Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Physics lab under the Enchantments ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostFri Oct 31, 2003 6:22 pm 
The Wenatchee World ran an article on the front page this evening regarding the National Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, (NUSEL). Apparently Cashmere Mountain and Cannon Mountain are on the top of this groups list for a large underground physics lab. They need 6000 feet of covering rock and they like the stable geology of the region and the ease of access. They were looking at the Homestake Mine in South Dakota, but that deal fell through. This could be very interesting, as they also want to have 240,000 square feet of buildings 10 miles from the site. I imagine that means somewhere by the fish hatchery and Sleeping Lady resort. They don't say how many people would be working there, but I imagine that it would be a sizable number. Do any of you know any more about this ?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 9:41 am 
I wonder if this is part of that atomic particle bombardment.

Art is an adventure.
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 12:16 pm 
Nothing about it mentioned here.

troutman

troutman
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 12:20 pm 
Does this mean we get to skin to the top of the mountain from their newly developed parking lot and improved paved Iclcle Creek Road? Maybe we will get to access Doctor creek year round. Possibly a chair to the top of Cannon and Enchantment peak?

Dante

Dante
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 12:25 pm 
troutman wrote:
Does this mean we get to skin to the top of the mountain from their newly developed parking lot and improved paved Iclcle Creek Road? Maybe we will get to access Doctor creek year round. Possibly a chair to the top of Cannon and Enchantment peak?
You can just take the elevator up to the lakes hockeygrin.gif

troutman

troutman
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 12:55 pm 
From the elevator, you can then ride the commuter bus straight to the base of Prussik Peak. Have coffee from the espresso booth by Gnome Tarn and take the gondola to the summit. What better way to spend the morning?

Dante

Dante
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 12:57 pm 
troutman wrote:
From the elevator, you can then ride the commuter bus straight to the base of Prussik Peak. Have coffee from the espresso booth by Gnome Tarn and take the gondola to the summit. What better way to spend the morning?
Assuming you have a reservation and have paid the Disney Corporation for your E(nchantment Land)-Pass wink.gif

mgd

mgd
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 2:08 pm 
Yes, but it's the waterslide down Aasgard Pass into Colchuck Pool that takes the cake. It makes the hike to the top all worthwhile.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 2:18 pm 
Quote:
The Wenatchee World ran an article on the front page this evening regarding the National Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory, (NUSEL).
Revenge of the Nerds. Underground Physics lab moves to NU-HEI-SEL's waterfront residence when fired football coach cannot repay $1.5 million loan to UW. Story at 11.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Nov 05, 2003 8:34 am 
This made the Seattle Times today. (sorry registration required- couldn't find it in the PI) The Times article has several quotes from Harriet Bullitt (owner of Sleeping Lady) saying she is in favor of the project. Supposedly the 5 miles of tunnels could be drilled from outside the wilderness area. When asked about the drilling. Bullitt said it would bother her. "I can't see anything that would not be of benefit to the whole community," she said. "The Icicle Valley is a sacred place, but it's not pristine anymore. It's a grab bag for developers."

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Nov 05, 2003 8:36 am 
Oh yeah, to answer MikeE's question; it would employ 100 people and accomodate 120 or more visiting scientists.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Nov 05, 2003 12:55 pm 
I think it's kinda cool. If they can drill from outside the Wilderness, not that big a deal. What i'd like to see as mitigations: Would be nice if they build as much as possible underground, including offices and parking, so as to minimize the footprint. After all, if they're digging miles of tunnel office space and parking for 100 shouldn't be a big deal. Also, cutoff lighting and extremely limited external lighting at night to preserve the character of the valley.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Nov 05, 2003 1:08 pm 
Just as long as there not gonna be building some sort of new fangled nuclear colf fusion hydrogen ubermega bomb. paranoid.gif And where are they gonna put all the excavated rock? confused.gif

Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostWed Nov 05, 2003 4:05 pm 
The scale of this thing could be huge. Here's a link to the UW NUSEL page, check out the info on the Homestake Mine labs in Lead South Dakota which would be replaced by the Cashmere Mountain lab. The politics surrounding the Homestake project and the management screw ups make me nervous. http://int.phys.washington.edu/NUSEL/ HTD

Dante

Dante
PostWed Nov 05, 2003 4:22 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
And where are they gonna put all the excavated rock? confused.gif
I think they should build a Bavarian-style castle like Schwanstein clown.gif
The could put the parking and admin there and it would build on Leavenworth's bavarian theme and draw more tourists.