Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Nails in the backcountry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paula Ishing

Paula Ishing
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 2:09 pm 
Now I know what kind of soap to use, I`m thinking of going on a 3 day backpack but not sure my nails will last that long. Is there any place that does nails along the trail to the Enchantments? If so, do you need an appointment or are walkins welcome? At this time of year my nails get brittle due days and nights being colder. Any special varnish those in the know can recommend? Where I live I can get my nails redone every 3 blocks if need be, but I think the wilderness may be different. Also, anyone know where I can get a leatherman or equivalent with a good can opener on it? Then I don't have to get my nails redone so much. TIA. -PI

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 2:56 pm 
PB, I'm not aware of anything around the Enchantments but there's some nice sharpening stones in the vicinity of Upper Wildcat and a $10 gift certificate to boot. Be careful if you bring a raft though.

hikermike

hikermike
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 5:43 pm 
nails
What's the problem, when I'm done with my hike I never have any nails left.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 5:55 pm 
hikermike wrote:
What's the problem, when I'm done with my hike I never have any nails left.
Know the feeling...my right big toe is looking forward to a little rest this winter in hopes of regrowing a missing nail.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 6:38 pm 
I had a couple nails that used to turn black after every hike and sometimes fall off, so I could only go on long hikes every few months. Now that I have new boots that problem is gone.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 7:17 pm 
cuticle cut-ups verboten!
Here this good woman Paula asks where she can get a decent trailside pedicure and all you people can do is bring up nauseating stories about your blackened and missing toenails! hurl.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 7:23 pm 
Good point Moose. When people were traipsing up to the Klondike to in search of gold, often the people who came back wealthy were those that set up shop along the way selling mining stuff and whiskey. I suspect shortly we will have people scrambling to set up pedicurees along the Crest Trail. By the time you reach Highway 2, you want to look your best, not like you've been on the trail 3 months. And if you look ok, but you nails are scruffy, then you'd better be able to hold a conversation real well and maintain eye contact, unless someone is bound to notice the toes (especially if you are a barefoot hiker).

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 7:50 pm 
That was me, Squirrel, who made those points-Moose out on hot date, but thanks just the same. Ahem, yes indeed many merchants hit their "jackpot" supplying those knucklheaded prospectors heading up the Chilkoot Pass & places even dogs wouldn't go. Many were here in Seattle- gateway to Alaska and the Yukon, where those dreamy hunks of manhood the Mounties patrolled in their tight, wool uniforms with black leather belts....but I digress..... Yes, many a Seattle fortune was made supplying those eager gold-seekers with all manner of implements (I love that word...implement)- shovels, picks, blasting powder (ok, not an implement), rakes, weedwhackers, hedgetrimmers and....let's not forget....nailclippers!!! When all was said and done, no man (or dance-hall girl) could let his/hers little toesy-woesys get out of control out in the tundra- that would have been big trouble mister.

Paula Ishing

Paula Ishing
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 8:07 pm 
I`m thinking of just buying a set of these. They also glow in the dark so maybe I wouldn't need to bring a flashlight with me. What do you think? I don't think they can open a can of Dinty Moore stew though.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 11:22 pm 
Paula Ishing wrote:
I`m thinking of just buying a set of these. They also glow in the dark so maybe I wouldn't need to bring a flashlight with me. What do you think? I don't think they can open a can of Dinty Moore stew though.
Not as good as Lee's Press-on Nails but will do in a pinch. But I thought your original question dealt with nails in need of a trim? In that case applying press-on nails would be counter-productive in my humble opinion (Squirrel speaking- Moose still out on hot date with moose cow down the street). Just ignore Quark babbling on about cans if you can.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 11:25 pm 
Quark wrote:
Polarbear used two uses of the word, "can" in one sentence. Gotta love this Englisshe lingo. Can we can him for his horrible can-can performance after he comes out of the can?
Can't...ignore...Quark...: Nothing tops Spot, who opts to stop pots from post-ing.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 10:33 am 
Boy rolleyes.gif a boy can't write something wrong without being punctually punctuated by the grammar punks. rant.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 10:35 am 
Oops, Paula, unless you are a boy, I apaulagize for the above reference. Didn't mean to be disengenderous. embarassedlaugh.gif

Paula Ishing

Paula Ishing
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 10:50 am 
M&S, thanks for trying to drift this thread back to the topic. up.gif Everyone else, you must never have nail problems. P, thanks(?) for the apology. You will be hearing from my lawyer as I take the above confusion quite seriously. My nail biting problem which had been held at bay for years is now back with a vengance due to the trama caused by this thread. I had a full set of nails last night and now I have none. Even my glow in the darks are gone like sand in the dessert wind. Please expect to pay for my rehab. S.P. Didnt' this thread start out in PNW trail talk?? Well why is it in the Full Moon Saloon now? What doe salons have to do with nails?

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 1:36 pm 
They didn't want any confusion with saloons? embarassedlaugh.gif