Forum Index > Trip Reports > Third Beach w/ photos
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 8:45 pm 
Spent the night w/ freinds in Sequim Friday and met Damian at Third Beach Saturday. The recent storms left the trail unscathed, but the profile of Third Beach is a little different: the campsite there may not be there much longer. About 5 vertical feet of beach washed away, leaving a 5 foot tall "cliff" upon which the rest of the world, including the campsite, sits. Unfortunately, the least path of resistance for the creek is creating an undercut of the bank where the campsite is, and it's helping to eat at the site. The waves were splashing against the "cliff" this morning at high tide. Most folks camp further south anyway, during backpacking season - but this is a good site for winter storm watching. Damian gave me a spare mess kit, fed me and made a good beach fire for us. It's a good thing he was there - I'd've died there alone, 'cause I forgot everything except useless stuff like a headlamp with dead batteries and a thermarest with holes in it. And my "Julius Caesar" book that I couldn't read 'cause of the dead headlamp. I packed and left town in a hurry. In honor of the orange alert issued by the fed, I have attached photos of orange logs on the beach. Stark contrast against the dark, wet sand! These photos are UN-RETOUCHED! I know you won't believe it, but I'm tellin' you these logs are really ORANGE! I really got a bang out those orange logs, and took about 90 thousand orange log photos.
The Wowie! Orange Log near Wowie! root-ball
The Wowie! Orange Log near Wowie! root-ball
Close up of Wowie! Orange Log
Close up of Wowie! Orange Log
Orange stick, red chip, and stones2
Orange stick, red chip, and stones2

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 9:47 pm 
Looks like a Madrona log? Those are naturally that color smile.gif They grow all over Whidbey Island (ie. Madrona Way along Penn Cove)

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:13 pm 
Yes they are madrone....and they are orange...but it takes some special light and dampness to them to create quite THAT impressive reflective color to capture---good score Quark!!

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:24 pm 
Damian said they're alder trees. The mottled bark remains on some of 'em look alder-like, not slick like a madrona sans bark. There are lots of alders giving up the ghost along the beaches. Attached is a photo of 3 elegant lady alders gently stepping off the land mass and onto the beach. Note orange logs laying on the beach. There are massive chunks of land slumping off the cliffs there.
ladies headed to the beach
ladies headed to the beach

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:28 pm 
OK so Alan, are you sure? (I can't believe I'm asking Alan L. Bauer if he's sure). When I put a cross-cut saw into an alder, they're bright orange inside. Madrona seems more red and slick. Sheesh, now I suppose I have to go back to verify. I don't recall seeing madrona's there - course they could wash up from elsewhere.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:34 pm 
I suppose that could be the case about alders, but I have never seen alder weather to remain that color--it always weathered up like a gray brown blob color. Of course, I have no idea if some strange stand of mahagony or something might be washed up there...or 20 yr old cherry....or or or. But I'd also bet that old dead madrone looks different slightly than the fresh live madrone that we see standing, and even that can look more orange in the right light than redish.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:35 pm 
Ah, I see in that other photo now---I bet for certain they are alders then. No way that many logs could be lying around and have them all be madrone. Cool logs no matter how you call them!! up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:48 pm 
I've seen grey blobs of alder in the woods weathered by rain, but didn't know how the salt would have affected 'em. I had sorta put myself in their shoes & imagined how I'd look if I soaked in a vat of brine awhile, and figure I'd sorta look long and orange, too. Plus Damain suggested it and he was at least smart enough to bring food on the trip, so who am I to argue? I'll bring a log back next time I'm there, and we'll verify it.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 10:54 pm 
One more photo to show they're strewn all over the place. Unfortunately, its a fuzzier photo & would have been the best one...
more logs
more logs

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Dec 21, 2003 11:02 pm 
I'm sure they are alder too----but what bothers me more about this entire situation is that you were lucky enough to be out there in December and have that sunshine? My goodness, did you buy a lotto ticket too!!!? I know you like storms out there...but you gotta love that weather you appear to have enjoyed. Now that bothers me. If it were I, the earth would have split in thirds creating a 500' tidal wave to ruin my stay.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Dec 22, 2003 9:12 am 
Damian had wonderfully miserable weather Friday when he got there. It was so bad he was tempted to pitch camp in the trail - it was the only spot he could see - there was only a wall of rain 3 feet beyond that. I was jealous. I have to admit it. I was ready for a storm (one doesn't need food and a headlamp for a storm). The Orange Alert logs glow in the dull light. They have their own light in them. But alas: it was only showers mixed with sun on Saturday and sunshine on Sunday. Better luck next time, hey?

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostMon Dec 22, 2003 10:25 am 
Quark wrote:
In honor of the orange alert issued by the fed, I have attached photos
Watch it, Quark. You may be inadvertently channelling secret government information. One can't be too careful these days.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Dec 22, 2003 10:51 am 
Good point, Dogpatch. I'll be sure not to mention the address of the Whitehouse on this site, either. Wouldn't want "them" to find out where it is!

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Dec 23, 2003 11:54 am 
Too late, Cheney was seen hobnobbing in Bellevois yesterday- screwing up traffic already screwed up by holiday shoppers- apparently he left his bunker for awhile to rally the troops and raise cash to defeat Murray. I think it was him anyway.... one never knows.... smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Dec 24, 2003 9:58 am 
Yes sir, it WAS Mr. Vice President alright. I was there within the PRO U.S. crowd raising banners and flags. While I was there we out numbered the BAD people by at least 5 to 1. Down with the dumbest person in the senate. Those aren't my words. I sat next to a page while flying from Seattle to Virginia two years ago. She told me that was what they called Murray. She's outa here. TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln