Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Report: North Fork Snoqualmie River
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostTue Nov 25, 2003 11:03 am 
I tried out the new trailhead car on the North Fork last weekend. I car camped with a couple buddies in about a foot of snow on a spur near the large gravel pit near the Lennox Creek turn-off. The snow gets deeper pretty quickly as you gain elevation from there. I was pushing snow a foot-and-a-half deep on Sunday when we decided to turn around and go home. Gotta love Subarus! I need to find more snow so I can really test it wink.gif Anyway, it looks like it's going to be a good snow year... Stumbles accross a cool tarp trick while we were at it. Our ridge line whent right over the fire pit, so we strung two of them, attached two tarps and pulled them out so there was a 4' opening between two shed roofs of the same height. With a nice big fire it was very dry and warm. We used a carbiner joining the ridge lines on each end to adjust the tension and distance between the tarps as the ropes got wet and stretched.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Marmot

Marmot
PostTue Nov 25, 2003 11:19 am 
DJ wrote:
Stumbles accross a cool tarp trick while we were at it. Our ridge line whent right over the fire pit, so we strung two of them, attached two tarps and pulled them out so there was a 4' opening between two shed roofs of the same height. With a nice big fire it was very dry and warm. We used a carbiner joining the ridge lines on each end to adjust the tension and distance between the tarps as the ropes got wet and stretched.
Another cool tarp trick, large tarp over fire pit (drape across ridge line you already have high over the pit), and guy out the corners. Get four other tarps, biner corners together (you want the square opening smaller than the area covered by center tarp. Stake out the outside corners of the second set of tarps. Take four long poles/sticks, and stand them up holding up the binered corner junctions. Adjust tension on the the (now low) outer corners until the tension holds the poles up. You now have a large area that will be perfectly dry from all but totally sideways rain. You don't need a huge fire to keep warm and dry underneath. If i can find a pic, I'll post it. Found a pic:

Dante

Dante
PostTue Nov 25, 2003 11:42 am 
Cool smile.gif Sounds like you have already earned your "Doctor of Tarpology" wink.gif

Marmot

Marmot
PostTue Nov 25, 2003 11:48 am 
DJ wrote:
Cool smile.gif Sounds like you have already earned your "Doctor of Tarpology" wink.gif
LOL...I've had a good teacher...the man in yellow in the pic. His setup, I defer to him! The site will allow a remote link, so I've linked it here so you don't have to click out of the site to see.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Nov 25, 2003 11:54 am 
Assuming we could have attached another ridge line higher up our trees, we could have used an upper tarp like that. I'll have to keep that in mind.