Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Good news on the Middle Fork decision?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 11:29 am 
MY RESPONSE IS IN THERE!!!!! REALLY! GUESS WHICH ONE!!!!

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 5:53 pm 
Quote:
What a load of BS. I'd like to know what "opponents" claimed a gate at Dingford "would prevent access to the upper Middle Fork by the elderly, disabled, and families with small children".
This argument comes up all the time in situations relating to wilderness access. I've heard it used by 4 wheel drive enthusiasts as well as groups that push for increased development in National Parks.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 7:05 pm 
The disabled? The elderly? You can't be serious. What is this, the AARP chapter of the ORV lobby? lol.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 8:14 pm 
Every year the California 4wheel drive association takes disabled people on a Rubicon 4x4 trail run. This run is advertised in many offroad magazines and is a very popular and avent. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 8:38 pm 
I'm envisioning the Beverly Hillbillies intro here with granny in the back of the vehicle in the rocking chair. embarassedlaugh.gif Music

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 8:49 pm 
Yeah, man. Point me to Hester Lake!
steelwheel
steelwheel

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 9:13 pm 
Ok, the middle fork road is not actually where I would take my quadraplegic cousin to see the woods. There are nicer places requiring 4 wheel drive. And I gotta say, my 85 year old grandpa isn't exactly champing at the bit to drive down a really rough road. That argument really doesn't make sense for that particular road. It might make sense other roads, but not the middle fork.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
touron

touron
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 9:46 pm 
The argument doesn't make alot of sense, but its hard to deny its logic. lol.gif lol.gif I still think we should stake a mine claim. With 700 members each individual only has to shoulder a pick maybe once every 10 years. With all the gold we find we can buy that small cabin at Monte Cristo and the other larger one on the Middle Fork. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 12:37 am 
Hey, this same outrageous argument was recently used in a letter to the editor of the Times argueing against the creation of the Wild Sky Wilderness. Typical of an ultra-right crackpot, the writer claimed the wilderness backers were anti-old people, anti-handicapped, elitist pinkos. When are the good people of this state and this country going to throw off the yoke of neo-con tyranny, stupidity and arrogance and return this great nation to its core values of decency and respect? Next election, I hope!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 1:19 am 
Quote:
Typical of an ultra-right crackpot
Listen to you. Is there a MORE biased person here? For Gods sakes, we have ENOUGH wilderness areas! This state is full of places people can WALK without trouble from machines or bicycles or any other perceived environmentalist WACKO problem.. What we DONT DONT DONT DONT DONT DONT have are places that motorcycles, 4x4's and other very POPULAR recreational vehicles can enjoy there sport. Let's see, when last I checked these people pay taxes, and are JUST as valuable, and justified in their interests as YOU are! Come on, if this isnt your typical lefty crap I dont know what is. The left PREACHES tolerance and ACCEPTANCE all the while SHUTTING OUT ALL THOSE PEOPLE WHOSE OPINIONS AND interests they dont accept or agree with. Screw the Wild Sky Wilderness area. It's going to KILL ORV and other outdoor interests for people that have little to NO other place to go! Where as all you environmental extremists have MULTIPLE places to go! Tolerance my ass! Your HATE is just as evident as ANY that the right preaches, it's just different that's all. Tom B.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
-lol-

-lol-
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 7:55 am 

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 9:54 am 
BPJ, that's nonsense. Wilderness is a tiny fraction our country, and last I checked, old people etc can still ride horses. No one is being shut out. I thought you were argueing lately about not paving roads, etc. So I guess wilderness that is accessible to you is enough. Why do make false claims of phony "bias"against anyone who doesn't agree with you? I notice also that you claim I am just as"evil" as a right-winger! Glad you admit that your side is full of hate! Up with wildsky, down with chickenhawks! (Not you, Joe).

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 10:21 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Listen to you. Is there a MORE biased person here?
winksmile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 10:22 am 
How about some levity after that last exchange. Peace, goodwill and civility should prevail during the holiday period, messrs Slugman and BPJ. Starjumper and I went up to the middle fork of the snoqualmie on Tuesday and certainly picked a rainy and misty day, a good day to test your rain gear and take mist and cloud pictures. W chose a trail not too far down the MF road and took off to the left, West? A lot of new construction on that trail, bridges and grated with gravel and graded for the gentleman hiker. It did intersect an old road, the CCC road ?, a couple of times and ended at a dirt road. I'm confident one here knows the name of this trail and perhaps the need for a cadillac trail at this location. Is this a trail to be used when and if the road is blocked ?

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 10:24 am 
Arguments about wilderness and the MidFork road almost always seem to come down to human human access, on this board. Wilderness is not about recreation. I know people who cannot hike who still favor closing the road and creating Wild Sky. They are not trying to carve a hiking place out for themselves as elitist hikers. They can't hike. They love the wilderness and believe it should be protected. That's what seems to be so easily forgotten.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch