Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake 22 - 12-08-03 Now with pictures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 9:42 pm 
My friend Craig and I decided to hike to Lake 22 today with my dog Daisy. We got to the trailhead at 9:45 and were hiking by 10. This trail is great right from the start. There are many big trees and lots of moss right in the parking area. The streams were running pretty high, and there was plenty of water crossing the trail. We stopped at the bridge 1/2 mile in to remove some clothing and take some pictures. We went off trail at each of the 5 or so places to view waterfalls. There are at least 10 great falls, or maybe 20 depending on how you count them. We took many pictures, and took our time and really explored. There was no snow at all until the big clearing, and then only a compacted inch on the trail. There were some nice views across the valley to a couple of peaks over there, maybe Kyes or Monte Cristo. After the clearing, the snow deepened, but was still easily navigated with just boots. At the lake, there was about three feet of snow, but all compacted on the trail, so no snowshoes needed, not even gaitors, according to Craig. I wore them, and was happy since I post-holed about 8 inches down a couple of times, enough to have gotten snow in my boots without the gaitors. It took us four hours, yes four, to reach the lake due to our waterfall detours. We hung out at the lake for 1 1/2 hours, playing fetch with Daisy in the snow (her favorite) and exploring a little. The cliffs around the lake were especially scenic all dressed in fresh snow. We left at 3:30, and made it back in 1 1/2 hours, needing flashlights for the last 15 minutes only. Great sunset from the clearing on the return. All in all, a wonderful seven hours in a pristine place. We went about five miles total, with 1,300 VF gain. Pictures in an hour or so.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 10:01 pm 
Awesome! Glad you had a good time up.gif Depending on your pictures, I might consider to do it this Thursday, but the deep snow kind of worries me. I don't have boots.

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 11:45 pm 
Great pictures! I'll seriously consider Lake 22 now if only for the waterfalls. The hikes that I've been on never really required boots, but I'll seriously consider some in the future. I'm compiling a list of hikes that I'd like to do come this spring and summer, so boots will come in handy. Thanks for the pictures and report!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 9:16 am 
Slugman wrote:
We stopped at the bridge 1/2 mile in to remove some clothing
I hate it when people leave their clothing on that bridge!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 12:57 pm 
I think the hike up to 22 is quite pretty, but the lake itself is pretty dumb. I'd like to see that lake replaced with a more scenic one. Heather Lake is pretty, but the hike is dumb. Maybe they could swap them, they are right next door to one another.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 1:42 pm 
I once read a wta trip report about how Heather lake is much nicer than Lk 22. I don't get it. They are almost identical. Small lakes surrounded by cliffs. Besides, the 22 hike is all about the great waterfalls and the death-defying efforts to get unobstructed pictures of them. Seriouly, though, I can't think of another lake below 2,500 ft that is as good as Lk 22. It is a perfect winter hike, since the trailhead is right on the Mtn Loop hwy, which is plowed all winter past that point. This is the Lynnwood equivalent of the I-90 corridor for Seattleites. Travel time for me is just under one hour, maybe only 45 minutes for those who consider speed limits as mere suggestions. 80 miles round trip included swinging through Everett twice to pick up/drop off Craig. This hike wins my award for nicest parking lot in the area. It is the only true-wilderness-feeling parking lot I can think of. Craig and I have sworn an oath to finally do what we have wanted to do for years: go there on a hot day in August and swim in the many cool pools along 22 creek. I can't wait for next summer so that I can also get to Bathtub lakes and look down on Lk 22 from the top of the tall cliffs. Hurry up snowmelt! (Nothing like jumping the gun!) lol.gif

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 3:40 pm 
Nice pics, you reminded me I had another disposable camera stuffed in my backpack from a trip up there last summer. I'll have to get the shots developed and see if they are any good. I think the name of the mountain you were trying to figure out is Liberty Mtn. You can also see the top of Three Fingers poking it's head above the ridgeline from certain vantage points up there just to the left of Liberty.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 3:46 pm 
Ah, the famous disposable shots. Cool. Liberty, I'll have to look for that one on the maps. I did see the peekaboo peak to the left, didn't know it was 3 fingers. PS&A, are you coming to the social this Thurs at Northlake?

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 3:47 pm 
Buthtab Lakes are haunted and they suck. Don't waste your time up there. down.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 3:51 pm 
I'll avoid 'em like the plague. It is hardly worth reversing the name, since it's almost the same either way. Are there any palindrome lakes? And I don't mean "Lake Palindrome".

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 3:58 pm 
I like Buthtab better than the other way around. Still I wouldn't go there. I still think Rehtaeh is a lot better than 22, which is the same sdrawtnorf as it is sdrawkcab.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 4:12 pm 
haven't been to the s'buthtab and not sure if I will anytime soon, I've seen them in pictures and I think there are better places to go for the effort. I'm going to try to make it to the social, but I don't get off work till at least 6PM and any way I get there is going to be long and full of traffic.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 4:15 pm 
Ps & A: Yes, those lakes are very, very hard to get to. And so not worth the effort. Don't worry if you are a little late to the Social, people come and go generally from 7 until at least 10, if not 11.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 4:25 pm 
I've been to Pinnacle lake, and the scramble to Sbuthtab didn't seem too hard. I was planning on visiting them by hiking to Pinnacle, scramble to Buthtab, then on up to Mt Pilchuck lookout, spend the night, and reverse. That way the buthtab lakes would be just one reason for the trip.

Andrew

Andrew
PostThu Dec 11, 2003 7:02 pm 
Well! Today my friend and I did the Lake 22 hike, thanks to your trip report, Slugman wink.gif I thought it was a wonderful hike! After about the tenth waterfall, my friend and I started saying, "Ohhhh no, not another one biggrin.gif Anyways, it was very cloudy and very rainy the whole way through. The only time we saw blue sky was for a few brief moments on our way back through the clearing. We didn't get to see the mountains on the otherside of the valley (looking NE fromt the clearing), unfortunately. We didn't get to see the tops of the mountains across the lake waah.gif Despite my complete lack of sufficient equipment like a waterproof jacket, waterproof boots (my feet were soaked), an umbrella, and gloves, I consider it one of the best hikes I've been on in the last few months. When I get my pictures developed, I'll post them here. Thanks again, Slugman, I enjoyed it thoroughly! cool.gif