Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's high on your list? - "To do" dreaming: hikes and peaks, .....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 6:27 pm 
My dad went in to Silver Lake back in the sixties. They rowed across Ross Lake and went up the outlet. They were up there in a snow storm.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 8:22 pm 
In Beckey's Cascade Alpine Guide 3, it talks about going in from the Galene Lakes Trail in B.C A mining trail evidently goes to the lower Galene Lake. they have a picture of the lake in the book (wish I hadn't seen it almost, it's pretty nice). Brian, I'm curious how long it took them hiking up the outlet. I thought I recalled reading a report in Signposts several years ago about two guys that spent 3 days thrashing there way up the creek from Ross, and finally turning around.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 9:19 pm 
Excellent thread! Silver Lake is a rough neighborhood. Mt Spickard has been on my list since I was a teenager. Closest we ever got was several hundred yards up Perry Creek. The Mox Pks scared us away. We were canoe-camping at Little Beaver CG on Ross Lk, and "having a look" as they say, at the approach via a long dayhike. I learned about NCascades Brush on that recon.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 10:19 pm 
There are several routes described in Routes and Rocks in the Mt. Challenger Quad, Tabor and Crowder, 1968. The first is the Beckey Route already described. The 2nd is the Redoubt High Route from Whatcom Pass to Bear Lake then down the Redoubt glacier to Sprickard then down the Moraine. I have done the start of it and that is not bad. I looked at the route from Ross Lake and it looks like mean Brush. They also give a route up Perry creek branching off Little Beaver which then had reminents of a trail it is attributed to Harvy M. I have copies of the USGS Aerial Photos and it looks like agreat place. eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 11:12 pm 
This message is to supplement Ptarmigan's message about getting to Silver Lake from the Canadian side. I'm pretty sure I know the road you are referring to, Ptarmigan You turned right onto it probable something like 3-500 feet before coming to a sturdy log bridge over a fast moving stream. It ended after about 4-5 miles at a landing, where you can see the saddle by Mt Rahm. I had a more than normal interest in that saddle, because I was sure one could see Silver Lake from it. In the 1960's, Clar Pratt and I talked about hiking to Silver lake from Ross Lake side. (Clar was with the then Game Department, in Public Relations.) We never made the trip. However, I think I know two prople who did. In the late 80's, I travelled the road I think you were on, Ptarmigan. By then the road had been abandoned and was ungated. The first time, we made it in a 3/4 ton 4x4 truck (to the landing). The road was pretty crummy in spots, but it was doable. However, the next year a slide had blocked access to the road shortly after you turned off onto it. Fortunately, we had come prepared with Honda 70's, and were able to walk them across the slide. There was evidence that we weren't the first ones to find a route through the slide. We were in the area several times over the next 4-5 years. Each year the road deteriorated and creeks became more difficult to cross. Canadian bear hunters prowled the area during hunting season with quads, and did some repairing, sort of, to keep the roads open. By about 1993, getting up the road (on Honda 70) was a real, pain--but it still was easier than walking 5 miles. We quit going. I doubt very much whether one can get to the end of the road other than on foot. And even then one will face LOTS of brush completely covering the road. Clar and I did obtain quite a bit of information. The key piece we obtained is that, going in from the Ross Lake side, the last part is t-o-u-g-h!! You have to go up the right side through almost vertical rock; the left side is impossible. And, you have to find the right (no pun intended) route through rock face, or you ain't gonna make it. Apparently, done right, it is doable, but can be scary.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 12:17 am 
It occurs to me that the easiest approach, albiet not the shortest, would be to take the climbers approach to Redoubt via Depot Creek, then ascend the Col between Spickard and whatever peak is to the north of Redoubt (no map in front of me). It's mentioned in the Beckey guides, looks to be mostly a talus slope, probably snow covered most of the year. I don't plan on going all the way to Silver Lake, but I was really hoping to go up Depot Creek to Ouzel Lake this summer, so scouting that approach would be possible. I'd probably do a long day trek for that, so I'd be pushing if I went past the glaciers. Anyone game?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 1:07 am 
Polarbear, My dad and uncle did Silver as an overnight trip. I don't know how many hours it took them. I'll see if my dad remembers.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSat Mar 02, 2002 1:43 am 
My dad doesn't remember how long it took them. He says it was a cold windy day. They had time to row across Ross Lake, look at the old mining(?) cabin, hike to the lake, find a camp site, gather wood, and attempt a bit of fishing in the cold and wind (but it wasn't much fun). They did not have time to explore around the lake. It is big lake had it had a glacier at the far end.