Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > WT mag market research
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 5:16 pm 
I know there are a number of people here who are WTA members and/or read the WTA magazine. Can you say what it is you like the best about the magazine? What do you like the least? This is an informal deal, I am just wondering....always stiving for greatness, one might say.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 5:38 pm 
Actually, I thought the one you sent me in the mail was pretty good, except for the propaganda on the middle fork coupled with the glowing article on tank lakes - how ironic eh? embarassedlaugh.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 6:22 pm 
I personally did not agree with the running of that thing on the Tanks. down.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 6:23 pm 
I'll take a look at a new copy to see what it looks like. I used to get it, but especially lost interest with long out of date trail reports. When the website started featuring them that of course signed the death knell for them in print I would think.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 7:46 pm 
I only subscribed one year but liked it as a magazine. The gear reports, 11th essential, featured articles, letters to the editor--all good. Do the trip reports in the magazine include photos from the writers?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 8:01 pm 
I do not mind it but will not support with my $$$ political views i.e. MF contrary to mine.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 8:07 pm 
polarbear wrote:
I only subscribed one year but liked it as a magazine. The gear reports, 11th essential, featured articles, letters to the editor--all good. Do the trip reports in the magazine include photos from the writers?
Yes, whenever possible. I would encourage you to send a photo to editor@wta.org if/when you submit a TR of any note. Be sure to explain what it's for as the TRs are posted on the site by one person, the TRs are culled from the ones on the site by another couple of people, and the editor does the layout. PB, I have a copy of the mag witht he food test right here for you. If you give me a mailing addy I will send it. You are even in a picture with the rest of your cohorts.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 9:37 pm 
Not that it matters but I've never had the pleasure of seeing the actual print magazine although we have been posting reports & photos for years. Does anyone know if any of that actually made it into the magazine? Thanks

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 08, 2003 9:46 pm 
Well, I agree with Mal. Hmm, that doesn't happen that often. No disrespect meant there Ole Mal. Hope it doesn't bother you to much that you and I are like "PALS" on this one! hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Oct 09, 2003 8:49 am 
I skip the articles by this Allosin Weeds(sp?) girl. Personally, I submit, read, and prefer the Pack and Paddle magazine.

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Oct 09, 2003 5:50 pm 
Stef, I don't blame you. That chick's a nightmare, and she donno a THING about gear.

Karen

Karen
PostThu Oct 09, 2003 7:16 pm 
Don't need
I like the magazine a lot better now than I did 2-3 years ago. I stopped reading it a while back because I got tired of hearing about "writing your congressman". Everywhere I turned, it seemed, someone wanted me to write a congressman. Not just WTA. Everybody. We don't all contribute in the same way. There will never be another Ira Spring or a Harvey Manning. No matter how you feel/felt about them they have done much good for us who like to spend time outside. For me (and admittedly this is personal) I felt my passions stirred more by historical trails/history than I did sitting down and writing a letter to someone to save something. Truth is, we can't save everything. So .... I compromised. I subscribed to the magazine again because it is doing good work (work that I myself do not want to do) and because it has become a finer and more interesting magazine. It is still "political" but it has also has become a more interesting read. I truly appreciate the variety found in the magazine today. There have been several articles recently about old trails, for example, that are in danger of being lost. And there is more than one way to save old trails from being lost. Writing someone or calling someone in Congress is one way but there are other ways to help. Take photos. Write articles. Spread the word. Spare the sermons. Hike the trails. Pick up the branches that lie across the trail and if you are able, take along a folding saw and hack as needed. The Forest SErvice and the NPS can't do everything. And neither can (or should) those who volunteer their personal time to participate in work parties. Sure, there are sections of the magazine that I skip. But that is true of ALL magazines I subscribe to. I look forward to the magazine when it comes out. Sure, I read the WTA reports when they are on-line but I also like the feel of magazines and like to read the articles AWAY from my computer. I still have all my old Signpost magazines and all my old Pack and Paddles too. I would never sell them or give them away. But if you look at Pack and Paddle you will see how that has changed too. But that is another story. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder