soon to see what I missed of this gorgeous area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikermike

hikermike
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 9:48 pm 
My kids and I have done the trip many times, and excellent first kids hike. Everyone goes on to the second "larger lake which I don't understand as the first is far more picuresqe, has more hidden campsites, and doesn't seem to attract the horses. It has good swimming also. A mosquito haven though. Too bad you didn't make it up Tumac as the views are stupendous.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 6:19 am 
I agree that the smaller lake is more scenic, but when I went there, several hunters had set up a camp at the first lake, and there were a couple of other tents set up nearby as well, but the second lake was completely deserted. I wanted to make sure my dog didn't bother anyone's horse or disturb their hunting spoils. I will have to look for the hidden camps next time. I hope to get up there again this year, maybe next week. I will probably drive out the night before and then dayhike the loop that includes Tumac. This is just about the easiest hike around to see such good stuff, with so many no-elevation-gain wandering possibilities. The sandy beaches are awesome for swimming!

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Sep 20, 2003 7:43 am 
If you can, while in the area don't leave out the Blankenship Lakes, Mosquito Valley, and drop down into Indian Creek Valley. These are all great and beautiful spots as well. Might be too much for a day out of camp but it's worth thinking about. The view from the top of Tumac to see all of this to the east is outstanding! I am hoping to go visit this area again too as I've actually never seen Twin Lakes---I've headed up the other trail to Mosquito Valley from the trailhead instead to hike in the back way to the upper reaches of Indian Creek and up into Pear/Perch/Peach Lake (whatever it's called smile.gif ). It's fun to do a hike in this area the day before high hunt starts to see the train of people heading in to set up camp. Fascinating setups they have---and every one I've seen and met are a book of information to chat with and are great folks.

foofoofunky

foofoofunky
PostMon Sep 22, 2003 3:29 pm 
My sister and I backpacked up to the second lake. I agree, the first lake is more picturesque. Was a nice easy hike, found a great campsite, built a nice fire. Didn't do much exploring once we set up camp because she fell asleep on the shore, but that's okay. For the first time, there wasn't fog when I went over Chinook/Cayuse Pass so I got to actually see what it looked like up there. Gorgeous! Mt. Rainier looked like it had a little fresh snow on it.