Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Moonrise over Seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 8:32 pm 
Optical illusion? Moonrise Over Seattle Credit & Copyright: Shay Stephens Explanation: Is the Moon larger when near the horizon? No -- as shown above, the Moon appears to be very nearly the same size no matter its location on the sky. Oddly, the cause or causes for the common Moon Illusion are still being debated. Two leading explanations both hinge on the illusion that foreground objects make a horizon Moon seem farther in the distance. The historically most popular explanation then holds that the mind interprets more distant objects as wider, while a more recent explanation adds that the distance illusion may actually make the eye focus differently. Either way, the angular diameter of the Moon is always about 0.5 degrees. In the above time-lapse sequence taken near the end of 2001, the Moon was briefly re-imaged every 2.5 minutes, with the last exposure of longer duration to bring up a magnificent panorama of the city of Seattle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 9:08 pm 
That qualifies as cool. I bet Kerry or Larry have some pretty good shots like that. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 9:12 pm 
Hey, that's a really cool photo, but I'm still convinced it's made of green cheese winksmile.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 9:45 pm 
We could get one of those cheese slicer looking things people put on the back of their cars and go find out!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostMon Oct 13, 2003 10:05 pm 
Lets go!!!!!!!! We can take off in my new super-fly Civic! See construction photos below............................... http://rhs.jack.k12.wv.us/sthrills/trip_to/trip_to.htm

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 10:23 am 
Maybe spending time on the eastside makes your brain a little crazy? wink.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 12:39 pm 
Yeah, whatever...... shakehead.gif Viewing Mt. Rainier suddenly gives that same illusion. It's really enormous but gradually "shrinks" back to a more normal size. What building did you work in Quark if it isn't a big secret? The big brown glass one, the north or south blue glass towers, or the newish silver one in between? I'd use names but they're always changing the damn things. I worked at Rainier Plaza & had access to the roof- nice for areas views & the Blue Angels, etc.

Larry

Larry
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 5:53 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
That qualifies as cool. I bet Kerry or Larry have some pretty good shots like that.
Actually, yahhhh, I do have a shot similar, except it's over Mount Constance looking East from Del Monte Ridge.

Duncan

Duncan
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 6:26 pm 
I had heard somewhere that the amount of moisture or humidity in the air can cause that sort of optical illusion to occur. Don't know if it's true or not, but it doesn't sound too unreasonable.....

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Oct 14, 2003 8:49 pm 
Quark wrote:
Skyline Tower. Watched many a Blue Angel test run from that building. I'm downtown Seattle now. What a wonderful carnival!
Ok, that other brown building. Downtown Seattle-yeah it's a carnival for sure. Only see it when forced to by jury duty. Cool bus tunnel. Heard the shopping is wonderful! hurl.gif .....waterfront is nice diversion though. Enjoy! dizzy.gif