Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Physics lab under the Enchantments ?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Apr 24, 2005 7:13 pm 
That's a good question to ask. Any restricted areas and what are the boundries? Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Apr 24, 2005 7:22 pm 
Isn't there some granite in Granite Falls they could build this under? I'm for extending the wilderness boundaries to include the Icicle Creek road. Plus I wouldn't mind having the psychics in GF because then I could get a personal consultation instead of having to phone the hotline. I'm really hoping Madame Cleo will be included with the psychic lab deal. If we got the lab but she ended up in the mine shaft in South Dakota, it would be a pyrrhic victory.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
mgd

mgd
PostSun Apr 24, 2005 7:38 pm 
touron, read the articles. There is no mention of Cleo. We are going to get stuck with the lab. California or maybe Paul Allen will get Cleo. shakehead.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Apr 24, 2005 7:43 pm 
Quote:
Maybe in an effort to save the icicle and avoid all these impacts and the temptation to add another, the road should be closed entirely at Snow Creek trailhead. After all, it would increase the wildness of the entire valley and save the wilderness from the people trying to get to it!
Here's the thing: The horse is out of the barn on development in Icicle Canyon. There is a fair bit of private land up there, and it's been built on and logged. Honestly, I'd prefer that the whole valley was in the Wilderness, but the development up there predates the ALW. Some just barely predates, like the logging that was happening up Mountaineer Creek way while the bill was making its way through Congress. However, the physics lab is NOT built yet, and those who oppose still have the chance to fight that. We still have a chance to object. I know your above statement was half in jest, but I'd love to see no further development take place in the Icicle.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Apr 24, 2005 9:43 pm 
I don't see any comment on my question about the railway running all over the place off the Mountain Home road near Boundary Butte. I was told by some Wenatchee locals that it was the beginnings of an amusement park. It's not in the wilderness, but only 2-3 miles from the boundary. Why isn't anyone concerned about this? If it truely is an amusment park, I would think that would cause more strife in the Leavenworthian lifestyle than something 7,000 ft under the ground. Anyone from Leavenworth know what is going on up there?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Apr 24, 2005 10:10 pm 
I'm guessing they're probably more concerned about lots of trucks hauling rocks thru their back yard for a few years than anything. wink.gif

brownster145

brownster145
PostMon Apr 25, 2005 12:25 am 
Interesting discussion, here. Does anybody--perhaps somebody with a bit of scientific inclination--care to explain what sorts of experiments this lab is going to facilitate and/or why 6000' of overhead rock is requisite? I don't spend a lot of time over in that area, but the quarry for the new runway at Sea-Tac isn't too far from one of my regular fishing haunts and I can sympathize pretty well with anybody who's apprehensive about the prospect of following a train of noisy/slow/stank gravel trucks up and down the highway all summer long. That said, if there is a scientifically good reason to do this, then, well, science is good, and I'm probably for it. Naturally, if it was in my backyard, I'd be up in arms. tongue.gif Thanks, Andrew

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Apr 25, 2005 9:28 am 
they need the shielding from solar radation and low energy cosmic rays for the experiments. otherwise they can't separate what they are trying to measure from the background noise.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 10:46 am 
NYT article on Neutrino labs. Can use bug-me-not if not a subscriber.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 11:51 am 
Quote:
Isn't there some granite in Granite Falls they could build this under?
the geology of that portion of the cascades is full of faults and fractures, not a good start for a deep underground facility. the other issue is the desire for horizontal access to decrease construction costs, combined with the need for as much depth as possible means you need a place with a low footing and a lot of vertical relief to dig under. In the icicle, they can dig sideways from 1000+ and get to 7000+ of shielding overhead. in granite falls area, they'd need to find the highest peaks to go under and then we'd be having this same argument about Mt Pugh or Monte Cristo or whatever, and you can imagine the sackcloth and tearing of hair if the proposal was to dig under Silverstar or Forbidden or....

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 12:04 pm 
They should extend Alpine Lakes Wilderness to include Tronsen Ridge, Mission Ridge, Red Hill area up to Liberty - Beehive if you ask me. wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 12:17 pm 
If it was safe, if it brought jobs, if it made people happy and rich, that would be irrelevant as it is still infringement upon wilderness and wilderness habitat. It's not about people, it's about leaving alone the natural order to the extent possible. You want concrete put it under Wall St. or The Whitehouse. But it's the nature and historical trend of men to chip away, slowly, but surely destroying everything given time. wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 1:17 pm 
yeah, why not lock out another bunch of users. they won't mind. as we know, mountain access should be restricted to a subset of all recreation uses, the rest should sit n spin confused.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 1:25 pm 
It's not about restricting access, it's about preserving Wilderness. The primary function of Wilderness is preservation, with recreation being a ways down the list.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 1:35 pm 
Then it's still about restricting access. Call it what you want, in the end the access and use are restricted to "preserve" it.