Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Trapper Joe Sleeping Bag - Ome Daiber's Hike Shack
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 10:35 pm 
oMe's HIKE SHACK 111 Seneca St. Seattle, Wa. phone: ELiot 4457 (Ome Daiber's place) Trapper Joe Sleeping Bag sale (April only) $9.95 "lots of new features - all wool. 8 oz. Army duck, weatherproof tapered foot, all weather adjustable head, weight 7 3/4 lbs." (as advertised in The Northwest Sportsman Magazine produced by Ken McLeod - April issue 1933) See info about magazine at: http://www.alpinequest.com/northwestsportsman.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostTue Dec 30, 2003 10:56 pm 
Ken, Neat old piece. Interesting to see the old six digit phone number.

salish

salish
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 11:18 am 
McPil - as usual, a wonderful post. I think I may have read about the Hike Shack in Cascade Voices. Hey, maybe you should try your own hand at a outdoors radio show - give it a go. My first telephone numbers were PArkway 35607, and the EMerson 45426. We're getting old.....smile.gif Cliff "The Northwest Sportsman--On The Air" (KXA Seattle Radio) was featured Tuesday evenings from 6:45-7:45 PM in 1933.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 12:12 pm 
Cliff, I had TRinity 8-2571 for my first 18 years. You're not that old as your numbers had 7 digits and not 6.

salish

salish
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 12:44 pm 
JimK wrote:
Cliff, I had TRinity 8-2571 for my first 18 years. You're not that old as your numbers had 7 digits and not 6.
Jim, let me guess - were you down in the Des Moines area near Highline College? My cuz lived just down the hill on 16th So. and his number was TR 8-2976 (long gone). Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 1:29 pm 
I believe the way phone numbers progressed were; 3 digit number that expanded to 4 digit since 3 digits only get you 1000 different lines (party lines were big in the early days where multiple families shared the same number with special ring patterns to let you know who the call was for). Later when there were too many numbers (more then 9999) they added the central office location using a 2 letter ID then with an added number to increase the number of available phone numbers. When I was a kid our number was GL3-3521 (GL=Glencourt). Later the letters were dropped because phone companies were able to assign the prefixes in multiple central offices so they just used the number. As time went on Areacodes were added to increase the capacity and so on and so on..... Hope this makes sense... I entered the phone business in 1988 so it was long after these changes, but I've been involved in all the crazy stuff that has occured since.....I now work with wireless.

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 2:10 pm 
Cliff, I lived between Burien and Des Moines. My friends were mostly CHerry and TAylor prefixes. Here is a blast from the past via Google: Compiled from various posters: 62: MAin, downtown. 63: MElrose, Wallingford. 93: WEst, West Seattle 32: EAst, Capitol Hill 76: ROckwell, Southwest Seattle. 78: SUnset, Ballard, Crown Hill, Greenwood 63: EMerson, Shoreline, Lake Forest Park 52: LAkeview, near Green Lake, University District 22: BAker (I'm not sure which area this covers) 28: ATwater, Queen Anne, Magnolia 45: GLencourt, Bellevue 74: SHerwood, Eastside 77: SPruce, Skyway Park To which I add: 77: also PRospect, South Snohomish County (PR6, PR8) 24: CHerry, Tukwila, Sea-Tac Airport 87: TRinity, Da Moynz 82: TAylor, South End 54: LIncoln, Richmond Beach 94: WHitney, Point Roberts (okay, too esoteric) 68: MUtual, Seattle

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 6:49 pm 
and from Everett: 25: ALpine Everett/Lake Stevens: 33: EDgewood (I believe) N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 8:11 pm 
Wow, that's quite a list!

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 8:43 pm 
Hey, is anyone old enough and Ballard enough to remember this TV ad jingle from the sixties? Now with a rap of a hammer For just a little bit more Washington Builders Will make that old place look Like it never did before. Washington Builders... Call SUnset 3-2404

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
salish

salish
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 8:48 pm 
"Now with a rap with the hammer (dah-dah-dah-tah) for just a little bit more"? Oh yeah.....

JimK

JimK
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 9:21 pm 
I don''t remember Washington Builders but I sure do remember the first part of that jingle.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jan 02, 2004 12:42 am 
Newt wrote:
and from Everett: 25: ALpine Everett/Lake Stevens: 33: EDgewood (I believe) N
And the Edgewood down by Puyallup: WAverly7-7237 That was a long time ago. I was 5,6, and 7 when we lived at 7012 North Meridian. Now then why can't I remember where I put my keys? dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Jan 02, 2004 8:08 am 
FAirfax 8-1521 For every heating problem Be your furnace old or new Just call the Boyle Fuel Company And we'll solve them all for you If you need coal or oil Calllll Boyle... FAirfax 8-1521 Yikes. It's skeery how a jingle from your childhood can get permanently etched in your brain. That catchy tune was from a Spokane company in the 60's. bricks.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
touron

touron
PostFri Jan 02, 2004 5:35 pm 
Nice picture of Snow Lake on the cover of McPilchuck's magazine link. The making of an ad that some here might remember.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.