Forum Index > Food & Grub > Freeze Dried Food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 7:09 pm 
Which do you love, which do you hate? So far my general assessment on a scale of zero (hurl) to 4 thumbs up: Mountain House up.gif up.gif up.gif 1/2 Cup Of Noodles up.gif up.gif up.gif Backpackers Pantry up.gif up.gif 1/2 MSR Eco Cuisine* up.gif up.gif 1/2 Alpine Aire* hurl.gif *For sure avoid MSR Corn Salsa, Alpine Aire Chicken Gumbo

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 7:36 pm 
Enertia Trail Foods up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 7:57 pm 
Backpacker's Pantry, Enertia, lots of stuff from de grocery store, incl my favorite backcountry bfast, Cup o Noodles.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:39 pm 
Enertia rocks! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Some Mountain House up.gif up.gif ...just DON'T EVER eat the polynesian chicken hurl.gif It is so nasty!! It smells like medical sterilizer.... I eat a lot of Lipton's now, I used to be known as "StoveTop Stuffin' Sarbar" because I was so lazy and obsessed with going ultralight last year, that all I ate was StoveTop out of ziploc bags. All I had to carry was my tea kettle and spoon! Alpine Aire food-yuck down.gif down.gif down.gif down.gif It never rehydrates! The one made by Richmond foods-Natural High? I love their stuff, but it isn't the easiest to find! I love their turkey, mashed taters and gravy up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif Backpackers Pantry Camp Food line-cheap and filling and it isn't fancy. It's good grubbing food to put in a tortilla! Red beans and rice and chicken and rice are my favs. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:40 pm 
Marylou, I must have missed the food tasting results / summary but if I recall the worst one we tried was an Enertia trail foods 4 bean thingy? I remember being surprised by that since I had generally heard good things about Enertia.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:43 pm 
The sampler box thingie from Enertia is neat! But, yeah, not everything they make is great wink.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:51 pm 
Tom, it was NOT Enertia. That thing was Adventure Foods. We all loved all of the Enertia thingies. The 4 Bean chili from Enertia was liked by all, including you, though the AF Beans and Rice was universally reviled. You said, "it makes that sound when it hits the plate" about the Beans and Rice. If you email me your address (you too PBear) I'll send you a copy of the magglezine, complete with a picture of all of you chowhounds mugging for the camera. Quark has a certain "heroin chic" thing going in the photo.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:52 pm 
Natural High makes some good entrees, and most Mtn House are at least pretty good. The new Mtn House packaging is an improvement over those crazy plastic bags with cardboard choker ring.

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 8:59 pm 
Mountain House IS pretty good. The beef stew especially. I was disappointed to see what Enertia makes after hearing such good things about the quality of the product. None of the dinners sound good.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 9:05 pm 
You really ought to try the Enertia stuff before saying it doesn't look good. It is!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 9:12 pm 
Check out Adventure Foods... back east , a small co. that has HONEY Powder, and other natural foods. How many here pre-hydrate the pasta before boiling? I found that it cuts the fuel use a lot ( try warm water?) I have tried the Mountain house turkey tetrazinni (it rocks!!!!) and the meat lasagna is great allso.for brkfast the hash browns are great. agree.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 9:59 pm 
Yeah, I guess there's a few things that look good, like the potatoes and the macaroni. I'll have to try them.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostThu Sep 18, 2003 10:32 pm 
Enertia Foods The Allegheny Alfredo noodles are excellent, especially with the addition of some bacon bits. The Moosilauke Goulash is da bomb and my favorite. up.gif The Max Patch Mac & Cheese, Switchback Spagetti, and the Parker Pass Potatoes are pretty good as well. The Grand Canyon Cheesecake makes a really nice dessert, especially with the addition of some blueberry jam or even fresh berries. The only meal I'm not so fond of so far is the El Capitan 3 Bean Chili. Some advice here, if you are going to eat this one, don't use all the pepper flakes, take some Beano, and definitely don't sleep upwind of anyone else! I have ordered another shipment with two of their new meals included but haven't had time to pick it up yet.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:03 am 
I lean towards Mountain House myself. Funny tho, I thought the Polynesian was not too bad. Chicken Teriyaki + Rice? Tried a couple of Alpine Aire pull the string types that were ok. Haven't tried other brands yet. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 7:10 am 
I think it comes down too what one craves at night wink.gif I have had nights where I have made a dinner, I am starving-and the food is just nasty, my stomach shrivels at the the thought of consumption lol.gif But I always eat it, because the thought of packing out 12 oz's of wet garbage is an incentive to eat it lol.gif My problem with a lot of freezedried that has meat, is it seems to never fully "cook"-even using a fleece pouch for it to sit in for 10-15 minutes. Then my tummy doesn't feel so well afterwards! I love Mountain House freezedried veggies, I love freeze dried deserts, but I am careful with the meals.