Forum Index > Photography Talk > Memory cards
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 3:14 am 
I'm about to sink the bucks into a Canon 300D Digital SLR. I'll be going with either a 256MB or 512MB CF card. There are alot of different cards on the market. Any recommendations on quality, manufacturer? In other words, what is everybody using and are you satisfied? Thanks BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 10:01 am 
BW, unless you do a lot of continuous shooting and shoot multiple frames per second you won't notice any difference between the ultra fast cards and the average ones in the 300D due to the memory buffering. I'd stay away from the slower cards though (in particular the standard Sandisk). For the 300D I'd recommend 1GB of memory minimum. BTW, if you're patient you'll be able to get the 300D for 10% off at Dell Home. However, unless you need a camera for the cold winter I'd wait and see what else comes out. After a ho-hum 2 years there are rumors a lot of good stuff on the way, and better yet, the 300D is putting significant downward price pressure on the new introductions. In the fast paced digicam world it's better to buy at the beginning of the hiking season as opposed to the end.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostFri Oct 03, 2003 3:59 pm 
Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the info. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 8:35 pm 
Tom, why would you recommend 1GB minimum?! That's a LOT of memory! I've got a 1 GB card and it's just waaaay too much, unless you shoot off your shutter like a machine gun, I suppose. It all depends on what format you shoot in and how many frames you think you need per card. For portraits I shoot in RAW mode (large files) and I get over 100 images per 512 mb card. For sports shots I shoot in jpeg fine mode and can get probably over 200 images per 512 mb card. Another reason I like the 512 is that the images will all fit on on cd. With a 1 GB, you may need a couple cd's or a dvd. And then again, are you talking about taking minimum pack weight for a weeklong backpacking trip.... In any case, it all depends on how you shoot and what your needs are.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 8:53 pm 
Well, Bushwacker was asking about the 300D which is a 6 MP camera. If you look at the dpreview.com review, RAW files average approximately 6.6 MB on the 300D, meaning only 69 images on a 512 MB card. That's not a lot of images, particularly if you bracket, shoot panoramas, etc. I routinely shoot 200+ images on a trip. As far as fitting everything on a CD, I don't let that dictate my shooting style. If the shot is there I take it (and then a few more for good measure). Not all of the pictures are going to be keepers so after you filter out the non keepers it should easily fit on a CD.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 9:59 pm 
That's a lot of pics on a trip! Plus, why bother bracketing if you shoot in RAW mode?! You can fix your exposures in the computer! I can adjust my pics up to 2 stops of light with Nikon Capture. And then do more stuff in Photoshop. My D100 is a 6.1 megapixel camera and when I put in a 512 card, my camera will initially say I can shoot about 52 images in RAW mode. However, once I start shooting.... today, for example, I got down to where my camera said I only had 6 images left, yet I'd already shot 92 shots!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 10:28 pm 
You have greater latitude for adjusting over/under exposure with RAW, but it isn't going to be as good as getting the exposure right to begin with. I only bracket when I plan to blend exposures later (in lieu of using a graduated ND filter to avoid blowing out the sky). I wouldn't want to rely on RAW in this case. I consistently run out of space shooting RAW with my G3 with a 1 GB card. I can't imagine shooting RAW with a 6 MP DSLR with only 512 MB of memory, particularly if I'm going on a multi-night trip. Why pay big bucks for a DSLR, then skimp on the memory?

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 10:38 pm 
I don't skimp on the memory at all. I just don't have a need to click my shutter like a machine gun.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 10:49 pm 
No reason to at Dorothy and Bear Lakes. wink.gif Go somewhere like the Enchantments and you'll be singing a different tune.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 1:19 am 
I've found that unless you plan on getting 8x10 prints or something, shooting RAW is pretty much unnecessary. I've been shooting at Max. quality JPG for months, and I can't tell the difference from a RAW shot (with my G3). And I do bracket a lot as well, and the space saved is definitely helpful. But when talking about storage...you can never have too much space. If you don't use it now, you may use it in the future with a different camera. Like Hard Drives...yesterday's programs are puny in size when they are put on 120gb hard drives, yet they took up 50% of the drive 5 years ago. Ah, technology. dizzy.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 1:58 am 
Tom wrote:
No reason to at Dorothy and Bear Lakes. wink.gif Go somewhere like the Enchantments and you'll be singing a different tune.
Agreed...I filled *both* 1GB cards I took with me on a 4-day expedition into some incredibly scenic country this year. That's roughly 500 shots on each card, 4-megapixels, saved as high-quality JPEGs. Those 977 pictures eventually became 399 photos through culling at home, but it's easier to evaluate a picture's worthiness when I get home on a 1600x1200 pixel 20-inch LCD than making a snap decision looking at a 1.5-inch LCD with 1/16th the resolution. If weight isn't an issue, I'd look into a HD-based solution. I recently set up a friend who was going on a 3-week trip to Kenya with the following: Enclosure - $90: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VP-2060&sourceid=qDRCP6TGEg2KAknDZCiZ&bfinfo=123400-0-0-0-u48l0 Hard Drive - $65: http://www.globalmicro.com/category.asp?C=3 At $155 for 30 gigs of storage, he was a happy camper and now has quite the archival system for his long trips.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 8:39 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
I've found that unless you plan on getting 8x10 prints or something, shooting RAW is pretty much unnecessary.
Being a portrait photographer, I DO plan for 8x10's, 11x14's, 16x20's, etc. So raw is quite important. When I shoot sports action stuff, I shoot jpeg fine, and I shoot a lot more pics. I'm not big on landscape photography so I don't often care about taking many pics on hikes. I, personally, don't like to shoot 10 pics on a 1GB card and then format it. Each time you format it you're reducing the life of the card. I'm told they don't know at this point what that is, but ..... And 1GB cards are very pricey for those of us who haven't struck it rich yet. Not everybody's got money to burn. Everyone has different needs! Which was my point in replying in the first place. More power to those of you who need 1GB cards!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 9:57 am 
Who says you need to format it? Just delete the images. I rarely format my cards. There's no need.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 1:49 pm 
Money to burn? Man the D100 ain't exactly cheap. biggrin.gif Ditto on what MCaver said about formatting. I think I've formatted my card once or twice in 3 years. I have a hard time believing formatting a card impacts the life. It's solid state. There's no moving parts. No chemicals like a battery. The camera's gonna wear out before the CF card ever does, even if you formatted it every day, and most memory comes with a lifetime warranty anyway.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 2:13 pm 
So I understand this setup, they are used seperate and then connected together for image download? Or? Thanks, NN
Dayhike Mike wrote:
If weight isn't an issue, I'd look into a HD-based solution. I recently set up a friend who was going on a 3-week trip to Kenya with the following: Enclosure - $90: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VP-2060&sourceid=qDRCP6TGEg2KAknDZCiZ&bfinfo=123400-0-0-0-u48l0 Hard Drive - $65: http://www.globalmicro.com/category.asp?C=3 At $155 for 30 gigs of storage, he was a happy camper and now has quite the archival system for his long trips.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.