Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 3:17 pm 
Nice color. Upper Trail looks like it's on fire. Thanks NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Oct 11, 2003 3:35 pm 
Thanks, NN. Amazing color this year. Liked your pictures from Glacier, esp. "rippled rock", "smoke on the water" & the "colors" ones! up.gif Yet another area I need to see. --M&S

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 9:09 am 
Yo BullWinkle, nice color for sure. What camera did you use for that pano shot? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 1:04 pm 
Thanks, Olympus D460z P&S digicam in panoramic mode, then six separate images auto-stitched together using the Oly Camedia software. Pretty slick. You can stitch together up to 11 images too. But camera's 1.3MP makes for small prints or web use.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 2:49 pm 
I need to learn how to stitch. My G3 is capable of that for sure. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 4:16 pm 
Stunning shots, M&S! My fave is the Above Twin Lakes picture...lighting is just perfect to bring out the fiery reds of the hillside and I love the glint of sunlight off the lake in the distance.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I need to learn how to stitch. My G3 is capable of that for sure.
Yep...stitching's more about the software used to stitch afterwards than a process done in camera. That said, the Canons have a nice feature where it'll show the right edge of the previous photo so that you can be sure you get enough of an overlap for the stitching software to work properly and also to keep consistent camera orientation across the multiple shots.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 4:45 pm 
Excellent pics and report. Was planning on doing the Nooksack Cirque but I think this will be my next hike in that area for sure!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Oct 12, 2003 4:49 pm 
Thanks, DM. It was a great day up there- I'd hate to be up there now though eek.gif . Yes, as you told BPJ the stitching is a post-processing deal & if you do panoramic shots with whatever camera having a tripod helps to keep a consistant horizon with each subsequent shot. But, I did mine handholding with careful framing as I manually panned-trying to keep a guide frame in the LCD viewfinder on the same plane from shot to shot & overlapping each shot 20-30% as instructed. I first tried manual stitching but the results were a bit ragged & with auto stitching you see the seamless results- up.gif I'll be taking lots of panoramas in the future, it's pretty cool. The one thing I should also add is you do have to be careful that your entire panorama subject is lit fairly evenly because you can only use the camera's meter settings that are locked in after the first picture. This may only be a function inherent with my Olympus model though. I had the sun behind me for my entire exposure and it came out very well.

RollingB

RollingB
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 3:17 pm 
Awesome pics - THANKS! agree.gif

"Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of Arriving Safely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming ----WOW ----What A Ride!!!" Author Unknown
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 3:58 pm 
Thanks again all! Cmdr. scott- a reference to South Pole Scott? According to a WTA trail report from last Sat. the Twin Lks had 6" of snow, I imagine the lookout even more- would be treacherous to try for the lookout without proper gear (incl. ice axe) as there are some steep dropoffs on the trail higher up. What a difference a week makes- when I was up there it was hot, dry & t-shirt weather! smile.gif

RollingB

RollingB
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 7:26 pm 
Oh if I had been that smart. I guess you could say he was an adventurer to places far and unknown, where no man has gone before .... yes the infamous Commander Scott of Star Trek legend. Picked up the comparison many years ago by ' given her all she's got captain' and being able to fix things with bubble gum and bailing wire.

"Life Is Not A Journey To The Grave With The Intention Of Arriving Safely In A Pretty And Well Preserved Body, But Rather To Skid In Broadside, Thoroughly Used Up, Totally Worn Out, And Loudly Proclaiming ----WOW ----What A Ride!!!" Author Unknown
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 8:15 pm 
Aye, laddie, I see. Forgot that he received a big promotion in the later Trek flicks. He'll always be Engineer Scott to me- "...the engines are buckling, Captain. They can't take much more..." biggrin.gif

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Oct 15, 2003 11:41 pm 
I was up there that same Thursday, perhaps I saw you MooseAndSquirrel. Pretty sure I didn't see a moose although I might have seen a squirrel. My pictures of Larrabee seem to have a few more shadows from later afternoon lighting so I would guess that you were up there a little bit earlier in the day than us. I took almost the exact same picture of the trail curving with the nice red color although mine is a bit darker. I'll toss up a few while I'm at it I suppose:

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 8:39 am 
Pretty nice day up there, huh? I was envious of the two guys spending the night in the lookout. Nice pics with some different perspectives of the area. That one hillside the trail bisected near the top was something for sure with the color. This ranks as one of my better trips, esp. for fall color.