Forum Index > Trail Talk > Holy Cow -- look at the waterfalls - Low elevation alternative
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 10:59 pm 
Hey Sore Feet, check out the loverly waterfalls on the Cow Heaven trail. There are several good views in the first 2000' gain (which starts way the heck down at el. 365'). Also some great moss and some nice large trees. Snow gets solid about 2400'. If you climb the mere 5200' to Helen Buttes you'll get superb views of the North Cascades. Guess what, ran into several local personalities there: Tom, Mike Collins, Mtn Mike, and several famous peak bagger dudes (Pilar didn't show, Stefan is still recovering from the Olympics). What a small world! Good to see ya Tom. We went to the Greek place in Sedro Wooley (good stuff) and I met a Greek buddy who I used to work with. What a day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Apr 28, 2002 11:38 pm 
Hmm *rubs stuble like scientist*. That's the one that starts behind the Marblemount Ranger station, right? I suspected something on that creek there. Keep 'em coming dude. Now I have yet another excuse to get back up that way, though I think Horseshoe Basin (from the Cascade River side) gets my attention first this summer. Anyone game?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 9:04 am 
Hopefully Tom will upload some of the photos he took! They are not super tall falls (I'd guess 30 to 50 feet), but they are quite loverly. Walk past the ranger station on the road about 1/4 mile until you see the "New Cow Heaven Trail". Only reason I mentioned it is it's ready for viewing right now -- no snow hassles.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 1:21 pm 
Trip report and pics are here.

IBEX

IBEX
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 7:19 pm 
Did you all see how fast those Cow Heaven WTA work parties filled up!! dizzy.gif I guess because its so close to the Marblemount Ranger Station.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 9:28 pm 
Wow, I really like that first waterfall photo. I'll have to head out there to shoot it if we ever get another cloudy weekend. The weather the last few days has been so incredible I'd be willing to wait until fall, though! Where is this Cow Heaven? I've heard the name (and what an interesting name it is), but I don't know where it is. Near Marblemount I take it, but where?

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon Apr 29, 2002 11:34 pm 
mcaver, drive to Marblemount. Just as you enter town is a sign to the Ranger Station for the Nat'l Park. Go left here, drive to the Ranger Station (about a mile off highway 20). Park near here and walk up the same road about 1/4 mile until you see the sign. It's in the 100 hikes book for North Cascades.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Apr 30, 2002 6:50 pm 
Hey, you guys should have posted that you were gonna do this volunteer your time for work bit. I would have gone! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln