Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Help! History on mining
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Robertcg

Robertcg
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 9:51 pm 
am doing a thesis paper for my history class and I need some help. My topic is the advancement of technology in mining between 1890ish to the end of WWII based in the Northern Cascades (ie. Mineral City, Monte Cristo, etc...). I am in desperate need of information, sources for books, pictures of mines and equipment used, etc... If anyone cold help me out that would be great. THX! hockeygrin.gif ~Robertcg~ (P.S. This also posted in the history section)

And they said I couldn't go a week without sleep. Phfffff! Sure showed them. Yay for caffeine!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 10:05 pm 
I would go on a field trip to a place like Rosalyn and check out their library. Hmm....Rosalyn.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Robertcg

Robertcg
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 10:20 pm 
One more thing that I am looking for is the time that these mines were operating and what for. confused.gif ~Robertcg~

And they said I couldn't go a week without sleep. Phfffff! Sure showed them. Yay for caffeine!
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 10:28 pm 
Rosyln has a museum that's open on weekends now I believe. Small place but lots of mining history stuff inside. Books on mining: Monte Cristo by Philip Woodhouse and Discovering Washington's Historic Mines also by Woodhouse (two different volumes) have lots of history, descriptions and photos of mines.

Robertcg

Robertcg
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 10:51 pm 
Anyone got pics? biggrin.gif

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 11:46 am 
I didn't see this topic until now, otherwise I would have responded earlier. These are questions you should be asking your professor or your college reference librarian. If this is for a university class you will want to rely only on scholarly sources. I'm not sure where you are attending school, but at the UW and WWU, for example, there are special regional history collections that would probably include quite a bit of info on your subject (you don't have to attend those schools to use their collections, etiher). These university libraries have staff that know the collections inside and out-take advantage of their knowledge, and they'll point you to better sources than you'll be able to find by asking on the internet.

Odonata

Odonata
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 3:44 pm 
I would take a look at the latest Becky book, a range of Glaciers I think its called. There is also a good, small book about Monte Cristo area/history. You shouldn't have any trouble getting your info.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 5:46 pm 
Odonata wrote:
There is also a good, small book about Monte Cristo area/history.
Yeah, it was already listed above, titled Monte Cristo by Philip Woodhouse. But don't anyone bother to help the poor guy out unless you're a scholar. hockeygrin.gif

Odonata

Odonata
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 7:52 pm 
While admittedley not very scholarly, a member of this forum has a site http://www.2drx.com/ that explores old mines. There is a lot of information there.

Blake

Blake
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 8:42 pm 
Check out Beckey's CAG, the Stevens to Rainy pass one.
Tunnel Lake
Tunnel Lake

-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 8:46 pm 

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 9:56 pm 
Sorry, didn't mean to sound snotty with the scholarly thing, but as someone who gets (has to?) to grade undergraduate papers, I know what's acceptable and what's not when researching. BTW, I did a quick search on the Online Library of Congress site (you should be able to access this through your college-ask your librarian) for "mines" and "Washington State" and got 623 results.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 10:19 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound snotty with the scholarly thing, but as someone who gets (has to?) to grade undergraduate papers, I know what's acceptable and what's not when researching. BTW, I did a quick search on the Online Library of Congress site (you should be able to access this through your college-ask your librarian) for "mines" and "Washington State" and got 623 results.
I was just teasing ya. So what's unacceptable for instance with Woodhouse's Monte Cristo, if you are familiar with it? To the layperson he seems to have done his research, lists sources and has footnotes, etc.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Nov 11, 2003 11:32 am 
I've never seen any of the books mentioned here (though I've glanced at the Beckey)-I just wanted to be a cautionary voice, since I've seen students write really bad papers because they used poorly researched or anecdotal sources. For all I know, all the books you guys recommended are fabulous. It just seems a little odd to be asking on a message board for recommendations for a college paper. Asking for recommendations because you are interested in a subject, sure, but there are so many resources in a college library (the online finding aids are amazing these days, and most colleges can request books, dissertations, journals, etc. from just about any other library in the county) that if he can't find enough leads there, there probably aren't enough good sources for him to do the work.

Robertcg

Robertcg
PostTue Nov 11, 2003 3:28 pm 
WOW! Thanks for all the great replies. One thing I would like to clarify is that the reason why I posted this message is because obviously everyone who replied to this knows something on the subject. Everyone here has done a little research on their own and knows where to go for good information. Just from reading around I have found a few great books. Monte Cristo, The Coffee Chased Us Up, and Discovering Washingtons Historic Mines. Even if no one here is very scholarly, the more input the better. Anyways thanks for all the help. ~Robertcg~ cool.gif