Forum Index > Trail Talk > Dreaming of summer...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 2:04 pm 
Mmm, nothing like memories of a nice hot day in the upper 90's without a cloud in the sky and a cold waterfall on the trail. I can feel the heat right now. Aaargh, another 3-4 months to go. I'm not sure I can survive until then waah.gif.
Waterfall Streaming From Chikamin Lake Outlet
Waterfall Streaming From Chikamin Lake Outlet

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 2:19 pm 
Thanks Tom for the antidote for this cold and grey Monday. Chikamin Lake on a hot summer day: Aaaaah. Being right up on the crest like it is, the "wind tunnel" effect usually keeps the bugs at bay too. Odd for the snowpack to be increasing halfway through April......grumble grumble.

PostMon Apr 15, 2002 2:21 pm 
Last time I hiked in 90 degree weather I was peeing brown after the third day. biggrin.gif Altered States of conscienceness followed. But the protein from all the bugs I ate kept me alive. I love the NWest, but the wait for summer is just too damn long. Way too cold this A.M.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 3:03 pm 
Yup, seems like winter is still trying to hang on. We came back from Saddle Mt yesterday evening after a fun weekend of just hangin' out, only to get caught up in a snowstorm going over Stevens. We left Saddle under mostly clear skies and temps probably in the mid to upper 60's not counting the wind factor. By the time we hit Ellensburg it was ten degrees cooler and starting to rain. Going over 97 we got into a surreal weather pattern of sun and snow showers, pretty cool! Back down on 2 we hit more rain and had to make a couple pull-over photo breaks along the Wenatchee which was in full rage mode. Snow and low clouds hit at about 2600' at it was snowing pretty darned hard all the way up. One thing I never get used to is going down and west from that pass in snow/ice conditions. Seems like the bank angle on the turns is always trying to kick my rear end into a slide! In the end it was a great road trip back to town with a full assortment of weather.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 4:30 pm 
It does look like everything will be pushed back this year. - Grrrrr. - Lopper, I've got a feeling that we won't get anywhere near 4000' on May 20th, even with that SW exposure. I don't fancy trying to posthole the last 1000'. May 4th I'll do my annual trek on Horse Lake Mountain, 4600' (near Wenatchee). That's kind of my barometer. Bad years snow keeps me off the summit. Good years I'm there in a t-shirt. biggrin.gif Maybe global-warming will start soon. dizzy.gif Randy. It sounds like your knee's getting better.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 5:05 pm 
The way this weather is going, it may well snow clear into May, making the high land thaw out pretty late, with many lakes not even iced out this year. Many of the mtn. roads are getting softer but the slush amount for travel is making it more difficult than during the winter when it's at least solid: my climbs of Pilchuck Dec. & early Mar. Also, the road appraoch access routes to the volcanoes such as Baker are smothered in snow pack at this stage, which makes for extreme long road walks for climbs. A few of my possible climbs may put off a month or maybe even two...grumble, grumble, grumble!

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 5:07 pm 
Call in sick on Friday! It looks so far like it's going to be a great day!

Art is an adventure.

PostMon Apr 15, 2002 5:49 pm 
Stefan, I'd bet most appreciate your zeal to get out all year long. smile.gif But there are only a few days hot enough for a boy and his dog (left above the recent break) to surf glacial ice.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 6:11 pm 
Pappy, explain to me how hiking in 90 degree heat is enjoyable?! I nearly died (not literally mind you) on the Taylor River trail a few years back in 95+ degree weather. Too friggin' hot! agree.gif Scrooge, something tells me we may want to pospone Delta until early July...I can only imagine how hard it's gonna be crossing the Copper outlet with 5 feet of water in the way... eek.gif

PostMon Apr 15, 2002 7:56 pm 
Sore feet, that is exactly what I was saying in my first post. I became so dehydrated on a very hot three dayer, that on the way out I had to repeatedly stop, plop down and pant. Later, after drinking about a gallon of gator aide, I FINALLY urinated and it wasn't an "ideal" color. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate a nice warm summer day in the mountains more than anything. There isn't anything like it - is there?

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 8:03 pm 
It's nice being in the mountains on a 95 degree day but you want be at the destination as the mercury is passing through 80 degrees. The you just sit and cool your feet in the lake. Over at Ancient Lakes on Saturday, I was comfortable wearing a t-shirt and jeans for most of the hike (cotton only kills sometimes). If it hadn't been windy, shorts would have been ok). Summer is coming, keep smiling wink.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 8:16 pm 
Bryan. I never wade the Copper outlet. I always crawl across a high log "bridge" right where the Foss Lakes Trail turns uphill. It usually takes me at least half an hour to get down to the West Fork, but I don't like wading, even under normal conditions, much less maximum snow-melt, which is when I try to get there. It's true that you can't take pictures of individual falls on the Copper outlet. It's all just one seething mass of whitewater all the way down. I guess some people do wade that pool down at the bottom at that time of year, but it would scare me to death. However, late June may turn out to be more realistic than early June. It just depends on when it decides to stop snowing and start melting. dizzy.gif Scrooge

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 15, 2002 9:38 pm 
Pappy, I typed before I thought. That was supposed to be a question for Tom...my bad... clown.gif Scrooge - First time I was up the Foss (up to Copper), the copper outlet was real nasty lookin', I only went down as far as the lower falls, but it still looked like a bear to cross. Last year, I crossed on a BIG log right at the Foss confluence which was absolutely no problem, but the creek was pretty low. I'm just worried that the creek will be too high to get to the log (it starts just shy of the bank and slopes up to the other side, but I got off and rock hopped up to the trail). It could get partially submerged. We'll see. Also, if TB for some reason bails with the rafts (you're still in, right?), the Delta outlet could be a problem.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 10:32 am 
While I'm ready for spring, I'll take today's weather over 90+ degrees any day. Coming from Texas, I've had a lifetime supply of hot weather. Give me a partly cloudy 75 degrees and I'm perfectly content. Leave the 90s in Texas. tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 16, 2002 10:57 am 
I like the contrast of a hot day against a cool glacial swept breeze or the splash of a cold waterfall. It feels amost as good as coming out of an air condidtioned building that's far too cold to begin and thawing out the second you step out the door. p.s. mcaver that heresy I say, heresy! tongue.gif