Forum Index > Trip Reports > Columbia Mountain Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 8:50 pm 
Did this hike a few weeks ago and plan on heading up there again this weekend to do Wapalloosie Peak which is on the same trail only a little further north of Columbia. Got to Sherman Pass, between Republic and Kettle Falls on highway 20, around 7:30 and reached Columbia mountain summit about noon - goofed around along the way. The snow was pretty deep and I sank up above the knees in a few spots even with the 1030s. Took lots of photos and put them on the website if anyone's interested. Great views to the west during the entire trip. Hoping somebody here might be interested in a few trips into the Priest Lake area (Bee Hives, Chimney Rock...) this winter?!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 9:14 pm 
#1 Great picture, thanks. #2 Too far for me to travel, but thanks for the invite anyway. #3 What site has the pictures? Ah, now I see, www.spotly.com, from your profile. Cool. Nice site, I just signed your guestbook. Welcome.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 9:25 pm 
Spotly, While the hike is a long way from where most of us live it is nice to see the report. Please keep posting reports as they remain in the database and some of us can use the info when we venture over there. Nice photos. I'm not sure I like that "5 degrees to start and it got colder" business. smile.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 10:41 pm 
Now, now, let's not be too hasty here. I love the Kettle Range and would love an opportunity to hang with the locals and see the secret wonders of the area. I love long drives and consider the drive half the fun of a trip! Alas, I'm in school this winter, and can't get away for a chunk 'o time this year, but next year is a different story. Actually this summer is a different story. Spotly, keep the reports coming, please! I am very interested in your side of the tracks. Perhpas we can hook up this summer?

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 11:13 pm 
Always ready to get out on the weekends. If you're ever by this way, drop a line and we can check out the local spots. Lots of good stuff in the Idaho Panhandle too.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Jan 06, 2004 11:22 pm 
Great to hear your report from the cold of winter. As many know, I hiked your areas a lot last year and not a single step, not a single mile driving the rig, was the experience not great! Kettle Range treated me to Wapaloosie Mountain, White Mountain, Kettle Crest South, Mount Leona, Marcus Trail / Copper Butte (Copper Butte from the west, not the shorter east approach), Snow Peak, Edds Mountain, and Barnaby Buttes. I saw only one other hiker the entire summer in the Kettle Range. When I'd see another car at a trailhead, I'd never see the hiker/mtnbiker/hunter. I will be up in the Priest Lake area, Sandpoint/Bonners Ferry areas a lot in 2004 but not likely until March/April, and then through October I'll be returning. Last year I did the full Upper Priest River Trail and the Lakeshore Trail by Priest Lake. Other stuff took me to the Cabinet Mountains in Montana. But there is also a lot just east of Sandpoint that is on my 2004 list. I assume you've done much north of Spokane in areas like the Salmo Priest? Did many trails there in 2003 as well. It doesn't take but one trip to the Inland NW and you find the 5-6 hours to get there goes by quickly and doesn't seem very long at all up.gif I typically do my trips as 3-4 day length, see as many trails and road pullouts as possible for my photogrpahy to get jazzed up. Maybe we'll hook up for one day during my many trips there---you could easily come join up w/me wherever I'm at on any of the trips. Sandpoint is only an hour or so away! Bonners Ferry about 1.5 hrs?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 6:36 am 
Nice photo Spotly. It's a pleasant change to hear reports from other parts of the area. I've got property around Boundry which seems to be a neat hiking area even tho I haven't done much. Keep posting as you can. N

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.

PostWed Jan 07, 2004 5:59 pm 
Spotly, How about Harrison Lake in winter? I can't go with you, but I can give you this.
N Id.
N Id.

Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 7:10 pm 
Very nice. We've been thinking about going up there to Bee Hives on the 17th of this month. Did you need a snow machine to get up the road to the trailhead? I've got 4-wheel drive but the raod to the Chimney Rock, Bee Hives, Harrison trailheads is pretty remote and I'm not sure how much traffic it gets in the winter.

PostWed Jan 07, 2004 8:13 pm 
That trip was late March. But we walked the road in snowshoes an estimated 6 miles. frown.gif We were young and dumb. If you haven't already, be sure to check out (from memory) Bottleneck, Two Mouth, Snow, Roman Nose, Cook, Caribou, West Fork, Hidden Lakes. There is so much crammed in the upper Panhandle. up.gif PS: Is that Harrison Peak behind the folks in your avatar?

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 8:26 pm 
Spotly, had you folks hiked Edds Mtn pre-fire? I was up there this past spring, and even though half burned, it is among the prettiest trails/summits. The brilliant purple penstemmon against the blackened logs was striking. I'll have to dig up a photo. I was impressed with the size of the larches up there! O, wow, I can't wait 'til I can get out your way!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Jan 07, 2004 11:08 pm 
PAP, Yes, that's Harrison Peak in the background. We made it to near the top then it got too technical. One of these days I'll pick up rock climbing. It's hard to sneak that kind of stuff by the wife though smile.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Jan 14, 2004 9:24 am 
Quark, I'm not familiar with Edds Mountain. I suppose it fairly close though if it's in the burn area? If you drag out the pictures let me know. Always interested in finding new trails in our area. We spent some time south of Sherman Peak prior to the fire and it was very nice - tall trees and lots of animals. Any more, the snowshoe hares are about all you see. An occasional deer or bear but not like it used to be. It's still an attractive area though and well worth hiking. The trip from Sherman pass to the White Mountain trailhead is about 14 miles and mostly in the old burn area. We did it last summer and had a really good time.