Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fortson Mill Pond & RR Grade - Darrington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jan 02, 2004 7:30 pm 
The RR grade that runs parallel 530 near Darrington is a nice little winter snow stroll. We picked up the grade near MP 41 (the French Cr road to the Boulder Rv trail). Fortson Mill Pond at one time was a holding tank for logs dropped off by the railroad to await processing at the Fortson Mill. It is now a salmon spawning-and-dying pond. The creek was teeming and boiling with big, bright red salmon yesterday. It's a great place to take the younguns to see nature at her best. There were many dead ones too, providing feed for many birds. Life and death. Further on, toward Darrington is another set of natural ponds. On clear days there's an unobstructed view of Whitehorse Mountain here. Yesterday, the pond had a thin skin of ice on it, interrupted by confused skittered animal paw prints that eventually terminated in a bloody mess in the snow on the opposite bank. Our guess is that the eagles that hang around there had a good hunt and a meal. Nature's terrible beauty at work on this silent winter pond. This is a great stroll to see the salmon at work.
RR Grade pond, cattails & Whitehorse
RR Grade pond, cattails & Whitehorse

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 8:13 pm 
Fond memories of these ponds...use to fish them when a kid many years ago. Enjoyed reading your report. McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 8:28 pm 
I've spent some time up there, too. It's a beautiful place. I love tracking four-leggeds in the snow.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 12:33 am 
"All things share the same breath-the beast, the tree, the man ...the air shares its spirit with all the life it supports." -- Chief Seattle Salish, I can surely relate to this. Good words! McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com