Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tiffany Mountain-9/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Sep 22, 2003 5:24 pm 
The trailhead at Freezeout Pass is about a 40 minute drive over paved and very well graded gravel roads from Winthrop. The hike is short (3 miles, though you can continue on the main trail to other destinations) but uphill all the way, and it feels steeper than it is probably due to the elevation (it tops out at 8242'). The scenery is open lodgepole and whitebark pine forest for the first mile and a half, then rocky and grassy meadows for another mile (with some larches that are just starting to turn yellow), then steeply up rocky terrain to the summit. The landscape here in the NE (Okanogan) Cascades is quite different from much of the Cascades, which makes this hike an interesting change. There are sweeping views south and west once you hit the meadows (there are lots of nice places just for lounging), and the views from the summit are usually 360 degrees, from the jagged peaks of the North Cascades to the west and south, and over the more rounded peaks of the Okanogan Cascades in the immediate area (the view to the east was completely obscured due to smoke from a fire). We only saw one other couple of hikers on this beautiful end of summer Sunday, and there were no signs of hunters, either.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Sep 22, 2003 6:57 pm 
Great to see you got up that way---I was there three days after the Farewell Creek fire started and noted the larch trees along Freezeout Ridge and really made a note that would be pretty if you hit it right. Sounds like in 10-14 days it'll be prime! Did you see a hoary marmot on the summit? He was Mr. King of the mountain when I was there. Very comical critter. The hike toward Clark Mtn and over the pass to drop down to Tiffany Lake via Honeymoon Pass is awesome as well.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Sep 22, 2003 10:22 pm 
No big marmots (or any at all). We might have gone further (over Whistler Pass to Tiffany Lake) but the trail headed east right into a very smoky scene (the Isabel fire).

salish

salish
PostTue Sep 23, 2003 5:36 am 
Kiliki - I was just up in that area a little over a week ago, but not for recreational purposes. Still, I was hiking off trail and it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. We were around the Tiffany Spring Campground/Parachute Meadow area. I've spent many years camping & fishing in the Sinlahekin Valley, which isn't far as the crow flies, but I've never been up there. There was lot's of deer and bear sign,and quite a few grouse. Great area. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Sep 23, 2003 7:08 am 
Salish--that Sinlehekin Valley is one of the most stunning valleys in Washington if you ask me. Being in there in May this year the flowers were afire and the lakes of the wildlife area. Lupines were so thick the valley floor was a solid purple tint while the hillsides were so gree. Deer were around almost every corner: saw 28 of them driving through the valley enroute to the Loomis. Wild turkeys. I recall now seeing at least seven blue grouse on Tiffany also. Have either of you hiked up Old Baldy to the south of Tiffany Mountain? That looked to be another fine, very lonely area to get to.

salish

salish
PostTue Sep 23, 2003 7:53 am 
Alan, the Sinlahekin is my favorite drive-to valley in the state. I've been going there every May since 1992. Back in 93' my buddy and I were shot at by some goofball late at night, right from the road along Concunully Res., before you get to Fish Lake. It was a very strange night. Other than that, we've had no problems and really love the place. The place is full of wildlife, and as you probably know you can add rattlers to your wildlife list, especially around Fish Lake. I've never hiked in the Okanagon, but that will change now. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Sep 23, 2003 8:08 am 
I hiked around Fish Lake on the roads last May when I was up in the area. I never saw one but on three occasions heard the rattlesnakes back up under the brush/alders. Not a place I'll go summer bushwacking anytime soon. Another awesome area is the area west of Conconully---Starvation Mtn, Beaver Meadows. Ahhhhh....