Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Daniel
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 4:03 pm 
The weather this weekend was just too good to pass up and the NE Ridge of Mt. Daniel beckoned. Leaving from the Cathedral Pass TH on Saturday morning, we headed up to Peggy's Pond and found a way trail that led up to the NE Ridge. Following the ridge we were led into a wonderland of alpine scenery with lakes and peaks everywhere. Unfortunately the smoke from the Crystal Creek fire created a haze but nonetheless, the scenery was spectacular in spite of it. This weather has been unbelievable. I keep pinching myself and wondering how much longer it can last. I had my good friend Bob (SMMSLT) and Bill as companions and Bob's familiarity with this mountain was a nice plus to have. Our goal was the west peak since it is the highest and is also the county highpoint of King and Kittitas counties. As I looked over at the Citadel, I thought of Randy's climb of that all by himself back in August. The ridge leading down from the Citadel to the east looked interesting and there was a lake very high up on the flank of the ridge. I'm wondering what its name is, perhaps Vicente but I could be wrong on that . Circle, Venus and Spade Lakes were all treats to look at as was the mountains of the Snoqualmie area. Wow, what a spectacular place to be. The route to the West peak involved sidehilling the west side of the East Peak, climbing up a scree slope to access the plateau that led past the middle peak and then on to the last minor climb up to the West Peak, which isn't anything more than an easy scramble. We found the mountaineers register and signed in. The summit of west peak is the best seat in the house....what a view. Pea soup lake was at our feet and there are a lot of interesting rock structures nearby. Did I mention the weather.... up.gif up.gif Note: Thanks to BPJ for the correct name: Its not Split Pea Soup Lake, just simply Pea Soup Lake rolleyes.gif I dunno, I kinda like Split Pea Soup as a soup tongue.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 7:31 pm 
Wonderful report Doc. I would have liked to have gone with you! Great pics too. Oh and Doc, it's JUST Peas Soup lake! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
smmslt
Prominencian

smmslt
Prominencian
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 10:08 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Oh and Doc, it's JUST Peas Soup lake! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif TB
biggrin.gif I love it when someone corrects someone else with another mistake! It's not Peas Soup Lake, it's Pea Soup Lake!! biggrin.gif Nice report Dean. I'm sure I forgot to say that the views were completely ruined by the smoke - or did I mention that? wink.gif And BPJ, thanks for your help "straightening" out the doc - he just couldn't seem to get that lake's name right. I tried to "drill" it into his head, but somehow the "cavity" in his skull refused my attempts at "filling" it with the correct information. hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 9:39 am 
Rats. OK OK OK , I MEANT PEA soup lake. Although I like split pea soup better! winksmile.gif
Quote:
somehow the "cavity" in his skull refused my attempts at "filling" it with the correct information.
Hardy har har. You guys KILL me! dizzy.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif TB lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 9:43 pm 
The beauty of that area is fantastic so the name of the lake is just a minor consideration

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 10:11 pm 
Just teasing you Doc. Great shots. Love those Spilt Pea Soup shots the most. TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 10:27 pm 
I know you are BPJ. Any idea of the name of that little lake on the side of the ridge that the Citadel is on?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 10:39 pm 
I'm willing to bet it not supposed to BE a lake. This summer was wicked warm and dry. That there little body of water isnt normally there I think Name her what you want Doc. TB

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 10:47 pm 
Well, that makes sense. I couldn't find it on any of the maps I've got.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 7:18 am 
What a difference a year makes. Dean, compare your photos from the ridge with these taken in mid August last year. Quite a bit less snow/ice.
Looking down on the Hyas Glacier from the ridge.
Looking down on the Hyas Glacier from the ridge.
The east peak of Mt. Danel from high on the ridge.
The east peak of Mt. Danel from high on the ridge.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 4:58 pm 
Quote:
What a difference a year makes. Dean, compare your photos from the ridge with these taken in mid August last year. Quite a bit less snow/ice.
Indeed, there is quite a difference. I'd love to see more of your pics. What did the route on the west side of east peak look like when you were there?

smmslt
Prominencian

smmslt
Prominencian
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 10:11 pm 
CascadeHiker on the SE ridge of Daniel
Here's a shot of the doc coming up the SE ridge of Daniel with Round Lake behind. The smile belies his "I hate uphill" mantra. suuure.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 11:14 pm 
Dang dentists. Gotta show off their teeth whenever possible! winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif TB

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 12:48 am 
That little lake is something beautiful! cool.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 5:41 am 
Quote:
Here's a shot of the doc coming up the SE ridge of Daniel with Round Lake behind. The smile belies his "I hate uphill" mantra.
As Bob well knows, I truly hate the going uphill part. Hiking and climbing would be alot more fun if you could leave this part out rolleyes.gif