Forum Index > Photography Talk > Technique (Split From Cup Lake TR)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 9:48 am 
Bob K-- The artistic side of Art Wolfe is much more strong than in many photographers indeed and is why he has been successful in his trade. He grew up as an artist and long felt he was going to be a painter and art instructor. In fact he got his teaching certificate and taught...for one year before moving on to what suddenly was working for him and that was having his photogrpahy be his art. Or, read my upcoming profile on him to learn more and dig deeper into his life in the December 2003 SportsEtc Magazine. smile.gif Since he moved on to self-publishing 5 years ago I"m sure the pressure to succeed is greater. Greater up front costs, but better resulting product and more profit if it sells. So what you say in using what sells is part of it I'm sure. I also feel that he is taking on MUCH harder projects than all of the first 50 books he did which take him to very complicated areas trying to capture very complicated subjects. So that may too play a strong roll in bringing out a slightly different side of his photography. With a million images in his image library I'd guess it takes work to keep creating "new exciting stuff". I'll note here that Art Wolfe is not my favorite photographer in terms of photographs. I admire his work greatly but he isn't heads above many others I admire. BUT...Art Wolfe as a person is one of the greatest individuals that I have ever had the pleasure to get to know and meet. He is one of the most warm and pleasant people that I have met in a long time and I look forward to getting to spend a bit more time with him next month one evening at an event. THAT puts him far ahead of most other photographers for me in my eyes..... Plus he said his staff would kid-sit my kids for me so I could spend more time in the field. For some reason I don't think my wife thinks that is an option! biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 16, 2003 2:21 pm 
Sir Alan, it's really wonderful to hear such positive things about someone that I've always thought (and hoped) was that way in the first place. I have always loved his work. Somehow I dont see him getting all fussy and insecure were I or anyone else to ask him how he composed this, or how he composed that. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message