Forum Index > Trip Reports > Discovery Park photos (2)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 3:38 pm 
The wind and rain drifted me to Discovery Park this morning. There's nothing better than Discovery Park in the rain. Here are a couple of photos that capture the rapture.
discovery park, sailboat
discovery park, sailboat
Discovery trees
Discovery trees

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 5:03 pm 
It is amazing that as cool a place as North Beach is almost always deserted. When I lived in Ballard, many's the time I walked to and across the locks, up Gov't Way, into the park, then did the Wolf Tree nature trail or the loop trail, with side trips to the hill top or the beaches. Once I got back to the locks after they closed around 9 pm, and I had to walk home via the Ballard bridge. mad.gif I never made that mistake again! doh.gif Excellent photos. Have you been to Schmidts Park in the rain? After the hike, try the calamari at the Sunfish on Alki. Ask for "extra tentacles"! burger.gif Yummy!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 8:05 pm 
Slug, where's this Schmidz Park of which you speak? My favorite walk in Discovery is the Loop Trail and through the historic district. There's this huge tree there that must be hundreds of years old in front of one of those old buildings. I'd like to get into one of those buildings. What I'd really like to do, is find a way into that really big golfball thing they have there. The radar thingy. It'd be neat to get inside of that thing and slide around, and holler at the top of my lungs. Just for no reason. I like to go down to the beach where the cliffs are eroding, huge chunks of clay plopping onto the shore - then realizing with a combination of disgust, horror, pity and humor that those further to the south, the cliffs with expensive houses percariously perched on them, are of the same composition as those plopping and slumping at my feet. Platey clay, slick as snot, and waiting to plop, right along with their metal, wood, and Feed N Seed human load. I like the beach below the treatment plant. Round the lighthouse and continue walking. There's a great saltwater pond there, chock full of ducks; many different kinds of ducks, too. If you listen closely, you can hear the clicking and clinking of the sailboat masts at Shilshole.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 8:22 pm 
I've never understood why the city doesn't do a better job as caretaker of the West Point lighthouse. No tours, public access isn't the greatest (where ARE you supposed to park within a days walk of it?)- which is a shame because the lighthouse and beach area are nice. Yeah, I know the answer-$$$ but still a shame. Maybe someday ownership of the lighthouse and nearby land will be transfered to a private group like the ones who operate the Dungeness Spit lighthouse. Nice pics BTW, I need to explore more of Discovery Park. I needn't explore anymore calamari- those suckers can just keep their suckers thank you very much.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Nov 16, 2003 9:30 pm 
Schmitz Park, (spelling now correct) is located off of Admiralty Way in West Seattle. I go the scenic route, which is along Alki beach to 62nd or so, just before the Sunfish, and turn left. Go a couple of blocks, and turn left again on Admiralty. Soon after starting up the hill, you will come to a bridge over a ravine. The park entrance is just past the bridge on the right. Check out this link. This park is one of a handfull in Seattle that contain honest-to-goodness old growth forest, and the only one to still have that great old-growth feeling, in my opinion. There is a Doug Fir with an eight-foot diameter! There are several paths that make loops possible, maybe as much as two miles could be done without simply re-hiking the same trail in the same direction. The park is a ravine with steep sides, and therefore is virtually free of car noise or visible houses. It is only 1/10th the size of Discovery, but it does have its charms, including a nice creek to hike next to, and several downed trees that can be walked along. Here is a better link. This park is one of my favorites, and gets very little use for how cool it is. If you want to feel like you are in the deep woods, but are too pressed for time to go even up I-90, then this is the place for you! On a hot, sunny summer day, the contrast between the park and Alki beach is amazing.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 11:07 am 
The city doesn't own the lighthouse, at least not yet. If it does you might get your wish for visitor facilities. I haven't heard if the govn't has made a decision about this yet: Lighthouse for sale

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Nov 17, 2003 12:11 pm 
Thanks for the info, I now remember reading all that, especially the part of City of Seattle wanting to revert some historical structures in Discovery Park back to nature- great idea. down.gif I'd also want to see a private non-profit group manage the lighthouse- not the city! I'll have to look into this further. I had a chuckle reading that there is a lightkeepers association of Utah- ah yes, must have had some on the Great Salt Lake! dizzy.gif