Forum Index > Trip Reports > The End of the Road...10/30/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:53 am 
as I seen it. At least for now. It was a windy day with a deep bite to it. Partly sunny but the feel of very late fall/early winter in the air. As I drove thru the towns of Newhalem and Diablo, they felt like modern day ghost towns. Very little activity, the wind blowing the leaves across the road and yards. It was so peaceful I wish I could have stayed. As I left the clouds appeared to be moving in to drop some snow. I saw an Eagle close up but didn't have the time to get photos. I got out of the truck to check the river and saw some Eagles, Vultures and Seagulls fighting for salvage rights for dinner on the Skagit. I could hear the talking back and forth. Was neat. The sunset on the way out was awesome. Sorry, but no good places to get a pic. Except for the end of the road, the photos were taken from the road as I had little time to wander. Lots of construction activity and trucks on the road. Stop and go, one lane traffic in places up to Newhalem where the road is closed. The washout is much bigger than it appears in the photos. Progress is being made. End of the Road NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 9:52 am 
Hey, by any chance, did you notice if the Goodell Creek Campground was closed? It is right before Newhalem on the right (before the visitor center).

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:03 pm 
I believe it said CLOSED NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:05 pm 
Poopie-since Colonial Creek CG got toasted (at Diablo) and the main CG at the visitor center are closed in winter, Goodell was always the only one open. I stayed there I think 4 or so times last winter. It has the best viewing of the bald eagles around.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:32 pm 
You might give the ranger station a call as I don't see it listed as closed. I know as I approached Newhalem the sign said a couple were closed. Could have been those past the road closure. I'll admit, I didn't pay real, real close attention to the sign so, I may be wrong, Dang it anyway. I just hate that. Sorry. frown.gif NN

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:33 pm 
I should have been physic and known you were heading up there biggrin.gif Heehee!! Yeah, I could get off my lazy butt and call them....but that takes exercise! lol.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:36 pm 
Newbie Newt wrote:
as I seen it. At least for now. It was a windy day with a deep bite to it. Partly sunny but the feel of very late fall/early winter in the air. As I drove thru the towns of Newhalem and Diablo, they felt like modern day ghost towns. Very little activity, the wind blowing the leaves across the road and yards. It was so peaceful I wish I could have stayed. As I left the clouds appeared to be moving in to drop some snow. I saw an Eagle close up but didn't have the time to get photos. I got out of the truck to check the river and saw some Eagles, Vultures and Seagulls fighting for salvage rights for dinner on the Skagit. I could hear the talking back and forth. Was neat. The sunset on the way out was awesome. Sorry, but no good places to get a pic. Except for the end of the road, the photos were taken from the road as I had little time to wander. Lots of construction activity and trucks on the road. Stop and go, one lane traffic in places up to Newhalem where the road is closed. The washout is much bigger than it appears in the photos. Progress is being made. End of the Road NN
But Newbie have you actually been to Roads End? Hint: For those of you don't know, there is a trailhead from this place.

Art is an adventure.
Duncan

Duncan
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:37 pm 
Sarbar, here's what the NCNP webpage says: Goodell Creek SR 20 MP 119, elev. 500' OPEN 21 sites. Fee: $10/night. Flood damage to all lower sites. Sites 16-20 near the shelter and boat launch remain open. Open all year. Vault toilets. Picnic shelter and raft launch on Skagit River. No firewood gathering permitted. Campground open in winter with no water, services, or fee. The closed sign Newbie may have seen was probably for the visitor center. Hope this is what your looking for. Cheers!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:42 pm 
Thanks! It's my favorite because of 3 reasons: FREE, (it does have water, ya just gotta filter it and it has 2 choice privies) it is very peaceful under a light canopy of trees and the creek gurgling by, and that covered picnic area rocks, we'd set up camp near it, then take our chairs and everything down there and spend 90% of our time there. It is right above the creek. In all the times I have spent there in off season, we were always the only people there up.gif Best of all:on weekends you can go over to the visitor center on cold days and use the heated bathrooms for "sponge baths" and loiter in front of their oversized fireplace till the ranger glares at you with the look of "get your stinky butt out of my place!" lol.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 5:43 pm 
Yup, Newbie took those pictures. Lucky to come back alive too. Most folks don't come back from *The End Of The Road*. NN
Stefan wrote:
Newbie Newt wrote:
But Newbie have you actually been to Roads End? Hint: For those of you don't know, there is a trailhead from this place.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 9:15 pm 
Quote:
Yup, Newbie took those pictures. Lucky to come back alive too. Most folks don't come back from *The End Of The Road*.
Hey Newbie, have you checked your pulse at all? Yep, even chickens can run around for a little while after their head's been chopped off.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 8:47 am 
That was my running around. 'Sides, you wouldn't want me to waste your tax $$ would you? NN

Andrew

Andrew
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 12:47 pm 
Oh my gosh! Is that the remnants of Highway 20 in your album, with the metal water tube?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 5:36 pm 
That's it for now. It's being repaired as I type. Replacement culvert should arrive first of the week. All other areas of damage are being worked on. 6, I think. NN

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 8:41 pm 
Well it was another nice, sunny and brisk day to head to Diablo. Looks like Goodell is open. It also looks like they drained the reservoir behind Gorge Dam. This is the lowest I've seen it. Diablo Newt