Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Larry

Larry
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 10:52 am 
Wonderful job on the photos, Bob. Depth of field was outstanding. You really captured the beauty. Thank you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 10:58 am 
A gold star for you, Bob, as the teacher would say. biggrin.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif What can I say that hasn't already been said - beautiful images and place, wonderful.

reststep

reststep
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 1:17 pm 
Great pictures Bob If anyone is heading up that way here are some webcams in the Leavenworth area that may give some idea of the snow conditions and then again maybe they will not. Webcam 1 Webcam 2 Webcam 3

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
TheClaw

TheClaw
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 3:24 pm 
My picture may not be as good as Bob's .. but I have snow and a view ! Taken in the Enchantments in mid-September.
Toilet in the Enchantments with view of Prussic Peak
Toilet in the Enchantments with view of Prussic Peak

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 4:24 pm 
Good one CLaw-ster. Hey Robert, didnt you get shots of Toketie? I thought that you came up that route from Nada? TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 4:42 pm 
Nice pictures. There are shots of a lot of the same things, except green, from our trip up that way last year. BPJ, wouldn't it be way out of the way to go to Eitekot from Musky Pass? Bob went in the exact same way we did last year, and we went out via Tok, but it would have been way out of the way otherwise.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 4:43 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Good one CLaw-ster. Hey Robert, didnt you get shots of Toketie? I thought that you came up that route from Nada? TB
Toketie Creek actually brings you down significantly below Nada. I think the place Bob's calling Tamarack Canyon is what we've referred to as Temple Canyon. The route passes Musky Lakelet before rising up and over Musky Pass to meet up with the northeast end of Earle. Beckey notes another route out of the canyon, basically following it up as it curves toward Prusik and then traversing across to the top of Prusik Pass. I've looked for this route many a time while dropping down into Shield, but have never seen a trace of it...anyone know how far down the trail this route takes off?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 4:54 pm 
Yes, I always thought that was Temple Canyon. I'm sure I've said this before here, but the route out from Nada is kind of scary, and I don't recommend it. Our collective footfalls were enough to get a half-dozen or so big burnt snags to go over like matchsticks. It was the closest call I've ever had hiking. paranoid.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 5:19 pm 
Temple Canyon, that clears it up. Thank you. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Bob K

Bob K
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 7:07 pm 
I have entered via Toketie in the past, but have never been to it directly through Musky Pass or Tamarack/Temple Canyon. Everyone seems to call it Temple Canyon now. 20 or 25 years ago, everyone I knew called it Tamarack, which I think is a better name. Jan also called it Tamarack. Isn't that another name for Larch, or a type of Larch? I wonder what the Starks call it? I guess it doesn't matter, everything up there has a couple of names anyway.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 7:35 pm 
Yup... The Tamarack is the Western Larch. A beautiful name for a beautiful tree.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostThu Oct 23, 2003 8:06 pm 
Sorta like Madrone/Madrona instead of Arbutus? biggrin.gif

pianodirt

pianodirt
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 5:35 pm 
So I thought after all these years I'd make a trip to the Enchantments. I decided to go up via Colchuck Lake/Ass-guard pass doh.gif . This was Monday 10/27. It was very windy at the pass, guessing 30-40mph with gusts hard enough I couldn't stand up. I didn't realize how long it would take me to get up Aasgard, it was about 3pm. I lost the cairn trail once just over the pass at the first few tarns. I debated whether it would be better to just go back down to Colchuck or continuing on down into the lakes. I wondered if the wind would be better if I went on, at least I knew it was better at Colchuck. I was tired and just wanted to camp. I asked God for a sign as what to do. Just then I saw a trail, so I followed it, then I could see down into the lakes better, I thought I was looking at Isolation Lake. So I started heading down. When I got down enough, I got a better look at the lake. It was Colchuck! I took that as my sign and headed down. It took me 3 hours to get up Aasgard (I had figured 2 hours tops) and it took me as long to get down. It got dark about halfway down and I put on a headlamp and that's when I lost the cairns. I ended up going down a dry creekbed on the SE end of the lake. It was so windy (as i could see the next morning) the wind was picking water off the top of the lake and blowing sheets of it sideways. I ended up camping on a little beach on the lake (it was the only flat spot I'd seen in hours and I was exhausted). My poor little tarptent nearly got blown away and I had to reinforce the already reinforced stakes twice. I woke at 2am and couldn't wait for daylight so I could get out of the place. It was windy all night, all day, but I was grateful no serious rain came in. I learned a couple good lessons: don't mess with steep passes in questionable weather, and bring a gps next time (actually, I wonder if having a gps might've gotten me in more trouble). frown.gif Next year I try again via Snow Lakes, and a couple weeks earlier! I finally saw a larch. It was a solitary one on the W side of Colchuck lake and still had some needles. Pretty cool! There were several enroute to Aasgard pass but their needles had dropped. I snapped a few pics, if I see any worth posting, I will.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Oct 28, 2003 6:48 pm 
PD, well it's hard to approach this without jumping all over you! That said, I think that we have all gotten into situations that we have thought about later. Asgaard is something that I would NEVER want to be caught on in the dark. Having done it six times I can tell you that I'd definitely give myself TIME before I even started it. I wish you could have had somebody with you that has experience on that beast. I'm saddened that after getting up there you found yourself coming right back down. I'd like to know (read pictures) the conditions atop the pass that caused you to get disoriented and find yourself coming down. There actually are many sheltered/semi sheltered areas atop the pass that you could have hidden yourself behind and created a more tarp friendly environment. All that said, being a tarp tent guy myself I wouldn't have chosen that shelter for this time of year. I would have taken my Bibler I-tent or my Stephenson 2X. As Ive said Ive been up Asgaard six times, and into the Chants eight times and I still ask for advice from those more experienced in the Chants than me. Glad nothing happened to you, except exhaustion. I would have preferred that you had a great time up there that's for sure. Next time ask for advice from this very experienced board. Tom B

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 29, 2003 1:35 am 
pianodirt wrote:
I learned a couple good lessons: don't mess with steep passes in questionable weather, and bring a gps next time (actually, I wonder if having a gps might've gotten me in more trouble).
There are a lot of people who berate GPS usage but if you know how to use a map/altimeter/compass, use them as your primary navigation aide, and rely on the GPS as an emergency navigation aide it can be an extremely valuable tool IMO. This year coming back on a trip with several other experienced off trail navigators we started heading down the wrong ridge in the dark. We knew something was wrong but it had been a very long day, it was getting darker by the minute, one of our party was hobbled by injury, and we really didn't have the mental stamina (or patience) to figure out the error of our ways. A quick glance at the GPS and 30 minutes later we at the car.