Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kachess Ridge Trail - Kachess Beacon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSat Nov 01, 2003 9:13 pm 
Brrrrr! It was just plain cold. We wanted to get into the high country once more before significant snow arrived and with the short days and me with a Halloween hangover from Halloween candy, Kachess Ridge sounded just about right. Not too far to drive, no risk of washed out bridges, and snow, if any, would be arriving late in the day if at all. One car at the trailhead when we arrived. An aging impala with a trail pass. Perfect trailhead car. Loved it. Trail was icy and where it wasn't icy it was squishy with hoar-frost. Not much fall color left, a bit here and there. Though there isn't much snow at all it looks and feels like winter. It was very, very cold. We made a short day of it by hiking up to the beacon on the ridge for a view of a sullen sky and a dusting of snow on adjacent ridges. A few blow-downs on the beacon trail to the ridge and one little spot where you have the choice of walking on solid ice with nothing to hang on to but Devil's Club. Fortunately, that stretch is short. It was like being in a gymnasium covered with ice, in fact, but a helluva lot of fun. About 5 miles (or a bit less) round-trip, about 2,400 feet gain. Pancakes at the summit was a good ending to the day. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 12:33 am 
I use to have an impala with a 396 4bbl - that baby could cruuuuuuise. Oh wait........ I bet you're talkin' about those deer-like African savannah creatures with supersprings for legs aren't you? Sorry doh.gif embarassedlaugh.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 3:46 pm 
I'm not just a little surprised the impala was able to scrape enough money together for a trail pass, but then maybe that's why you don't see many impalas in the wilderness, or other animals for that matter. I thought older animals got some kind of discount, but it appears the same fees are callously being applied to all irregardless of economic status. The camel's nose is definitely inside the tent.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 3:56 pm 
I'm wondering where you got the pancakes? NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Karen

Karen
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 5:33 pm 
Newbie, We were so cold and hungry that we stopped at Snoqualmie Summit at the Pancake House. There was almost nobody there. Amazing. That place can really be jumping at times. The pan cakes were good. I had corn cakes. My companion had buckwheats so I ate half of his and he ate half of mine. But I am more of a carnivore than he is and I also ordered a side of bacon. Maybe I should have ordered a beacon instead? By the way, does anyone know how much a "rasher" is? I've come across that term in my readings --- someone orders a rasher of bacon. It sounds like a LOT. Karen

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 5:40 pm 
Thanks Karen. I'm not much of an I-90 guy so don't know what's on top. I usually go scenic even if it's the long way. A rasher? It's gotta be smaller than a side.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JimK

JimK
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 5:50 pm 
Karen, How's this: Dear Word Detective: In British cooking magazines I often see the term "rasher" of bacon. Just for curiosity (and convenience in recipe conversion), I've been trying to find out the meaning. I've talked to friends from Britain, and they say they've always used the term, but don't know the origin, or if it refers to a certain amount or type of bacon. The most logical origin we've guessed is that "rasher" came from times when meat was "rationed", e.g., wartime. I even asked a gourmet grocer in London via e-mail. They didn't know either. Can you set us straight? -- Chef E.J., via the internet. That's very weird. I always assumed that everyone in England knew what a "rasher" of bacon was, since the term is far more common over there than here in the U.S. I first encountered the term as a teenager in the mid-1960s while reading a James Bond novel. Don't ask me why I remember this, but at one point author Ian Fleming had Bond consuming an enormous breakfast consisting of platoons of eggs, piles of toast, pots of coffee, and "several rashers" of bacon. Judging from the generally gluttonous tone of Fleming's description, I figured a "rasher" was probably equivalent to five pounds of bacon, maybe ten. So it came as a bit of a surprise to learn years later that a "rasher" of bacon is simply what we Americans would call a "strip" of bacon. One puny little strip. So it takes at least five "rashers" to make a plausible bacon sandwich. I know I shouldn't let these things throw me, but I haven't felt the same about James Bond ever since. What a wuss. Probably a closet vegetarian. To be fair to Bond, "rasher" is sometimes loosely used to mean "an order of bacon," presumably four or five strips. But strictly speaking, a "rasher" is a thin slice of bacon or ham, usually broiled or fried. The origin of "rasher" is uncertain, but it is probably related to the French "raser" (to cut or shave) which also gave us "raze" (to destroy or obliterate) and "razor." "Rasher" first appeared in English in the late 16th century.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 6:22 pm 
eek.gif That's more than enough space devoted to the term rasher- any people that call hoods bonnets and trucks lorries is mighty suspect. I'm going to go back and smoke my faggots. embarassedlaugh.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 02, 2003 9:39 pm 
And if cars have a "boot", do elephants as well? I thought the title of this thread was "beacon", not "bacon". My Roget's thesaurus doesn't list "rasher", nor is it listed under words meaning "slice". Based on the listed meaning above, it should be a synonym for slice. I'll call Roget tomorrow, he'll have it in by next week. agree.gif (Merriam-Webster online says that a rasher is a slice of bacon or ham, broiled or fried, or a portion including several such slices.)

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 2:47 am 
british cars also have wings- we call them fenders....

hikermike

hikermike
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 6:09 pm 
I'm sorry, but I thought when you said you had pancakes on the summit, I thought you meant summit of Kachees, not Summit.

Karen

Karen
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 8:16 pm 
Wow, this pancake stuff is over the edge!!! Suffice it to say that if the beacon doesn't beckon you can always try a rasher of bacon. Karen

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 8:58 pm 
Real Maple syrup? NN

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 10:08 pm 
I don't think I've ever had real maple syrup. Much too expensive in the stores. I've survived so far with Mrs. Butterworths et al. Just the idea that they're putting taps into those poor trees.... bawl.gif Karen, next report please don't talk about food and keep the focus on the trail- thank you. clown.gif

Karen

Karen
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 11:16 am 
Hey Moose&Squirrel, Isn't that the real reason we hike? Gives us an excuse to chow down!! Kaen