Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Fork Sauk-Lost Creek Ridge hike, road report for Suiattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 6:53 pm 
Three Fingers
Skugman, Harold Engles gave this photo to me of Three Fingers back in the 1970s. Photographer unknown, but this is a great shot of Three Fingers. I wish I had taken it!! Karen
Three Fingers photographer unknown
Three Fingers photographer unknown

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 8:29 pm 
...And Slugman, at Three Fingers they already did the laddering for you!

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 8:32 pm 
Karen: Wow! But where are the infamous ladders? What a perfect shot for this thread, if only the ladders were showing! lol.gif BPJ: The vest is new, mainly for walking on the leash around Lynnwood. It just seemed to me that it would act as a partial raincoat for Daisy. I didn't want to make her carry her usual pack, since she went to the vet on Friday and had an alergic reaction to her 6-month heartworm shot. We are giving her a steriod-based medicine to help her get better, and it makes her slightly lethargic. The vet said she could still hike, but that we should take it easy. Being that I'm so slow, that's not a problem. Hey, I'll bet your rig could make the two or three extra miles to the N Fk Sauk trailhead. What are you doing this Sunday? lol.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 10:37 pm 
Hey Slugman, the vest looks great on her. I actually have used mine on my pooch a lot except for high-summer when it was so hot in NE Washington. And of course she wears it all the time from October-January in the basin steppe lands when gamebird hunting is happening, even if she is only 6' away from me on leash. Now when see shes it oh boy, I'd better be ready to get in the rig and go SOMEWHERE! smile.gif You and I need to enjoy a day out together next year. At least by then my almost two-year old border collie will be only 99/100th as energenic as she is now.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 10:46 pm 
Why wait till next year? I'm trying to get Joe to bring me up to the N Fk Sauk this Sunday. I'm sure he won't mind another person and a dog or three, right, Joe? lol.gif lol.gif I'm paying for gas and beer! Anyone need to borrow extra snowshoes? wink.gif

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 10:59 pm 
I'll grab a neighbor dog or six too and make it really interesting! Hey...dogsled up in there! OK OK....while it does sound perfect, I have to stick to my "next year" thing probably. Tomorrow I'm out there...but after that and with both kids out for their 2 week holiday break it'll be harder to run away to play and let alone get my photography work done on time. Seems the family already has plans 3x deep on virtually every day so when it's over they can all say "oh man, it didn't seem like we got anything done!". dizzy.gif It all starts this Sunday....so I can't join you like I'd like to. But January....and maybe I can even stir up your interest to get you and Daisy to help me round up more Bighorn Sheep somewhere north or south of Ellensburg!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 11:12 pm 
We're there, dude! And the dogsled idea, pure genius! Just think, the dogs could carry the ladder! lol.gif

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Dec 24, 2003 10:18 am 
Here is a 1987 ladder shot for the Slug Man......
3FngrsLdr1
3FngrsLdr1

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Dec 24, 2003 10:27 am 
....and here we back off a bit for context.
3FngrsLdrs
3FngrsLdrs

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 12:27 am 
Great shots, lopper. Thanks. I knew there were ladders there, but I've never seen them 'till now.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 9:21 am 
Nice shots of the ladders. I have been there twice and for some unknown reason I didn't take any ladder photos.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 2:39 pm 
Here is one more shot, showing the TF Lookout from its most approachable side. It is from 10 years earlier. June of 1977. Before the refurb and repaint. The ladders were real old and in sad shape on this trip.
June77ThreeFngr
June77ThreeFngr

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 4:22 pm 
I'd have to rank 3 Fingers as one of the disappointments of the year. Good workout, good company, but the lookout is mobbed and the smell of pee permeates everywhere. Views are decent and the creaky ladders are fun, but neither live up to the hype IMO. Take away the stench and the crowds and it's worth a visit - just not on a weekend. Here's a shot taken laying on ground holding the camera over the east face looking 4500' down (trying not to pass out from the smell).

touron

touron
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 5:57 pm 
Tom, what time of year were you there? p.s. next time take a few of these.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 5:58 pm 
Alas, the curse of overpopularity (and no Sanikan) My memories of 3F lookout are all 15+ years old and pee-aroma-free. I don't foresee going back. So many mountains, so little time. It was great adventure in its day, though. On our '77 visit, we had to start the climb at Canyon Creek. A straightforward bushwhack up the Sevenmile Creek spur to a deserted Goat Flats. (The Tupso Pass Road was out). (yay). There were a bunch of skimpy ladder rungs and several missing. Didn't see any other hikers or tracks the whole day.