Forum Index > Trip Reports > Granite Mtn Ascent (Last Sunday)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 3:04 pm 
Sunday, John Solo and I headed out to Tiger Mtn for our weekly hike. As we were coming over Eastgate, the view of the cascades grabbed us and we found ourself driving further and futher. Next thing you know we were at the base of Granite Mountain, Glancing up at the West ridgeline that looked bare all the way to the top. We could see dots in the avalanche gully and patches of bear ground at the avalanche start zones. That was our ticket to the top! Destined to make it to this classic i-90 coridor summit We set off. We definatly had the right gear for the situation. Had panned to train packs for Rainier, so they were fully loaded with your classic winter gear. Up toward the top we went. Ran into the author of the report on WTA, a few times. (Yup we were the "two guies" he talks about) Once reaching the avalanche gully, the head strongness took over and up the chute we went. Normally, I am varry of conditions, but the conditiosn this day were prefect. I was not sure if they would every be so ripe for the rest of the season. Plus at 2 miles this is the normal cut off for my crew. It is not a matter or machoness, but rather more a manner of letting the mountain demand more of you, and realizing at the top that it was worth it all. Also Granite has always been one to instill humility into the hiker. It did so this day. By the time we made the west ridgeline, there were gust up to 45 mph it seems, and I was just about out of the zone. With a short rest, I kept thinking about the Everest Climbers I had heard about at the Second Ascent Lecture on Wednesday. With the almost comical speech about the situation of winds at the top, I could imagine myself there on the side of the Hillary Step. The view south to Rainier was almost as matching... In a sort squint your eyes way. So finally, scrambling up the ridgeline we made the top. There is nothing like coming up the snows towards the blue-grey tower of Granite. Once you stagger above the ridge, to unvail the secered beauty of the peaks of the Alpine Lakes... All the biggies were out, Chair Peak, Kalateen (that has a hypnotic allure), Stuart in the Distance, and Lehman Peak mass (not sure all there names, neet to crack open the maps). It was a view that I typically don't get till the meltings of spring. But this being my Year of the Mountains, I was deturmined not to allow the Cabin Fevor of the Cloudy days of Ballard to set in. Here was home, amoung friends. Seems to make my Geology Classes come alive when you can picture it in one grand view. There were two skiers who spoke French on the top. I took there pictures and would later send them that night. Worried about Light, Solo and I head down the mountain. we started Glassading, and dropped 2000 ft in minutes... Wild ride to a wild day. Our enthusiaism got the better of us and we continued down the shoot past the trail junction. It was here that the snow was tooo soft, and we post holded our way through 2 miles of thick soupy snow to the parking lot. Well, know better next time... -- Ridgewalker I have two panoramics to those interested I can e-mail them to you, they are 200k per file
Looking South South East
Looking South South East

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers
PostFri Jan 16, 2004 4:56 pm 
Pan East
Here is the Pan to the East of Granite Mountain. I decreased the size so not to hog space. -- Ridgewalker
Core of the Cascades
Core of the Cascades

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSat Jan 17, 2004 12:22 pm 
Great Report and Pictures!