Forum Index > Trip Reports > PCT-Chinook Pass To Norse Peak, Norse Peak Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 7:33 pm 
This was another of our PNW group trips, and we had the best turnout yet we have seen. We started off our trip by carcamping at Silver Springs CG on Hwy 410 on friday night. I believe we had 17 show up for that...but I was pretty drunk and wasn't counting too high or too fast......I do know that somewhere there are photos of me in my new "nubile blonde" wig I found at the local WallyWorld for $5 - yep it's a wig that is a bandanna with 2 braids of yellow hanging out lol.gif Saturday morning we were met by Evanhill bringing us 2 dozen Krispy Kremes to munch on. Then we headed up to Chinook Pass after shuttling around cars. I am not saying how many were on this trip because I KNOW it would irrate some here. But we had a happy crew and we seperated into smaller groups. Unfortunley we lost Foggydew early on due to her developing a bad case of the flu that morning frown.gif She wasn't doing so good. But we headed on breezing through Sheep Lake and Sourdough Gap and then on to Bear Gap. I prefer hiking on the Eastern side - I like the scenery more. From Bear Gap to Crowne Point was an intresting slog! But, ah, the view of Rainer from just after there was what made the gain all worth it! We headed on and hit the top of Bullion Basin-this was the 1st consideration for where to camp-we had no idea if we would find any water so we were hoping. First we passed a nasty elk watering mud pit and kept hoping-and lo, we found a pretty nice horse/hiking camp smack in the middle-with the only water around to be found-and it was moving water too......We set up camp there and spent the rest of the evening all sitting around on log stumps bsing. Many of us had hiked together before, but some were new. Ford had been battling a fever and bad cough all weekend so in the morning I bailed with 3 other hikers and hiked out Bullion Basin, where we shuttled back to our cars. But I couldn't leave my buds behind so Ford and me came back to meet the 9 who finished my orginal idea. They went on to Norse Peak, bagged it, then came down Norse Peak Trail. They were good and tired when they got there. Then the surviving 13 of us went and porked out on mexican food in Enumclaw. Yum. Awesome fall colors, and it was in the low 70's on saturday-it was actually warm at night. We heard a cougar at dawn, and elks bugling.
The PNW Group-1
The PNW Group-1

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 7:36 pm 
To which I should add: The PNW Group is made of~Me, Ford, Hoosierdaddy, Rainrunner, Dicentra, ChristyE, her daughter Em, GoBlueHiker, Foggydew, Hikerdrew, The Jerk, Evanhill and others.

rainrunner

rainrunner
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 8:25 pm 
A special thank you to Sarbar...once again, our adventurous ringleader put together a successful trip...even if it wasn't quite the piece-of-cake-easy-and-flat trail that she advertised!

christy_E

christy_E
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 10:05 pm 
Even with the false advertisement.. it was a spectacular trip. The colors were awesome, the elk were abundant, the cougar calls were a bit interesting and the weather was just perfect. The next trip.. in two weeks I am going to double check that elevation gain/loss.. just so there won't be any surprises.

Ink, it costs a lot to look this cheap.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 05, 2003 10:17 pm 
If I ever told the truth on gains and losses nobody would come lol.gif lol.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 9:58 am 
Well, I do admire y'all for being able to have a happy time in such a big group. I don't even like to day hike with more than one other person!

foggy

foggy
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 11:10 am 
sarbar wrote:
If I ever told the truth on gains and losses nobody would come lol.gif lol.gif
agree.gif I never believe Sarbar, I just go along for the ride dizzy.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 3:56 pm 
Yet another fanfreakintastic trip!!! biggrin.gif Thanks Sarbar! smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 06, 2003 4:00 pm 
I love that word! biggrin.gif Did you guys ever wonder WHY I was SO far behind the group with Ford? If I had kept up with you guys, you'd probably have thrown me over the side of the cliff...oh wait, that was the fantasy I was having of doing to that Mt. Biker when he kept riding up my butt on the trail that was in A WILDERNESS!! If you hadn't been with me, that wannabe hippie dork would have sailing over the edge lol.gif D-I can't believe our trip report on BP.com is over 120 posts!!

foggy

foggy
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 11:38 am 
sarbar wrote:
D-I can't believe our trip report on BP.com is over 120 posts!!
lol.gif the funniest thing is, most of the posts are from us PNWers. I do love that word, freakinfantabulous! Even tho' I missed most of it. waah.gif because I was so hurl.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 11:39 am 
LOL!! Something I don't EVER want to see again in this lifetime wink.gif

foggy

foggy
PostTue Oct 07, 2003 11:59 am 
sarbar wrote:
LOL!! Something I don't EVER want to see again in this lifetime wink.gif
embarassedlaugh.gif Believe me, it's not something I do on a regular basis to impress my hiking buds! lol.gif moon.gif that little emoticon definitely expresses the way I was feeling.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostFri Oct 10, 2003 8:42 pm 
Foggy-- next time you hike with me...NO BAILING EARLY! You're 0 for 2. tongue.gif

foggy

foggy
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 10:01 am 
"You're 0 for 2" That is 0-1/2 or something like that. I went halfway on the other last trip. agree.gif moon.gif Better to be safe than sorry. Dunno if you read on bp.com, but I tore and pulled the ligaments in my foot. bawl.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 10:35 am 
eek.gif OUCH!!! frown.gif Aw...honey you gotta be more careful!! Heal up quick so you can get out and snowshoe with us this winter. smile.gif