Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowshoeing FS9030 (I-90)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 5:36 pm 
Synchro, Ford and me headed up to snowshoe on 9030. I had been up there on monday with Ford, and wanted to do more of it. We ended up driving up to the last switchback before the Talapus TH. We turned around and headed down maybe a 1/2 mile and parked. Got our snowshoes on and headed up. We were passed by a Toyota pickup-when we got to the switchback, the pickup was stuck in the snow. We kept going and headed up to the TH and on. The snow is very nice after the last dump of it. Toodled around then headed back as the sky started getting blacker-and the snow started falling. When we got back to the pickup, they were still stuck bad. So we went down to the truck-Synchro and Ford headed back up to winch them out, I grabbed some cold pizza and headed down to the bottom. EVENTUALLY my boyfriend got his butt down to the bottom lol.gif He was having too much fun playing in the snow. I got a nice long workout. Snow was dumping as we drove away. A nice day and a nice start to the year!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 5:41 pm 
What did the prospects look like for getting all the way to Talapus? Any chance of actually following the summer trail, or was it cross-country route-finding? Thanks IA. PS- thanks for the truck picture. I believe even my low Subaru could make that snow level easily.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 5:49 pm 
The trail to Talapus Lake was actually very smooth and well traveled-no XC needed. The truck photo was more for BPJ wink.gif Not to show the snow levels. The problem with the guy who got stuck is he went off the packed snow and went into the soft snow-at the switchback it was very deep-and fluffy. Going up to the TH parking lot, it was VERY deep. The othe rproblem was how icy the road was-I watched numerous vehicles (Subuara's included) were sledding down the road-all 4 wheels locked.

Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 6:16 pm 
Almost went up there today myself after your suggestion yesterday(for my dog and me). Went up the Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Road instead, found that to be pretty dang slick too, even in my 4x4.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 6:42 pm 
That truck is stuck? I must be missing something. N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 6:52 pm 
No, another guy got stuck up above, and my boyfriend got him winched out. That was a shot of my sweetie's truck (which is for BPJ....manly trucks and all!)

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jan 01, 2004 7:04 pm 
Thanks for clearing that up. I was getting worried. N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
pianodirt

pianodirt
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 6:42 pm 
After reading your report, Sarbar, I went up FR9030 yesterday. In all these years, I've never been up there! I parked about 1/4mi from the end of the road at the only area that looked decent enough to try to turn around. I was up there alone and didn't want to get stuck, even in my Soob. I got a late start and was about 300ft elevation from Talapus before I had to turn around. Coming down in the dark would have been fine, but I thought I had dropped a piece of gear along the way and hoped to find it on the way back, but no. Great place to go that is so close to home for some snowshoeing.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 6:46 pm 
Sounds like you made it to the switchback where there is room for 2-3 cars smile.gif The view from the parking lot is nice! I was happy I got to snowshoe down from the top-I jogged it basically, it was a fun run! I actually had the thought that skis would be fun on that road! I am happy to hear you got up there smile.gif BTW, we are planning a trip on sunday to snowshoe with some of the PNWH on I-90. We love to have any and anybody join us-and dogs are welcome smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 7:18 pm 
Hey, that Syncro is no small dude! Tell him to get rid of that bloody indipendant front suspension would ya! winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 7:20 pm 
lol.gif Yeah, I like my men manly wink.gif He is 6'4" and uses 1036's to snowshoe on.