Forum Index > Trip Reports > PNWH Group Trip 10/16-10/18/2003
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 4:52 pm 
Our loosely knit group that we have dubbed "PNWH" got together this weekend for a weekend of carcamping and dayhiking up at Rainer. We all met up at Sunshine Point Campground at the Nisqually entrance. All in total, we had 15 show up over the weekend: Ford and me, Hoosierdaddy, Dicentra, Rainrunner, Ol Zeke and his wife April, Foggydew and hubby and Cody, Hikerdrew and his kids, and Orygwan. We camped friday night with awesome weather, getting drunk like usual. On saturday morning we got up to clear blue skies and the sun. We decided to head up to Paradise and check out the snow line. 12 of us were there at that point (Hikerdrew showed up late, and dayhiked with his kids). Lots of early luscious snow up there! up.gif We decided to see how far and high we could go, taking Alta Vista up. At the first viewpoint at Skyline, we narrowed down to the core 9 of us. And we headed on up to Panaroma Point at 6,900ft. The snow varied between none where the wind was gusting at 15-20mph, to 4 ft or so. We hit the point and were treated with a perfect view of all peaks from Hood, Adams, St. Helens and the Olympics. At this point we hit that coveted thingie:virgin snow biggrin.gif Yummy!! Up at the point we encountered a guy looking perplexed. he was alone and looking like he didn't know which way to go. I got talking with him and invited him along to join our group. Then over the edge we went, with a steep butt glissade we went down into the center of the bowl (low skyline) and started the trek across. In 3-4 ft of snow it was somewhat ok, anymore and we probably would have said no. But oh, it was pretty! Looked back as we hit the end of the bowl and saw the guy coming behind us! We kept going basically following the contours of the skyline trail as I rembered it from doing it in the summer. We glissaded another section. When we hit the Golden Gates trail we cut down that. so for 1.9 miles or so we cut snow and just soaking up the views and the freezing wind. Saw oodles of waterfalls, crossed numerous streams flowing fast. The snow varied from none to 4ft, but mostly around 2 ft in most areas. It was an awesome workout. We ended up walking with the guy we met and got talking-he was from Chicago, like Rainrunner. He was out here on business and had a day off so came up to Rainer. Never had hiked in the PNW before or snow. His name was Wes, probably in his 20's. A really nice guy! Hit Myrtle Falls and right on schedule got to see the parade o' Tourons lol.gif A woman in heels on iced over pavement, a guy in leather loafers prancing around going "I have snow in my shoes!!", the usual canidates biggrin.gif Eh I enjoy them! Lets not even talk about the man in capri hiking pants-men should NEVER be seen in capri pants, ever!! lol.gif We said goodbye to Wes and headed back to camp. Found Hikerdrew down there, and we all kicked back-after begging Rainrunner to drive to Elbe to get us 3 pizzas and pop up.gif Woo-Hoo!! Had lots of adult beverages, pizza, pop, chips and jiffypop...yummy!! It did rain this morning early but got nice as day came. We broke camp and said goodbye before noon. It was such a good weekend you guys! If you see cars or trucks with white oval "PNWH" stickers on them at a TH, you'll know they are part of the core group-it was my present this trip to the core group.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 5:43 pm 
Yet another SWEET PNWH posse trip!!!!
Sarbar! Thanks for planning yet another fanfreakingtabulous trip!!! winksmile.gif I must say though...luscious is another one of *those* words. tongue.gif From the story telling and drinking on Friday night to the breaking trail in virgin snow on Saturday. The hot pizza and cold beers on Sunday night was wonderful too! drink.gif Then later listening to the wonderful sound of rain on the roof of my car... smile.gif Good times. smile.gif Next time...Snowshoe adventure!! biggrin.gif I should have photos up on my site later tonight...I'll post when I get them up. smile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 5:59 pm 
Glad you had fun Sarbar. Sounds like quite the party? NN P.S. I'm waitin' for marylou's response. It should be good as usual.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:01 pm 
It always is when I have my posse (or fan club biggrin.gif ) with me! Ok, I'll say it-I love you guys! NN-didn't Marylou promise this weekend she was going to avoid my boring TR's? lol.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:05 pm 
The look on your face in that pic is priceless!! I just wish we coulda recorded your little girl screams and had the sound effects to go with it!!! lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:06 pm 
I was screaming like a little girl with 4 limbs flaying all over.......

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:24 pm 
Nice TR, except for the touron talk. yawn.gif Are you sure it wasn't Larry in the high heels?

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:27 pm 
Here's some photos!! Scroll down to the last entry. http://www.freewebs.com/dicentra/rainier.htm My appologies ahead of time to those of you with slow connections.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:44 pm 
Cool! I was updating my site also tonight smile.gif Love the shot of the sticker! BTW, the last one just got sent to Evanhill tonight-I think I am going to have to get another run of them! They went superfast, and I need to send BJ one!

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 6:52 pm 
Yes, but.... well... we'll wait and see if she be suckered into temptation. Anyway, by the looks of the photos, it looks like you all had a lot of fun. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 7:04 pm 
It was a really amazing and fun trip. I can't believe the luck we had with the weather!! biggrin.gif My trip report is up on my site now too...in addition to the photos. I just hope you-know-who approves! tongue.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 7:26 pm 
dicentra wrote:
My trip report is up on my site now too...in addition to the photos. I just hope you-know-who approves! tongue.gif
Don't you think you're asking for quite a bit? biggrin.gif NN

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 7:27 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif

Gordy Comer

Gordy Comer
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 8:46 pm 
It sounds like a cool trip, except...... you should know it isn't okay to drink and get drunk (or do drugs) in the presence of children. I hope you will really think about this one.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Oct 19, 2003 8:52 pm 
OK, Dad-we'll be sure to be good kiddies dizzy.gif DUH......... And by the way, I'd suggest you never, ever suggest that any of us do drugs!! We are clean hikers of all ages, from kids to those in their 60's. There is absoultely nothing wrong with sitting around a picnic table having a couple drinks and getting giggly. What do you think?? That we are burning down the campground and dancing naked?? I don't know why you are being so high and mighty!! If you people came on our trips you'd know what type of people we are! And since when did having cocktail hour in campgrounds become bad? It isn't like we are frat boys............ To which I should add-the only time drinking in front of kids is bad is if people get seriously drunk (ie vomitting, fighting, loud music, etc) None of which happens on OUR trips.