Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 4:51 pm 
Quote:
My pet peeve is the racists who hate native Americans and use their treaty-granted fishing rights as a phony excuse to attack them. These people (the attackers) are not only racists, they are backstabbers as well, since our government granted the fishing rights in exchange for other concessions, like taking 90% or more of the land they (the native Americans) lived on. Oh, what a terrible deal we negotiated, we got 90% of their land for free, but they still get to fish! Oh, the agony of our predicament! (Sarcasm alert).
N..ot...eas..y..to...resi..st....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 4:52 pm 
marylou wrote:
So if some creepo comes up to me and asks me if I want to ride his donkey, should I, out of courtesy? I mean it's rude not to, right? hockeygrin.gif
Just politly tell him that your horse is just fine, nod and smile and off you go hockeygrin.gif moon.gif tongue.gif

Jeff R
Closet hiker.

Jeff R
Closet hiker.
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 4:59 pm 
I am starting to get confused on this subject, uhh.gif so I am going to try to clarify my reasoning. Of course a "hello" is not mandatory or even needed, but the main reason to say it, is to be nice, the outdoors should be a fun,friendly place,right? Not just a place where everyone is living in there own little world, concerned with only themselves, I see enough of that in society already.

Ebrace life!
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 5:14 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Rude is rude. You can be just as nice and polite when you meet someone in the out of doors as you are on the side walk.
Exactly. The root of this issue might be our relatively new “MP3 culture” that began with the Sony Walkman. That is: “I’ve got my MP3 on. Therefore, even though we are in physical proximity to each other — on a trail, in a hallway, wherever — then in my judgment I’m excused from being polite and acknowledging you.” That said, nobody has any obligation to acknowledge anybody in any circumstance — but it doesn’t excuse the rude behavior exhibited by MP3 wearers and those too preoccupied to demonstrate common courtesy. A simple nod and a smile doesn’t take too much effort.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 5:54 pm 
Ml: Maybe because you are an attractive woman, people are more likely to want to say "hi" to you than to me, a disreputable-looking overweight man. lol.gif Some people say "hi" or nod to me as I pass, most just look the other way as if they fear eye contact. I guess different people have different experiences, so naturally they end up with different opinions. I usually hike on mondays and tuesdays, on lesser-used trails far from I-90, so I don't see very many people anyway. I know you go off-trail often, but apparently the trails you use to get to the off-trail portions are more used than the trails I stick to. Only when I go to a place like Spider meadows on a Sunday-Tuesday backpack would I ever run into the quantities of people you mention in your Melakwa lake example. I avoid such places and times (weekends) as much as possible, more because I would either have to leash my dog or leave her home, than because of the "hi" thing. PS: when I went to Spider meadows (both times), I left my dog home for that reason (lots of other people). The people who bug you at work know exactly what they are doing. The people who nod on a trail are innocent, if annoying to you none the less. Plus a simple nod is less of an intrusion than "riding the donkey of a creepo".

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:09 pm 
I fail to see the racist comments in this thread.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:44 pm 
marylou wrote:
This is what is going on inside my head:........ I'd like to think my time to think is my time to think in that context. confused.gif
Out of curiosity, when the trail is narrow and you're deep in thought, do you, expect them to let you pass? give them space to pass? give them space as you both pass? even know they are there? Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:51 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
A simple nod and a smile doesn’t take too much effort.
Yup. I find it doesn't even break my train of though to offer that nod. When people want to talk a bit, sometimes I'll chat and sometimes I wave and keep on walking.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:56 pm 
jenjen wrote:
Yup. I find it doesn't even break my train of though to offer that nod. When people want to talk a bit, sometimes I'll chat and sometimes I wave and keep on walking.
Exactly. The simplest solution is often the best, and you’ve summed it up nicely.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 6:58 pm 
I hate it when bills come in the middle of the month and have due dates exactly one week from when the bill arrived. For 17 years I have paid my bills at the beginning of the month - just gone through the stack of them systematically on one day and gotten the whole thing over with. (I hate paperwork, for those who haven't picked up on that yet. Absolutely detest it) It worked fine - bills normally came at the tail end or very beginning of the month. The last year or so, bills are coming in the middle of the month and they expect payment before the first comes around. This drives me nuts because yet again I have to sit down, dig out the checkbook, and do the whole filing thing. Did I mention I HATE paperwork? I realize this is pointless and silly, but that's true of most pet peeves.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:07 pm 
Quote:
expect them to let you pass? give them space to pass? give them space as you both pass? even know they are there?
I just make sure there is enough room for everyone to pass, using common trail courtesy, but not necessarily getting engaged. I'm seeing from the reactions here that you guys think I am doing the wrong thing. I will stop thinking on the trail, rather gassing up the car and driving deep into Eastern Washington, getting no excercise, and wasting loads of fuel, but hey, if hiking requires interaction with every stranger I encounter, it's obviously not the place for me to do any thinking. Thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps someone should notify the Forest Service so they can put up signs remiding people that the trail system is not a place for people to get wrapped up in nature/and/or their own little world, and to be sure to greet eveyone they see on the trail.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:19 pm 
Now you're on the right track ML. I knew you were like other folks. Seriously, a simple nod is courteous and shouldn't break your train of thought any more than negotiating an obstacle on the trail.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 7:32 pm 
marylou wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps someone should notify the Forest Service so they can put up signs remiding people that the trail system is not a place for people to get wrapped up in nature/and/or their own little world, and to be sure to greet eveyone they see on the trail.
Ummmm, a nod and a greeting are two different things. Nobodie's saying you have to stop and talk. Just look over, bob your head and keep walking.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 8:32 pm 
The racists are the worst, and you can spot them a mile away. agree.gif They are speeding up to catch you and let you know how racist they are. agree.gif agree.gif Then they pull ahead. mad.gif Then they stop for a snack. burger.gif Then you pull ahead. up.gif The race is on. Now you are racing the racists. lol.gif Now you are a racist. frown.gif Now they pull ahead of you. eek.gif Now you stick out your foot and trip them. rotf.gif Now you pull ahead of them. hockeygrin.gif Now they whip out a Power Bar. borank.gif With a surge of energy, they pass you and give you a hip check. battlecage.gif Ahhh, but you have your padded fanny pack on. sneaky.gif They bounce off you and plunge into a ravine. hairy.gif Now you laugh out loud and take a quick nap. zzz.gif But you wake up and you realize you've been passed. curse.gif You run furiously up the trail. ninja.gif They are crossing the bridge to the lake's outlet stream. You blaze across the bridge, knocking one off the right side, the other off the left. nopity.gif whaambulance.gif Now there will be only one racist at the lake instead of three. up.gif up.gif up.gif

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Jun 05, 2005 9:44 pm 
It BUGS me when I go for a hike all day in the RAIN, and SNOW, then come back home to seattle, where it is SUNNY huh.gif NOT fair rant.gif mad.gif doof.gif vent.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/