Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Bill to make fee demo permanent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Oct 18, 2003 11:37 pm 
I think the more accurate statement would be "politicians attitudes that the only true American is a rich American and all others are not deserving" would be more accurate, but again, just in some cases. The stereotype certainly leans towards the conservative end of the spectrum when one thinks of pompous rich snobby people, and there certainly is some accuracy there, but you don't have to belong to a political party to be a rich snob... dizzy.gif Back to the fee issue, my problem with the whole situatuion is that with the government budget growing increasingly larger every year, the forest service is not being appropriated the money they need. I'm not necessarily saying that Social Security or Military spending needs to be drasticly slashed (but neither would be a bad thing, imo), but there is SOOOO much wasteful spending in the government, if our elected officials were held more accountable for what they spend, allegedly on our behalf (that's a whole 'nother can of nuts), we wouldn't have to put up with things like fee demo. rant.gif hockeygrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 12:20 am 
I know of about $87 billion they can redirect. lol.gif

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 11:52 am 
Here! Here! Except we got those people into that mess so we owe them to get them out, Maybe Haliburton, certain oil companies and the others benefitting from this venture should foot the bill and not us.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 12:47 pm 
Let's try to stay on topic. Thx. tongue.gif

STUMP

STUMP
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 1:16 pm 
When you see highly educated, multi-degreed rangers working the entry gates and info desks you might wonder if outsourcing is such a bad idea. I know of one felllow who retired early from the fed service and is now working on his second retirement with the state. His biggest complaint working for the fed was dumping trash cans with a masters degree in his hip pocket and twenty years senority. I would love to know the percentage of FS budget that goes to retirement. Public audits don't seem to be a high priority, even with republicans.

Sole/Soul Trek
frankm3

frankm3
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 10:24 pm 
So all our discussion sent me off to the USFS website to do some research- What an exercise in contradictions the whole experience has been. There is a bit on the history of the USFS here- http://www.fs.fed.us/aboutus/meetfs.shtml They mention the primary reasons for establishing the USFS was "Congress established the Forest Service in 1905 to provide quality water and timber for the Nation’s benefit", it goes on to mention that managing multiple uses is more of a recent development. They also mention (elsewhere on the site) that the amount of forested land in the US is in excess of what it has been in the past, and, similarly, the demands on timber in general are not as significant as they once were. And that per capita metals use (who the hell figures this out anyway?) dizzy.gif is declining. These statements, by implication anyway, make me think that demands for the traditional types of uses would be declining. I went on and read through their strategic plan document- it is a huge .pdf and outlines their goals and objectives through 2006. Here's a link to that: http://www.fs.fed.us/plan/ They clearly recognize that recreation is now the highest demand on the USFS nowadays. In measuring their own performance, they set no goals for themselves beyond "a 5% increase in user satisfaction". There's no mention anywhere really of taking any specific action whatsoever to do anything in support of the increased activity beyond registering a better score in a survey. Huh? confused.gif So they recognize this trend towards increasing recreational users, and then go on to predict a 50% decrease in the amount of revenue they get from recreational users (5% future vs. 10% now). BTW, mining and timber is about 80% of where their money presently comes from per this document. The major contradiction to this is they then go on to discuss the 'downstream economic effects' (I'm not sure how they figure this) of people going out and using forest lands for various purposes. Recreational uses, according to their own statements, offer the greatest downstream economic benefits (as far as campers buying tents, etc). The document also mentions that in the past the USFS has been criticized for poor accounting practices, and poor contracting practices as well. They do actually have goals for better accountability and independent financial analysis which is encouraging to me. Reading all the rest of it made me more sensitive to what some of you guys were mentioning in regard to misappropriation. It seems as though they don't really have a clear direction, in spite of recognizing recreation is 'the wave of the future'. It's really disappointing to see no milestones for performance beyond a 'telephone survey' yardstick. mad.gif Interested to hear what any of you guys think. I bet they spent a lot of our money to put this together, and I'm not really sure I see a lot of encouraging stuff there. confused.gif Frank

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 10:49 pm 
Timber and mining are major sources of income yet they aren't charged what they're worth for those resources. If they charged appropriately then there would be a better revenue source. Because of this, Local income to the communities is actually higher from recreation sources, I'd like to say that that is why the forest service came up with the trailhead fees, to tap thia source, but this is not true, it came from Congress and the Forest Service didn't have a clue. When I was hiking in Montana a few years back, they thought it was a joke, said they had plenty of money for their trails and, frankly, their trails were in much better shape and so were the trailhead parking areas. When I worked for the WSU Forestry Dept in the mid '60s, we travelled all over the Northwest and even then you could tell a big difference in management from one forest to another. After awhile I could tell which Forest I was in by the condition of the roads and signage etc. My boss then complained about the great waste of money. It's not that anyone is lining their pockets, it's just that they haven't a clue as to where it is or where it's going. For instance, in the '80s, for every dollar from a tree they were paid, they spent two dollars building the roads to get the lumber out. Obviously private companies would not get very far with this accounting. I'm not suggesting privatising as I feel that would be a giveaway, just good oversite. Forestry men are trained in forestry and not business.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 10:52 am 
I think one huge problem in the FS is that while you may have trained, educated foresters and other scientists and resource managers making up most of the ranks, the FS head is a political appointee, and the agency is subject to congressional mandates. Every few years the agency could be directed to have a drastically different focus than it did under the last administration, and with Congress passing bills like the healthy forest initiative or fire management directives (that have more to do with politics than effective forest management), it must be almost impossible for FS workers to establish and reach goals that really make sense for forest management.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 10:54 am 
MCaver wrote:
I would like to see the money directed at building schools in 3rd world countries rather than building or maintaining a trail so I can enjoy it.

Art is an adventure.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 11:18 am 
Stefan wrote:
MCaver wrote:
I would like to see the money directed at building schools in 3rd world countries rather than building or maintaining a trail so I can enjoy it.
Sorry we only build schools after we bomb them huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
frankm3

frankm3
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 1:26 pm 
touron wrote:
I get really nervous when the government tries to measure how much enjoyment I get out of the wilderness. I do know that when I go on a hike, I come back, get pictures developed, show them to people at work and others who don't have to pay a thing and post stuff on the internet for the casual surfer to enjoy huh.gif In reality, alot more people benefit from my little hike than me myself. Can it really be equated with the price of a movie ticket. Please pass the gorp with extra butter.
AH-HAH!!! So you're the one that's been out there publicizing "the outdoors" and getting all these 'tenderfeet' to go out and appreciate the outdoors and learn something. huh.gif The nerve of some people wink.gif Good point though. There are also indirect (intangible benefits) as well that you can't quantify statistically.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 1:54 pm 
That Ranger with the Masters degree forgot to metion the benefits he received from his choices. He did what he loved, at least I hope he did, and I'm sure he had a more intersting career than, say, a CPA. That has value, if not in dollars, then in job satisfaction. The NFS is under the Department of Agriculture, so the "culture" is extraction and tree farming. It needs to be moved to the Department of the Interior, along with the NPS. The land that is to be used as defacto tree farms could be split off and put under the BLM, which would swap land to be preserved to the "new" NFS. Right now, Agriculture is managing wilderness areas. It makes no sense.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 4:07 pm 
The DOI's no picnic either-the primary job of most of their agencies deals with resource extraction (USGS, Office of Surface Mining, Minerals Mgmt Service, BuRec, BLM), when it comes down to it. Their director not long ago called the NPS the "world's largest lawn care service." He's obviously not very in tune with what National Parks are about.

frankm3

frankm3
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 4:26 pm 
Slugman wrote:
The NFS is under the Department of Agriculture, so the "culture" is extraction and tree farming. It needs to be moved to the Department of the Interior, along with the NPS. The land that is to be used as defacto tree farms could be split off and put under the BLM, which would swap land to be preserved to the "new" NFS. Right now, Agriculture is managing wilderness areas. It makes no sense.
Slug, Thanks for posting this, it's very insightful, imo! An interesting proposal! smile.gif The NPS/ Interior seems more consistent with the current situation at the NFS- especially in regard to recreational uses, which currently is the biggest user demand. My only issue is that it doesn't solve the component of the problem which is 80% of their money comes from extraction of trees and taking other valuable 'stuff' away, though. We got started on this whole thing based on discussing "wouldn't it be great if we could all use this public land and not have to pay admission fees to do it". I am asking this in all seriousness because your idea is a good one- how do you think we would fund the recreational components of the re-vamped USFS? The 80% of the picture (the 'unpopular' stuff that nobody likes- logging, mining) winds up paying for a part of a lot of our trips in some fashion. To clarify- if all the improvements that we use to drive to the trailhead had been made exclusively to provide access for recreational users, would we be paying admission fees for this? You bet we would! Just like at Mt. Rainier, land of not-so-many-uses. wink.gif I am a huge supporter of the National Parks, Teddy Roosevelt is one of my favorite presidents. Not taking any shots at our fine National Parks (other than you can't hike there with a dog). What I really like about your idea is that it is more consistent with the way land is being used today; use the marginal NFS land/ farmland to grow trees, etc. rather than a crop which is declining in popularity, like tobacco, for example. The USFS report I mentioned earlier specifically mentions that the majority of reforested land is as a result of disused agricultural land. It is disused because we can grow enough food without it, right? I realize the change is really not quite that simple, and it would take a long time to institute such a shift, this is a wholesale process of taking stock of the property they hold, what it's best used for, and reallocating it all for the 'best use'. This is supposedly what they are doing now and it doesn't work very well. We all seem to be in agreement on that part wink.gif Frank

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Oct 21, 2003 4:47 pm 
While 80% of their money may come from extraction, I'm sure at least that percentage of their expenditures go to extraction as well. By splitting off the wilderness areas from the logging areas, revenue change would be in bookkeeping only. I like my idea less since I read kiliki's response, which pointed out the deficiencies of Interior. I just think a reorganization is in order, with NFS wilderness areas being in the same department as the NPS. Please refer to my about-to-be-created thread "How to solve all of society's problems, or most of them anyway", in the saloon. It is (or is about to be) totally non-partisan! I promise!