Forum Index > Photography Talk > The ongoing speculation of...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Dec 14, 2003 11:26 pm 
Would Ansel Adams go digital? The Nikon rep in a shocker says if he did he'd use a Nikon! doh.gif Maybe somebody with faster than my 56k dialup can watch the movie link to an Apple store opening in Tokyo (after the article) and see if it's worth watching- it was too slooooow-loading for me. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon Dec 15, 2003 9:08 am 
I've watched the Apple video. It is interesting but only if you have a highspeed connection. You get the drift when they cross the first or second street and look down at the bar and realize it is only about 1/4 through the video. Apple fans will love it. It is amazing to see the patience of the customers waiting in the queue but no big shocker at the end. Personally, I think Ansel would have done some experimenting with digital but I don't think he would have switched. Digital doesn't has the amount of detail that he would have wanted. Yet.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 15, 2003 9:42 am 
No way Adams was part of the f64 school of photography. He believed in long exposures at small apatures to get extreme depth of field. He also used large format cameras like 8x10 Linhoffs on tripods. The resolution is still outside the possibility of digital. He spent a lot of time on printing and so might of liked the convenience of digital but he also preferred to use silver. He was not the sort of person who liked to hurry, perfection was more important.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 15, 2003 2:47 pm 
IF Adams decided to shoot digital, I really doubt he'd shoot with a Nikon. Something like a Mamiya or Contax 645 with a 16mp Kodak DCS Pro Back 645 would probably suit his high-res needs a lot better. http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/kodak-dcs.shtml - Scroll about 3/4 of the way down the page and read about the picture of the Boat. Don't try loading it up unless you've got broadband. http://luminous-landscape.com/locations/rockies.shtml