Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Fork Sauk-Lost Creek Ridge hike, road report for Suiattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Odonata

Odonata
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 9:53 pm 
So, are people peeing on the structure, or do you think guys are aiming over the edge and somehow missing. confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 25, 2003 11:30 pm 
The lookout is perched on dynamited summit block - there is flat rock extending around the lookout. I doubt many people venture near "the edge" in the middle of the night (unless they're looking for a darwin award). It all adds up. shakehead.gif

PostFri Dec 26, 2003 7:55 pm 
Tom wrote:
I'd have to rank 3 Fingers as one of the disappointments of the year. Views are decent and the creaky ladders are fun, but neither live up to the hype IMO. Take away the stench and the crowds and it's worth a visit - just not on a weekend.
Interesting take on such a magnificent place. Didn't live up to its hype? Like a movie? Weird. Never thought of mountains having 'hype'.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Dec 26, 2003 8:08 pm 
Quote:
Views are decent and the creaky ladders are fun
So what's the word on the ladders? Someone told me once that if you fell of one of the ladders you were essentially a goner. Is this true? How comfortable is the ladder climb?

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Dec 26, 2003 8:09 pm 
Funny, I just posted on this as being one of my "destination spots" for this year. Do I go or do I spend my precious free time tackling another peak? Someone I met on a hike recently suggested that it was his favorite peak in the region, but if it's going to be be over-crowded and full of urinating individuals I might look at other peaks.

polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Dec 26, 2003 8:34 pm 
Everyone I've talked to has rave reviews on 3-fingers. The birdseye photos people have posted make me want to go there. This is the first I've heard about the smell, but maybe it depends on how strong of a breeze there is at the top.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Dec 26, 2003 9:37 pm 
I think that those "rave reviews" are the hype that Tom is referring to. There is no doubt that 3F lookout is a spectacular place. I just wish everyone the good fortune of being there when it's not overrun with people. The mice are bad enough.
kresek
kresek

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Dec 26, 2003 11:32 pm 
It could be this summer was an anomaly. With the road washed out the previous year and a low snow year making the summit attainable in tennies by late summer it could have drawn excess crowds. The lack of rain may have contributed to the aroma, but something tells me a lookout with no restrictions on overnight use other than the number of people who can squeeze inside will suffer this fate. Polarbear, there are 3 ladders. The first two didn't seem any scarier than climbing a ladder at home. The third ladder is scarier if you don't like heights. It's also a little trickier coming down than it is going up. Otherwise no big deal. Obviously a different story when icy or wet, or if the ladders need repair. Here's Rialtosol at the top of the second ladder:
Peppersteak, if you want to bag a popular summit, get a good workout, and don't mind crowds, put 3 Fingers on your list for a weekend (otherwise save it for a weekday). For the same effort on a weekend, I think I'd prefer basking in solitude atop i.e. Columbia Peak (guessing, never been there), gazing down upon Blanca and Twin Lakes...
Closed for painting wrote:
Didn't live up to its hype? Like a movie?
Like the Cougs in a big game. Here's hoping they win one for ya. winksmile.gif

PostSat Dec 27, 2003 12:05 am 
lopper wrote:
I think that those "rave reviews" are the hype that Tom is referring to. There is no doubt that 3F lookout is a spectacular place. I just wish everyone the good fortune of being there when it's not overrun with people. The mice are bad enough.
I see your point about Kresek's cover photo. Clearly not much to rave about.

PostSat Dec 27, 2003 12:11 am 
Tommy wrote
Quote:
Like the Cougs in a big game. Here's hoping they win one for ya.
and you wonder why some of the wankers didn't want to go to Silver Lake with you. lol.gif

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat Dec 27, 2003 12:15 am 
Yes, I'll agree that Columbia Pk is a superior choice. But, FYI, at the summit, your view of Blanca is blocked by the massive N-S trending ridge that you sit upon. The Twin Lakes aren't able to hide, though.
Columbia
Columbia

PostSat Dec 27, 2003 12:17 am 
Tom wrote
Quote:
If you want to bag a popular summit, get a good workout, and don't mind crowds, put 3 Fingers on your list for a weekend. For the same effort, I think I'd prefer basking in solitude atop i.e. Columbia Peak (guessing, never been there), gazing down upon Blanca and Twin Lakes...
rather than analyze one place over another - how about do as much as you can and enjoy each place and trip for what it has to offer. Better yet, read Karen's auto signature.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Dec 27, 2003 12:37 am 
Somebody must not have gotten what they wanted for Christmas. embarassedlaugh.gif I did enjoy the trip. Just saying it would have been more enjoyable on a weekday after a heavy rain and if expectations hadn't been as hyped. BTW, if you want to reduce the size of your pics, lower the jpeg quality (not necessarily the dimensions).

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Dec 27, 2003 7:44 am 
Just go. Then you know first hand. If you don't, you may regret it. That in it's self can eat a hole in your soul that can never be filled. You will never be happy. Your life will be unfulfilled. You will feel empty and ashamed. Essentially, you will come up short in life. Besides, if it's bad now, it will just get worse over time. Go. Go while you have the chance. N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Stefan

Stefan
PostSat Dec 27, 2003 1:51 pm 
lopper wrote:
You see that "wall" on the left of the picture? I rappelled off of that to get to do the middle finger about 10 years ago.

Art is an adventure.