Forum Index > Trip Reports > PNWH Snowshoe & Hike-o-Rama 1/17-18/2004
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 8:32 pm 
Me, Ford, Rainrunner, GoBlueHiker, Hoosierdaddy and D3Fold met up saturday morning at the ONP visitor center in Port Angeles. We headed up to Hurricane Ridge to snowshoe. eek.gif All that good snow from December is gone. It was a sad sight up there. Baren rock and tundra everywhere. But we were above the clouds so we had views! The snow was icy, icy-and dirty. We headed down to Obstruction Point Rd and shoed out to Steeple Rock, where I seperated from the group as they were going up the ridge to glissade and practice self arrest. Ford and me headed back-give him a year or two more and he'll be big enough! The clouds started coming in as I hit the truck. As I was loading up Hikerdrew found me - he had missed us below by 2 minutes! But him and his son got out and shoed another route at least smile.gif After everybody got back we headed to Elwha Valley and set up camp at the Elwha CG. Fogduo and husband were there holding down fort. We were joined by Crwdog not long after. A while later JennieL and her sister showed up-they had missed us also on the ridge-but had shoed also. We had a nice campfire and dinner. We had 13 show up smile.gif It rained all night but we woke to blue skies and sun. Hoosierdaddy had to leave, but the 12 of us decided to go hiking. None had been up the Elwha before so I took them on the Geyser Valley Loop. Just a gorgeous day for being out. Down at the river, just before Humes Ranch we took a break-and got to see 8 elk cross the Elwha river. Oh that was awesome!! They all got to see the cabins and we headed back. As we hit the trucks the skies opened and started raining along with a massive fog. But at least we got the good weather wink.gif Photo 1 is of the 6 of us at Steeple Rock Photo 2 is of the gang at the TH minus Drew Photo 3 is of D3Fold in the fog and sun
Steeple Rock-1
Steeple Rock-1
Elwah Posse-1
Elwah Posse-1
Elwha River Trail-1
Elwha River Trail-1

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 8:58 pm 
Aw, man, I had to work Saturday, or I woulda been there! Sounds like a great time was had by all. I recognize crwdog by the hat. lol.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 9:03 pm 
It was nice getting to meet 3 new ones! I hope you get to make one of the trips soon smile.gif We are planning hopefully an overnighter carcamp at Rainer in late Febuary with snowshoeing.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 9:11 pm 
My only problem is the Sun-Mon-Tues days off thing. If it's a weekend deal, I would probably drive up Sunday morning and join the fun. They close the gate too early for me to make it after work Saturday. One day's fun is still worth the trip! up.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Jan 18, 2004 9:26 pm 
That would work smile.gif We wouldn't be going up the Mt till after 10 am anyways, on that sunday, since we'd have to wait for the rds to be opened. Bummer that you couldn't get in after dark! I always forget they close the gates in winter, and that sucks since the CG is only a 1/4 mile away from the entrance.

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 1:04 am 
Hey, Sluggy! Crwdog told us that he hiked with you at Reflection lakes & had a good time. Ya know...sooner or later we're all gonna meet up somewhere!

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 2:28 am 
HD- it was a blast! Come to Mt Rainier this Sunday, and we'll finally meet up. biggrin.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 5:09 am 
A question not intended as an insult but more out of curiosity...do you PNWH guys ever camp in the backcountry? From reading most of your TR's, I gather that you mainly car camp in established campgrounds and dayhike...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 7:17 am 
Hikerboy-have you read any of the TR's from the summer? We backpack in the summer and early fall. We get more attendee's by carcamping in late fall/winter. Not everybody has winter gear and or the desire to freeze at night. Most of our winter trips are snowshoeing anyways. I start backpacking about April, but carcamp yearround.

foggy

foggy
PostMon Jan 19, 2004 2:29 pm 
Hiker Boy wrote:
A question not intended as an insult but more out of curiosity...do you PNWH guys ever camp in the backcountry? From reading most of your TR's, I gather that you mainly car camp in established campgrounds and dayhike...not that there is anything wrong with that.
No insult taken and ditto to what sarbar replied. I do most of my trip reporting on backpacker.com only because sarbar usually beats me here.