Forum Index > Trail Talk > May Weather - 5 different patterns
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun May 05, 2002 7:30 pm 
It was a freakin' blizzard out there: I drove over Stevens Pass today, and I must tell you all, what a freakin' blizzard!!! It looked like a January snow storm. My son and I fooled around trying to fish in the wind at Fish Lake awhile with minimal results....a few small ones. What was rather unique was we saw 5 different weather patterns: rain, then a snow blizzard, strong wind, sunshine with blue sky, then a tremendous hail storm on the west side of the Pass clear to Monroe. If that don't beat all??? Here it is almost mid May and the Pass looks like January. Go figure?

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun May 05, 2002 8:20 pm 
I wonder for what percent of this millenium the alpine lakes have been unfrozen? Considering the recession of the south cascade glacier, it would seem like some of the lakes didn't even exist at all a couple hundred years ago... Are we just lucky to live at this time? Maybe someday the Alpine Lakes Wilderness will be called the Alpine Peaks Wilderness dizzy.gif http://www.geol.pdx.edu/Glaciers/granshaw/Glc226406a.html

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun May 05, 2002 11:46 pm 
(Interesting that the index is showing 0 replies to this thread...) I definately saw several of these patterns today. Washington is the only place where I've regularly seen it rain and sunny at the same time. tongue.gif I saw blizzard conditions at Longmire in MRNP around 6pm. When I left the park around 9pm it was snowing at the Nisqually entrance. I had flashbacks to December!

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon May 06, 2002 4:56 am 
I don't believe this. I live in Lake Stevens and at 4:30am this morning it was snowing. Not much, but enough to say it was. NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostMon May 06, 2002 7:27 am 
I live in Sultan and woke to snow on the ground out here, too. i knew the weather was different yesterday, it was rainy here almost all day, they about 8 pm, i went to town and i could see it had snowed quite a bit up in the mountains. Here we are waiting for the snow to receed back, so we can hike into the mt. and it keeps snowing where we live. shakehead.gif

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon May 06, 2002 7:48 am 
Wow--a schitzophrenic weekend--sunny, cold and windy on Saturday in the Manastash-the lake frozen over w/snow like I've never seen even in May--heck I've fished it the first week in May...then on Sunday in the Tieton Basin, (I went up and fished Lost and Long Lakes) strong winds, snow with intermittent sushine. About six weeks to summer, right?

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon May 06, 2002 8:22 am 
It was sunny and warm in Winthrop and Twisp this whole weekend!

Art is an adventure.
salish

salish
PostMon May 06, 2002 10:25 am 
Ditto for Stevens Pass. I was on a fishing trip in the Okanagon and we found out in Concunully that the snow level was somewhere around 1600' (we were thinking about coming back via that mountainous route from Concunully to Loup Loup, but the snow was too deep). We came through Stevens around 2:30pm Sunday and were amazed at the difference from our passage eastbound two days earlier. Is this MAY?

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostMon May 06, 2002 4:55 pm 
Stefan, How were the Gardners? Did them last year about this time and they were a lot of fun.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon May 06, 2002 9:29 pm 
Driving home from work today I listened to the snoqualmie pass advisory on the radio. Chains required. lol.gif

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon May 06, 2002 9:53 pm 
Just got back from Humpback Mtn. We had some incredible winter conditions -- nice dry snow, and about 12" new!! Wow, it was some of the best snow of the year. Ah... nothing like a good snowshoe in May, I say. Saw lots of westbound trucks dechaining at exit 47.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 07, 2002 8:02 pm 
Well, I woke up in the Days Inn motel in Bozeman this morning at 4am. When I got to my car it had four inches of snow on it! Had to plow thru drifts and 50' visibility all the way thru Missoula! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostTue May 07, 2002 9:17 pm 
Ok, Backpacker Joe, wins the most snow in the morning award, we are around here had none. I was out earlier and drove up Hwy. 2, to the Ranger station and checked on Mt. Persis, and then went up the rd. (Proctor Creek) it had a huge slide, and washed it out about 4 miles in and it also washed out the rd. to Persis, (which is above it). But the main point of this is the snow is thick up on top of the mt. around here. Plus being cold will keep it there, if this clearing holds out i might run up the Robe valle tomorrow and see what is cookin up there, you can see a few peaks from the road and if they opened the rd. to B4 then you can get up there and see it. Probably no avalanches it's too cold up high still. Hey, Backpacker, thanks for letting up know.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 08, 2002 8:07 am 
I'm quite sure Miss. I.G., that you are as welcome as you can possibly be! There is just something about that name that sounds so damn sexy! Sorry, cant help being a man! TB biggrin.gif tongue.gif wink.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed May 08, 2002 10:48 am 
19" in Lincoln County yesterday. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif