Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > well known sightings
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigSac

BigSac
PostMon Nov 03, 2003 11:19 pm 
Anybody have any well known people encounters while one a hike? I had two while on day hikes from the Palomarin trailhead just north of San Franciso in the Point Reyes National Seashore. One of them was a former professional athelete(Steve Young), and the other was a singer(David Bowie). I encountered David Bowie several years ago after I had this miserable experience hiking down an unmaintained trail to connect to the coast trail. I had to go through about fifty yards of stinging nettles as tall as I was to get to the mail trail. I was sitting at the trail junction in a state of extreme discomfort when I saw two people approaching, a man and a woman. I thought to myself that the man looked like an older, fatter version of the way I remembered David Bowie from the sixties. When he asked me if I was alright, I knew it was him from his voice. The other time when I saw Steve Young on the same trail, he asked me for trail directions and was behaving king of goofy like he does on the Toyota commercials. I think he was one concussion away from eating baby food for the rest of his life when he retired. These were my only celebrity encounters in thirty years of hiking and they happened during the same year!

Go Kings!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 12:24 am 
Hey Sac, funny stories! up.gif Steve Young is one thing but seeing Bowie while out hiking- I mean, what are the odds? biggrin.gif I haven't seen anyone cool like that out hiking, but my slim celebrity portfolio is: having Burt Bacharach & Angie Dickinson (when they were still married) and jockey Willie Shoemaker walk by me in the early 70's at Del Mar racetrack near LA. She was almost as tiny as Willie. Mid-70's over in Hawaii sat at a table next to Frank Sinatra, his wife & some others I didn't know at a big table in some fancy beach restaurant. The wait-staff was just swarming around them (hey-how about us!). I'm embarrassed these two encounters sound like I'm Joe-Jetset (fancy Hawaiian restaurant, posh CA racetrack... biggrin.gif )- faaaar from it really. Okay, important stuff-how are the Kings going to do this year? Finish ahead of the Sonics? embarassedlaugh.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 12:38 am 
I haven't got any famous on trail sightings, but I have several off trail sightings. For several years I worked doing landscape maintenance for large estates in the area. At one place I saw Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox (from the Eurythmics for those who've been under a rock) -- really nice folks, stopped to talk about the roses. At another place I saw George Lucas and Steven Spielberg (sp?), not at the same time but at the same house.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 12:51 am 
Aw.....my sightings suck compared to everyone else's. I saw Bill Nye the Science Guy at the electric train store I used to work at. And I once saw Edgar Martinez at Ballys in Bridal Trails. That's it. frown.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 12:57 am 
No, you're just a young pup- live a long & useless life like mine and you'll see a few stars! I'd kill to see Edgar though-he's a sports hero of mine. I have a pen & ink portrait of him done a few years ago by an ex-M's ballgirl (Rosey Santizo) that I'd like him to sign someday.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 1:04 am 
I met Dan Rather when he flew in for his nephew's wedding, whom I happened to work with.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 1:43 am 
I wound up talking to an older fellow half way up Tiger mtn a couple years ago, who turned out to have drawn a shaded map of Mt Rainier NP that won some nationwide prize for best map, (National Geographic?). Maybe not famous to some, but as a map freak I was pretty impressed.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 2:09 am 
My only famous sighting was the guy that took the Rainier lenticular photo as described in this thread.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 5:36 am 
When I was the bellman at the Camlin hotel, I carried the guitar of Slash, the guitarist for Guns and Roses. He came to perform at Paul Allen's birthday party at the Paramount across the street. He laughed when I called him "Mr. Slash". I also met and partied with War, when they played at the Paramount. When I was the Ice Cream Man of Greenlake, I sold a popsicle to Shawn Kemp as he was taking a break from a pick-up game near the Rec Center. When I sold pizza outside of the Kingdome for Mariners games, I met the man who was "Chuck", on the Almost Live segment called "Nature Walk with Chuck". He was somewhat shocked to be recognized. I forget his name. I currently manage a storage unit with some famous and almost famous customers: Steve Wilson from Almost Live; John Rosellini, son of the former Governor of Washington; and Rosanne Blethen, niece of the Times owner. Does anyone else remember "Nature Walk with Chuck"? It was hilarious. He was always trashing the environment and abusing his Forest Service intern Jimmy. Once he wanted an omlette for breakfast, so he made Jimmy climb a tree and steal eagle's eggs, and of course the mama eagle came back and savaged Jimmy. My favorite was when Chuck gave Jimmy a lesson in which berries were safe to eat. He told him "Berries red, then go ahead". As Jimmy had a seizure, Chuck gave him CPR while musing "Maybe it was berries red, you're dead. Yeah, that was it." Black comedy at its finest!

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:11 am 
On a hike? No, unless you count Lou Whittaker. He was with an RMI group that happened to take a rest stop at the same place we did while on the way to Camp Muir about 3-4 years ago. Not on a hike? Tom Selleck. He was in Moses Lake while they filmed some rural locations for the movie Runaway back in the early '80s (terrible movie, BTW. Also starred Gene Simmons of KISS as the bad guy). He was getting into a car outside a Mexican resturant as we went in. Last time I ate there, the owner still had a picture of he and Tom up on the wall. Last but not least, my son is among the rich and famous. He was in Sports Illustrated last month. Actually, he is in an anti-smoking brochure put out by Phillip Morris which was inserted into SI last month. He earned $300 for *ahem* modelling. It's also available online (he's on page 8 of the .pdf or page 14 of the hardcopy.)

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:28 am 
In following the Dead in my younger days I met some real "winners" up.gif I got in an argument with Wavy Gravy (he thought a bunch of kids were mine that were brats and yelled at me. Then I started yelling at him (this was well before I had Ford) We were at a concert once and my boyfriend at the time got 2 flat tires. He knew some people, and the guitarist of the opening band gave us a lift...I then spilled my beer in the back of the guys truck....Yay! Then when I was 20 I lived with this crazy female blues singer from Skagit County who toured all over-one time she did Europe and came back with $500, a pair of new shoes, and the tales of spending like $5,000 on cocaine in Asterdam!!!! She had friends all over in the music industry - especially the most annoying: there was this guy who'd call every week to see if she was back from Europe-they wanted to do a revival tour and they wanted her to sing. This guy would talk and talk and talk-he wanted to know how young we were, what we looked like eek.gif. It was the guy from Big Brother and Holding Co. The guy that had dated Janis Joplin back in the 60's-they wanted crazy lady to do a Europe tour of singing like Janis. Can't rember his name-he was something the third. Really weird guy!!!! For local cheesy celeb's: CCR's newer singer John Tristao is from Whidbey Island. He has been in the music biz for a long, long time and has met about every musician you can think of-he has an awesome collection of signed photos of him and the others. His family lives in Coupeville, and they are the nicest people you'd ever meet. His wife is from Europe btw, and she has the craziest old pervert for a dad (his name is Leo). They were good customers of mine. My brother had a habit of getting the local caters to the movie sets to "hire" him when they came to Coupeville to shoot in the late 90's. He has met numerous actors and directors that way. And all he had to do was serve clam chowder up.gif Sandra Bullock's photo hangs mightly wink.gif My favorite is the old mapmaker I met in my store-he was a very old man and he gave me some maps of the Olympics from the 50's that show all the old trails. Turns out he was well known-he was an instructor in the 60's and 70's at the Olympic College on the pennisula in climbing. Turns out Hoosierdaddy even knew him. I feel blessed he gave me those maps! Oh yeah, and I met all the guys in Ben Folds 5 when I was pregnant in 97'.The lead singer was a total prick, the other 2 were very nice. In 95' I was given a backstage pass randomly at a Dead show (this happened sometimes) but I never used it-I just didn't want to find out my idols were drugged up losers!! Oh yeah, and I met Sir Mix A Lot in like 92 or 93'......... Then there was another band in 93' where I knew the lead singer (who was very talented but a total alcholic). We became drinking buddies for 6 months or so...He was known for wandering out in his boxers, wool socks and a t-shirt on freezing evenings and being found in ditches passed out. Names remain hidden on this one. He was a good guy-just a bad drunk.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
JimK

JimK
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 8:53 am 
Sluggo, Only on the intenet could one easily find that Matt Smith played Chuck. He was a great role model for future hikers. A backpack, guns, beer, and cigarettes...

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 9:51 am 
I've met some well-known photographers in the last few years -- Art Wolfe, Marc Muench, Lee Mann, George Lepp. Pretty cool for me, being a photogeek. up.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 10:18 am 
Thanks, JimK. I thought my list of "celebrities" was kind of lame until I read Sarbar's list. I have never heard of anyone she mentioned, or the bands either! (Well, almost no one). Between her and me, we've met everyone who is no one! lol.gif lol.gif (Just kidding, Sar) Matt Smith is actually a talented comedian apart from the "Chuck" thing. Chuck didn't always drink beer, though. Oh, no. Sometimes he made Jimmy bring hard liquor, or maybe an espresso machine tied to his back. The cigarette dangling from his lip was a nice touch as well. The phony wilderness and conservation advice was priceless. I wish I had some of those episodes on tape!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Nov 04, 2003 10:28 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I wound up talking to an older fellow half way up Tiger mtn a couple years ago, who turned out to have drawn a shaded map of Mt Rainier NP that won some nationwide prize for best map, (National Geographic?). Maybe not famous to some, but as a map freak I was pretty impressed.
Dee Molinar?