Forum Index > Trail Talk > Publication:  Big Four Ice Caves
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
REJ

REJ
PostSun May 05, 2002 9:44 am 
I just found a publication by Harry M. Majors at the Everett Library. The title is Big Four Ice Caves dated 1998 published by Northwest Press. The publication describes the history of the Big Four Resort and Caves trail. I would like to get a copy. I searched goggle.com, Amazon.com and abebooks.com with no luck. It is not at my local Barnes and Noble or the Mountaineers bookstore. Any suggestions or leads would be appreciated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun May 05, 2002 11:17 am 
Usually if you go to any book store, if they do not have it in stock, they will order it for you. You just have to ask if they can order it. If you find out you can get on let me know i would like to have one, too. I think they can get it if you have the Title and author.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 05, 2002 11:25 am 
Being a fairly recent book it's possible the ranger station may have it. I get the feeling you're in the Everett area so you may try giving them a call. I called about a book once and they held the last one until I got up there to pick it up. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun May 05, 2002 1:03 pm 
I wonder if you could call Northwest Press and ask if they could tell you who were distributors for that particular book?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 05, 2002 2:06 pm 
Did NW Press go belly up or was aquired by another? Man, I come up with virtually *0* on publisher search. hmmmm... NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
REJ

REJ
PostSun May 05, 2002 3:29 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions. Big Four Ice Caves and Northwest Press are not listed in Books in Print. Northwest Press is not in the phone books. I suspect that Harry Majors was Northwest Press. Northwest Press published Northwest Discovery, which for which Majors was the editor. I also believe that Northwest Press published his Monte Cristo guidebook. The Seattle, Tacoma, King County, Snohomish Libraries do not list the publication. I will have to call the Forest Service this coming week.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostSun May 05, 2002 7:09 pm 
Hey REJ, I have a signed copy of that book that Harry sent me. It's about 50pp, all on the Ice Caves trail (well, a little bit on Big Four Mountain and the Big Four Inn too). Extremely detailed description of the trail. The only place I've seen it for sale is the Verlot Ranger Station. I wish he'd send them to the various libraries! Harry, if you happen to read this (I doubt it): consider it! The proprieter at the Silverton antique store (hmmm... maybe you can buy it there also?) said Majors and McClollum were working on the next update of their hard to get "Monte Cristo Area". This was two years ago. He said they lived on one of the San Juan islands. I know it takes them quite a while to research each trail but I hope they find the time to update their excellent tome. It's available for $80+ on abebooks.com, very rarely. Various libraries have them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Karen

Karen
PostMon May 06, 2002 9:00 am 
I got my copy of the Big Four Ice Cave book at the little store in Silverton a couple years ago. I'd check there, ask the proprietor. I'd be willing to bet if he doesn't sell the book he could help you locate a copy.

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder