Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > You know you're from the PNW if....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 8:09 pm 
A friend forwarded this to me. I thought you all might like a fun read. Comedian Jeff Foxworthy compiled a list that helps people determine whether they're from the Pacific Northwest: 1. You know the state flower (Mildew) 2. You feel guilty throwing aluminum cans or paper in the trash. 3. You know more than 10 ways to order coffee. 4. You stand on a deserted corner in the rain waiting for the "Walk" Signal. 5. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and Veneto's. 6. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho, and Sockeye salmon. 7. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon &Yakima. 8. You consider swimming an indoor sport. 9. You can tell the difference between Japanese, Chinese and Thai food. 10. In winter, you go to work in the dark and come home in the dark-while only working eight-hour days. 11. You never go camping without waterproof matches and a poncho. 12. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation. 13. You know that Boring is a town in Oregon and not just an airplane manufacturer. 14. You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50, but still wear your hiking boots and parka. 15. You have actually used your mountain bike on a mountain. 16. You buy new sunglasses every year, because you can't find the old ones after such a long time. 17. You use a down comforter in the summer. 18. You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit under a raincoat. 19. You know all the important seasons: Almost Winter, Winter, Still Raining (Spring), Road Construction (Summer), Deer and Elk season (Fall). 20. You actually look forward to hearing rain on your roof. 21. You can spot a Californiaian, when it rains. We...just saunter. 22. You look to the day a SUV is named the 'Snoqualmie'. It will have umbrella holders.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 9:01 pm 
lol.gif up.gif

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 9:43 pm 
Jeez I thought he was one of those "where are they now?" comics like Yakiff Smirnoff or Gary Shandling or Tim Allen.

hikermike

hikermike
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 8:33 am 
You could add: You don't laugh when you hear someone say Walla Walla or Hamma Hamma.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 11:24 am 
OR: Tukwila OR: Mukilteo Remember the Bugs Bunny cartoon where he was reading witchcraft incantations to that vampire? One of them that turned the vampire all inside out was, WALLA WALLA WASHINGTON! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 2:34 pm 
....you know that you can't go out hiking without paying for a fee to some government agency. ....you know that REI is not a cooperative. ....you know that fools only buy milk at $3.00 a gallon ....you know that "offshore flow" is good and "onshore flow" is bad

Art is an adventure.
catwoman

catwoman
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 6:35 pm 
Stefan, I thought I was from the PNW until I read what you wrote. I didn't understand the last three. confused.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 6:38 pm 
I think Foxworthy's list is right on the money but I guess it doesn't seem all that funny, just the truth. Except of course the one about the SUV. As he pointed out, we don't use umbrellas, so why would we need a car with umbrella holders? dizzy.gif I also didn't get Stefan's last three, though groceries are really expensive here. I think I might be dumb for not knowing the "offshore/onshore" thing.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 6:45 pm 
Onshore flow means the wind is from the west (off of the ocean) and bringing in potential storms. Offshore flow means the wind is from the East and pushing the storm clouds away from us. Onshore = rainy and blech Offshore = sunny and warm

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 6:46 pm 
Yah, I went and Googled it.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 7:51 pm 
You know your from the pnw if You don't wash your car after a dusty mountain trip because you know the rain will take it away in a day or two. You buy chains for the big storm that never happened. You own three pairs of chains but only have one car. You know what a floating bridge is. You know where half of the floating bridges now reside. Every planned hike requires a mirrored opposite backup plan on the east side.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 8:46 am 
...you switch from "heat" to "a/c" in the same day. ...you knew immediately that the view from Frasier's condo was fake. ...you wait in anticipation for a sign of movement in Dan Lewis' hair. ...you don't need no stinkin' Field Guide to identify slug types. ...you are not repulsed by the sight of a geoduck. ...you actually know how to pronounce geoduck. ...you think the Pillsbury Doughboy has a nice tan.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 10:58 am 
catwoman wrote:
Stefan, I thought I was from the PNW until I read what you wrote. I didn't understand the last three. confused.gif
REI is not a cooperative. The last word in REI is "Incorporated". I thought everyone who is true and blue to the NW knew this. A report the last month by the Seattle Times said that one gallon of milk costs the average consumer in Washington $3.52. http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=milk08m&date=20030908&query=milk Who pays $3.52 in Washington? No one. Everyone goes for milk when it is on sale.....or at Costco. Onshore and offshore. What Jenjen said. I thought everyone knew that too. Just like people knew what's the difference between "scattered showers" and "showers".

Art is an adventure.
Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 11:04 am 
...you know what "green death" is or have used the term "half-rack."

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 11:06 am 
....you know and have experienced all 11 forms of precipitation. ....you despise the fact that so many Californians came up during the 80's and superinflated housing prices.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.