Forum Index > Trail Talk > Any Ideas For Saturday?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 17, 2002 4:08 pm 
Reading the weather report it sounds as if Saturday is going to be the better of the two days this weekend. Anyone have any good ideas? Did Persis last weekend and that was as bit too easy wink.gif. Lookin' for something with around 4000' of elevation gain or more. I want to be feeling it the next day tongue.gif.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Zagi

Zagi
PostFri May 17, 2002 4:38 pm 
Do Preacher. 5000' of gain and some of the best views around the M FK area. You shouldn't have any problem with it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostFri May 17, 2002 6:19 pm 
Try Ruby mountain off Hwy 20. Excellent trip with spectacular views. 5,600` gain in 4 miles, that will definitely make you feel it the next day! I did it last weekend. Crampons and snowshoes not needed, ice axe highly recommended. See write up at WTA site if interested. cool.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri May 17, 2002 7:30 pm 
Troublesome Creek, where else? This date's been scheduled for a year - and then the sun comes out! biggrin.gif Not for people who want to do 4000'+, however. Probably I'll stop at the snowline, which can be surprisingly high on those SW slopes. I hope to hit the trail around 8:00am. Look for the blue Mazda parked by the bridge.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri May 17, 2002 8:36 pm 
Where the heck is this Mt. Persis, anyway? Can't find it in any of my zillions of books.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri May 17, 2002 8:59 pm 
Catwoman. See http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/021199/hike11.html Currently the road is currently open, but only up to the washout (see this topic for more info).

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri May 17, 2002 9:03 pm 
Just west of Mt Index. Check "Footsore II", :"Becky I", and the WTA trip reports - not to mention discussion on this site.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat May 18, 2002 12:35 pm 
Looks like my Saturday is shot. I had a morning obligation, and I woke up with a nasty headache. Guess I'll spend the day getting my place ready for a house guest coming next week. I'm hoping to get out on Sunday, maybe to Cayuse Pass in MRNP since it's open now. I'll have to check on trail conditions for the East Side Trail. I need to get out and stretch my legs a bit.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSat May 18, 2002 3:22 pm 
My, day turned out to be shot, babysitting. We were going to bike in from Deer Creek to B 4. But then they opened the rd. last night. So we were going to go up there then it started raining and clouding up. Ended up going out to lunch and buying clothes and shoes for the kid... Ice Girl Hey, Scrooge how was you bushwacking??

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat May 18, 2002 6:08 pm 
I've decided to take up hiking. waah.gif Contrary to the "mostly sunny, high around sixty" forecast, Troublesome Creek was cold and grey - and the rain started about noon. Add my own "snow free" prediction: the snow started about a mile in and continued in patches with about 50% of the ground covered. And add the worst winter TC's had since I've been going up there, fresh blowdown everywhere, the "trail" littered with debris. And add that the snow's just melting so all the brush is still mashed down so you mostly can't tell where the route went. It took me 3 1/2 hours to get past the confluence, across the West Fork (my "bridge" still in place), and started up the Middle Fork. I'd finally found a place where I thought I could cross the MFk into new territory - when the rain started. :angry: That's "how", Ice Girl. paranoid.gif

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSat May 18, 2002 6:22 pm 
Sorry, Well you know mine didn't go much better... What is everyone doing tomorrow??? I (unless it is raining are kid free) going hiking, somewhere.... Ice Girl

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat May 18, 2002 6:56 pm 
I drove up the N. Fork Snoqualmie road. It seems like they've fixed alot of the pot holes. It's no longer a minefield, just a few here and there. At about the 17 mile point (rd 57) there is what looks like a sink hole developing. At first I thought it was a pothole and drove over it. I turned around shortly after that due to snow on the road and got out on the return to look at it. It's a little worse than a pothole, maybe 1-2 feet deep. I inhaled as I drove over it to make my car more bouyant and hit the gas to make my car sail farther. Does this technique really work?

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat May 18, 2002 7:36 pm 
Guess I did good! I headed on over to the Olympics where it was sunny, blue skies, and tank top and shorts weather. I just went to Staircase to do some mileage on the minute elevation gain trail to Big Log for the day. However, my shoulder has been absolutely killing me lately, and the weight from my pack was quite uncomfortable, if not painful. I still went on but I figure I went about 5 1/2 miles in to just past Madeline Creek (about 11 rt). Oh crap! I just looked at my map (oops! I forgot to take it with me) and I was at most only half mile away from Big Log! Shoot, if I'd have known that!...... Oh well. Anyway, my shoulder was killing me and that darn tripod wasn't helping. Oh, another lucky break was when I arrived at the ranger guard station at the entrance of the ONP, it was unattended and the sign said "proceed forward". So, didn't have to have a pass or pay!! Woo hoo! Can wait till another day! I was thinking that maybe it just wasn't opened yet for the season, but when I got back to my car, the vehicles parked next to me had paid and had their receipts in their windows - time stamped merely 25 minutes after I'd gotten there! What luck! smile.gif As for wildlife..... saw a deer on the road around Lake Cushman, saw two snakes (unless it was the same one twice), saw lots of hummingbirds (unless it was the same one following me), heard owls, saw fresh bear tracks..... Anyway, twas beautiful over there! Ya'all shoulda come with me (and carried my pack)! suuure.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostSat May 18, 2002 8:36 pm 

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 18, 2002 9:29 pm 
He he, I had a feeling the weather was gonna schmuck so I slept in and was a schmuck. Glad I did tongue.gif.