Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's high on your list? - "To do" dreaming: hikes and peaks, .....
Previous :: Next Topic  
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge

Famous Grouse
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 7:33 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
.... beaches and bushwhacks - everybody should have answers to this one - and all the answers are good.

Troublesome Creek: this year it's the West Fork. Twin Lakes is the destination, though snow may be a problem in late May, inspite of the W-SW orientation of the slope. This is really Lopper's pet project and, hopefully, we'll be able to try it together (or at least on the same day, given my snail's pace).

Foss Lakes: this is a "family" hike, me and Larch and Ginger. It's been on the list for several years but somethimg keeps interfering, heat or bugs or something, so it's time. With luck we'll get as far as Lake Angeline.

Coney direct:a route designed to take maximum advantage of my slow speed - a straight line. Straight up the North Fork Snoqualmie, then diagonally up the slope of Lennox Mountain to pass the cliffs below Lake Kanim, then more or less directly up and over the ridge to Coney Lake. Most of the route is on open talus, which isn't fun with my stiff joints and non-existent balance, but which ought to be better than the same talus covered with some of the westside's finest brush.  wink.gif

--------------
Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:07 pm 
Oh, I've got a juicy list for this coming year but mum's the word (at least until I do 'em).  Let's just say there's one destination on the list which I hope will make one particular person veeery jealous wink.gif.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Michael

Michael

PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:18 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Huh... Not even going to give us a hint?  That's not nice!!!
Search for posts by this user Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy

Cube Rat
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:24 pm 
I'm already jealous...what, not even an invite!  smile.gif  I do want to go there at some point this year though. The steep-direct to the ridge for me.

As far as the rest of my list, well, it's pretty generalized at the moment. Want to hike more to the North and attend one of those bitchin' summer backpacking/car-camping socials with the various cool folks on this board.
polarbear

polarbear

PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:29 pm 
I have geocached my top secret list and misplaced the coordinates paranoid.gif  Price lake would be on it somewhere I suspect, though.  I'd also like to get to upper Lena Lake.  Last time I tried it the snow was pretty thick.

--------------
...and a window that looks out on Corcovado...  Corcovado Hill
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy

Cube Rat
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:33 pm 
The Price Lake by Hester?
polarbear

polarbear

PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:41 pm 
No, there's one beside Shuksan I'm interested in.  Haven't been to Hester/Price Lake.

--------------
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy

Cube Rat
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:49 pm 
Didn't think so! Hester and Price can wait.  smile.gif
polarbear

polarbear

PostThu Feb 21, 2002 8:57 pm 
Heh heh, I kind of suspected so.  Something tells me the Basin of Mystery or maybe its clone lurkes in that area.  Maybe the other price lake would be a good place for a geocache...  hmmm..... paranoid.gif  agree.gif  now here's a thought--per the geocache website, there's all sorts of people who will basically bushwack through all sorts of terrain just to find someone else's trash or treasure.  Maybe we should drop some coordinates of some hard to access places, wait a few months, and then follow the trails they have made.  biggrin.gif

--------------
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx

Armchair Alpinist
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 9:02 pm 
My list, yikes!
What I have planned this winter/spring/summer (in no particular order)

Mt Shasta - Hotlum Glacier Route (NE Side)
Mt Whitney - route?
Mt Hood - Leuthold Couloir Route
Mt Adams - Adams Glacier
Sahale Peak - Quine Sabe Glacier
Eldorado Peak
Three Fingers - North Finger
Mt Stuart - West Ridge
Dragontail Peak/Colchuck Peak
The Tooth - South Face?
Mt Shuksan - Fisher Chimneys
Glacier Peak - Frostbite Ridge
Mt Baker - Easton Glacier
Rainier - Emmons Glacier/Ingraham Direct
Rainier in a day (DC/Ingraham Direct)
Mt Olympus
Mt Constance
Del Campo Peak/Gothic Peak
Kyes Peak/Monte Cristo Peak

Next Year...
Mt Hood - Leuthold Couloir Route
Rainier - Tahoma Glacier
Baker - North Ridge
Whitehorse Mountain
Whitechuck Mountain
Forbidden Peak - West Ridge
Chair Peak - North Face
Little Tahoma

the list goes on......
anyone want to come play?
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 9:20 pm 
Ebineezer, the best way to Coney I think is the trail to Paradise lakes.  Raft upper Para.  and climb the ridge above Bear mtn. lakes.  The upper talus field is a good one for traversing.  Its easy.  Crest the saddle at its lowest point and hike the ridgeline to within 1/4 mile of Coney.  Then drop off the ridgeline's east side and walk the talus to the lake.

I'd like to do Crater lake, Bench, Woods and South Cascade lake, Berdeen lake, Enchantments, Snow King and its area,
Victoria and sylvester

TB

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

— Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver

Founder
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 9:26 pm 
My 'To Do' list includes:

* Point of the Arches
* Indian Henry's Hunting Ground
* Cascade Pass
* Fairy Falls
* Sol Duc, beyond the falls
* Queets

And lots more I'm sure I can't think of off the top of my head. I realize these are all fairly easy and some even 'touristy', but I haven't done them yet and they hold immeasurable photo opportunities.
polarbear

polarbear

PostThu Feb 21, 2002 9:30 pm 
Nice list scot'teryx.  Not sure I could keep up with you.  I've hiked up Mt. Whitney and it's a great hike. The quarter mile shortcut at the 4 mile point of the normal trail takes you to a really nice lake--a worthwhile short side trip, and few people did it the day I went.  I've said this before, but the area around Blue Lake near Bishop is also worth exploring if you have the time. I'm more of a  lake hiker, but I suspect there are some peaks in the area worthy of your attention.

--------------
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx

Armchair Alpinist
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 9:37 pm 
mcaver wrote:
My 'To Do' list includes:

* Point of the Arches
* Indian Henry's Hunting Ground
* Cascade Pass
* Fairy Falls
* Sol Duc, beyond the falls
* Queets

And lots more I'm sure I can't think of off the top of my head. I realize these are all fairly easy and some even 'touristy', but I haven't done them yet and they hold immeasurable photo opportunities.

MCAVER:
Cascade Pass:
Even though I was only there for a day passing through to get to Sahale Peak, that area is so incredible!
Hiking up from the trailhead provides unthinkable views of Johannisberg, the triplets, mixup peak, and more! Then the higher you get the more you see! Eldorado, Gorbidden, etc.
I would love to go down via Steheiken (sp?)
That would be fun!
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostThu Feb 21, 2002 10:49 pm 
Actually there are a few I don't mind sharing.  Polarbear's third? and hopefully successful attempt on S. Cascade sounds fun.  I also want to try Mineral Creek to Dutch Miller.  Crater Lake is fairly high on the list too.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's high on your list? - "To do" dreaming: hikes and peaks, .....
  Happy Birthday Hiker Mama, ReubenD!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: