Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Ann
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat Oct 04, 2003 10:52 am 
We decided to take a trip up to the Mt. Baker area on Friday. We haven't been there in many years so it was time. Originally we planned to do Winchester Mountain but I overslept and we got a late start. So we decided on Lake Ann. It was overcast and foggy until we were a ways up the Mt. Baker Hwy. The color is off and on until you get to the switchbacks near White Salmon. The color was good around Picture Lake. It is about 2 1/2 hours from Edmonds and we got to the trailhead shortly after 11. It was actually quite warm. Even the breeze was very warm. We were prepared for a cool fall day and didn't expect that mid-70's at all. It was a pretty sweaty hike for me. The trail is in the typical westside trail condition, roots and a lot of rocks. The trail drops about 600 ft through lots of blueberries. They are still on the bushes but starting to raisin up. You'll find both types growing together all along the trail. They are also brillant red and just starting to loose a few leaves. The Ash is mixed. Some areas they have lost all their leaves and in other places still green. After crossing a couple streams, the trail will start climbing to a saddle. The trail is mostly on rock and a little hard on the legs but not bad. Lake Ann is much smaller than I expected. We lunched at the saddle with top views of Shuksan. After lunch we meandered over to the closeup views of the Shuksan glaciers and hiked around the lake. We headed back down and had some glorious golden moments hiking in the backlighted leaves of red blueberries and yellow ash. By time we reached the steam valley, it had darkened (4pm) but it was still quite warm. I tried to save a bit of energy for the last push but was tired by time we made to the car. We drove to La Connor for dinner at La Connor Brewery. The Skagit valley was socked in with fog. It was an eerie drive around the flats but the brew was great as usual. Pictures posted on this thread and this thread.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 6:42 pm 
What a difference a week makes! I heard on the radio today that they have closed Mt. Baker Hwy above the lodge. Sure enough here's the announcement from the DOT.

foggy

foggy
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 12:24 pm 
I've only been there once in August, I went with Slowpoke, I was really hoping that my hubby and I could get up there before the road was closed. shakehead.gif frown.gif Maybe next year. Lake Ann area is so beautiful. It's good for an overnighter unless you are crazy enough to go up the climbers route. When we were there, we saw hikers hiking on the glacier, (lower Curtis) that gave me the willy's, the glaciers had been cracking and making all kinds of racket, and it was very hot too. I know there's no way unless it was life or death you could get me out on the glacier, especially when it's cracking and booming.

chucku

chucku
PostFri Oct 24, 2003 12:38 am 
For various reports and photos on the Lake Ann hike, check out this link: http://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2835

Aging: it beats the alternative!