Forum Index > Trip Reports > PNWH Group Trip 10/16-10/18/2003
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
foggy

foggy
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 12:36 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Yeah, I might have chuckled seeing the heels, but I wouldn't judge them or anyone else that doesn't enjoy nature in the same ways that I do. As long as they aren't damaging the environment, I don't know why they are the object of derision (on a daily basis, on this board). For all you know, those "tourons" go home and write letters to their congresspeople in support of National Park funding. My little sister likes to drive to national parks, buy a stuffed animal, take a picture and go home. However, because she likes to do this, she joined the National Parks Conservation Association, which I think is great.
agree.gif and don't get me wrong, none of us would dare embarrass someone intentionally, of course, unless it's one of us in our group doing something silly, which btw, I'm well known for. tongue.gif I notice the comments are kept between us and other forum members.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 12:47 pm 
For the most part it looks like it was a fun time but it reminds me of another forum I post on regularly. Here's the story and a warning, I have been a regular member of another local hiking forum for over two years. The hiking community seemed to be quite respectfull and into the same things I was and then by Spring last year it changed drastically. We had an influx of partying yahoo's who seemed to care more about getting drunk on every trip, having big bonfires on every trip despite LNT principals and fire restrictions, and firing off bear bangers at every opportunity just for fun. They are loud, disrespectfull of their surroundings and other people. Essentially they have ruined the essence of the forum. Although their hikes are unimpressive for obvious reasons, they brag about their supposed hiking achievements in hopes of impressing any newbs. I personally think they set a very poor example. Now the whole forum is badly influenced by these poorly behaved people. ....the point, While I am far from being a prude and enjoy having some fun as much as the next person, I hope that this sort of activity is not going to lead down the same pathway on this forum.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 12:53 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Yeah, I might have chuckled seeing the heels, but I wouldn't judge them or anyone else that doesn't enjoy nature in the same ways that I do. As long as they aren't damaging the environment, I don't know why they are the object of derision (on a daily basis, on this board). For all you know, those "tourons" go home and write letters to their congresspeople in support of National Park funding. My little sister likes to drive to national parks, buy a stuffed animal, take a picture and go home. However, because she likes to do this, she joined the National Parks Conservation Association, which I think is great.
Well put Kiliki! up.gif If it was an every now and again comment about some moron out in the woods-ok. But when as you said it's said almost in a daily basis or in every trip report by certain folks, well IMO that's doesn't speak very well of the person who is saying that stuff. Especially when many people have tried to civilly explain to that person why that term is offensive to them, and frankly, it gives a bad impression of the hiking community.

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 1:46 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
For the most part it looks like it was a fun time but it reminds me of another forum I post on regularly. Here's the story and a warning, I have been a regular member of another local hiking forum for over two years. The hiking community seemed to be quite respectfull and into the same things I was and then by Spring last year it changed drastically. We had an influx of partying yahoo's who seemed to care more about getting drunk on every trip, having big bonfires on every trip despite LNT principals and fire restrictions, and firing off bear bangers at every opportunity just for fun. They are loud, disrespectfull of their surroundings and other people. Essentially they have ruined the essence of the forum. Although their hikes are unimpressive for obvious reasons, they brag about their supposed hiking achievements in hopes of impressing any newbs. I personally think they set a very poor example. Now the whole forum is badly influenced by these poorly behaved people. ....the point, While I am far from being a prude and enjoy having some fun as much as the next person, I hope that this sort of activity is not going to lead down the same pathway on this forum.
Just for the record, our trips are NEVER like that! We'd never stand for that kind of behavior on our trips. They are well thought out, and generally well planned. Ask Sarbar about me giving the "don't walk on the subalpine plants lecture" or about the times we have made people put OUT their fires because there was a fire ban and/or in an area where fires were not permitted. We try and teach the s-called newbies LNT while still having a good time. smile.gif If y'all want to see photos of our trips and get an idea of what *really* goes on, feel free to visit my website.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 1:51 pm 
Gee, sounds like we are going to have "Touron:Part 2" coming soon. What IS intresting is not one of you have noticed that we included a stranger on our trip that we met! Now, did we mock him? No, I invited him to join us, because I did not want to see a hiker out there alone in virgin snow (and getting hurt or lost!) And we had a good time. Now, do you REALLY know the real Sarbar? The Sarbar that drums up these trips, spends hours planning, getting permits, maps, graphs and countless emails getting all the group together. The Sarbar that loves nothing more than being in the outdoors. You do NOT know who the real Sarbar is, do you? So maybe I'll cackle at the tourists who are in heels, and guys in capri pants-but as I said before - SO WOULD YOU, and if you say you wouldn't then I know you are a liar. Just as much as I am sure those tourists look at us and think to themselves "what a bunch of stinky, dirty weirdos!". Now having said all this, did you like our trip report and photos, Dicentra's link to her website with a trip report and more photos? Or did you not read any of it and just decide we were all evil hikers due to the fact that we like big groups, a little booze and we like the word Touron? Hmmmmmmmmmm...me thinks you have a prejiduce against me and the PNWH's.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 1:51 pm 
Jeez, are you guys STILL congratulating each other on getting out car camping and going for a hike this weekend? rolleyes.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 1:54 pm 
I knew it! You couldn't resist lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif So what did you do Marylou? I am all ears! up.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:01 pm 
I didn't go out this weekend. My SO is leaving on a pretty long business trip tonight so we couldn't pull it off this weekend. I am not as good as you, apparently. rolleyes.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:01 pm 
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif LMFAO!!!! You know Sarbar, I think secretly she wants to join us, but just doesn't know how to ask! hihi.gif hihi.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:03 pm 
From 1913 Websters: \Prej"u*dice\, n. [F. pr['e]judice, L. praejudicium; prae before + judicium judgment. See {Prejudicate}, {Judicial}.] 1. Foresight. [Obs.] Naught might hinder his quick prejudize. --Spenser. 2. An opinion or judgment formed without due examination; prejudgment; a leaning toward one side of a question from other considerations than those belonging to it; an unreasonable predilection for, or objection against, anything; especially, an opinion or leaning adverse to anything, without just grounds, or before sufficient knowledge. Though often misled by prejudice and passion, he was emphatically an honest man. --Macaulay. 3. (Law) A bias on the part of judge, juror, or witness which interferes with fairness of judgment. 4. Mischief; hurt; damage; injury; detriment. --Locke. England and France might, through their amity, Breed him some prejudice. --Shak. Syn: Prejudgment; prepossession; bias; harm; hurt; damage; detriment; mischief; disadvantage. Predjudice is not the same thing as being judgemental or having an opinion, it is judging before all the facts are in. It appears that most people here belive that they havsufficentnt facts to form an opinion.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:09 pm 
Well, Marylou, if the old ball and chain is going out of town, that's when one ditches town too and goes hiking! I do it all the time.......Or as the Posse knows, if my better half isn't leaving town, then I leave him a casserole, some ice cream and clean laundry lol.gif If one lets real life drive all the time they'll never have any fun. My #1 priorty after taking care of my man and kid is to have as much fun in the great outdoors as I can. It's all about what is important!

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:21 pm 
As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. rolleyes.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:33 pm 
"As usual, you have no idea what you are talking about. " Why not? What is wrong with getting out when the SO is gone? My boyfriend has business trips periodically and/or other commitments due to work (such as being chained to his work computer and pager). That is when I go out with my hiking buddies and have fun with them. If he is chained to work, then I make sure he is good to go, give a kiss and hug and go. And, yes, I have very oldfashioned views, I'll admit. I think taking care of my family is my #1 goal. Oh wait, maybe my love of making casseroles and doing housework is getting to Marylou..........

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:55 pm 
No, that's not it. It's the fact that you never shut your trap, and most of the time you don't know what you are talking about. I don't want or need your advice about what I should or should not do with my time. Honey, I wouldn't let you carry my Therm-a-rest, let alone give me advice. You take up so much bandwidth on this site that it is starting to change the site. Can't you stick to overwhelming just ONE hiking bulletin board?

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Oct 20, 2003 2:59 pm 
marylou wrote:
No, that's not it. It's the fact that you never shut your trap, and most of the time you don't know what you are talking about. I don't want or need your advice about what I should or should not do with my time. Honey, I wouldn't let you carry my Therm-a-rest, let alone give me advice. You take up so much bandwidth on this site that it is starting to change the site. Can't you stick to overwhelming just ONE hiking bulletin board?
hmmm...I seem to remember you saying something about not responding or reading Sarbar's posts anymore? Just can't resist, can you? wink.gif moon.gif